• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

boxing making a come back?

toney

TRIBE Member
Paul Williams did his timber impersonation this weekend against Sergio Martinez. What a great one punch KO ! Very similar to Tarver blasting out Jones ; I don't think Martinez saw his intended target.

Poor Williams couldnt lure Pac / Cotto / Mosley / Mayweather / Berto / into a more lucrative and less risky fight.

FOTY honours await Martinez after this and the one sided beat down against Pavlik.

redeyes

TRIBE Member
^^Martinez is probably going to take the "KO of the year" award as well. that was brutal, it reminded me of Hearns knocking out Duran.

toney

TRIBE Member
Abraham / Froch this weekend .. Froch has impressed me , especially with his narrow win over Jean Pascal. In that fight both took and gave a lot of punishment but Froch competing with Pascal really showed me he's got tools to win fights. Kessler pretty much had to put his career on the line to eek out a decision against him and even a slickster like Dirrell only found marginal success. Even though I've been following Abrahams fights closely and tolerating those german intros and commentators I just think he's a little out gunned by Brit tomorrow.

In other news ..
JJM UD 12 MK .. no brainer.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
^^
if Casa can stop Katsidis, i could see JMM doing it...plus the cut factor with Katsidis
Froch-Abraham - I just fail to see how that fight will be dull unless they both are wary of the other. It's got great potential. I just see it as between a guy who fights 12 rounds and a guy who fights about 8 or 9 (taking the first couple off). Late rounds should be explosive though.

great weekend...Andre Ward, Andre Berto, Caballero, Giovanni Segura fighting too

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Froch is all heart, little footwork in what I've seen of him. Straight brawler.
I like watching him fight though. Will have to check this one out.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

toney

TRIBE Member
^
Hopefully none of us made any monetary wages this weekend .. Fristly Kerouac , the Froch/Abraham fight was pretty boring as it was just so dominate.

Meanwhile Froch did illustrate he's got a lot of boxing tools ; jabbing / hooking / workign the body / lateral movement while fighting backwards all night made the King look rather meekly. Froch is really coming together and a quality opponent for Ward in the finals.

And well , I was dead wrong with Marquez fighting from the outside using his jab and combo punching to keep Katsidis at bay for 12 rounds in a rather boring but technical fight... These two stood chin to chin and dished out a lot of punishment from the inside. The knockdown was a perfect shot putting Marquez on his back but no one told Marquez that. The stoppage was a little haste but only barely.

redeyes

TRIBE Member
I was completely shocked that Celestino Cabellero lost this past weekend. he was the most avoided fighter in the game, next to Sergio Martinez.

toney

TRIBE Member
^
Somthings wrong when a fighter moves up a weight class but fails to make weight ... All the credit to the 13-1 underdog. But that's two lanky (freak) but feared fighters that get a L on their record in two weeks. At least PW did everything to avoid the rematch before getting KTFO.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

toney

TRIBE Member
I thought Morales / Maidana was going to be a blow out, watching a aged future HOF get belted for a few rounds and collect his last HBO PPV check. But it turned out to be a fantastic display of back and forth action and Morales looking great in a few rounds (cyclops and all). I dont see the same thing happening with Mosley / Pac ; But regardless we have to watch.

Prediction : Pac KO 7 and be the first to stop Mosley. I think Mosley's 'Maidana' fight was against Margarito and now he's against too tough of an opponent who has too much speed and power. True Mosley has had his worst outings against slick boxer punchers like Forrest / Wright / Mayweather and done well against forward fighting Mexicans. And had this fight been made in 2006-7 at 144lbs Mosley would've been a substantial favourite but the fight would still have been close IMO. One things for sure, it doesn't have that feel of a major fight.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
bold pick, nice!
have a hard time seeing it myself...if he couldn't inferior, stationary guys like Clottey and Margarito out of there I dunno...but we could see an accumulation stoppage or corner stoppage. But my gut says 8-4 type decision. I'm not sure Manny takes that punch that Floyd got hit with in the 2nd by Shane without falling. But Shane just can't pull the trigger enough to finish any impressive punch he lands IMO
Should be fun...love how the bout's taking place a week after the "requiem" for boxing.

toney

TRIBE Member
Pac didnt KO Clottey b/c of his defence. His elbows cover his liver and his gloves reach his temples when he turtles-up.. and he stayed that way 2.40 of every round. Marg is just an animal and you'd need a sledge hammer to KO leatherface. And neither guy was trading a lot and therefore didn't risk getting hit with a punch they didn't see. But think about Mosleys little pump jab and how ineffective it is against a faster fighter. Mosley can bang with the right hand only in single shots and even when he fought a prime Cotto he didn't show enough that he can beat this Pac. But you're right it might be a TKO due to accumlation.

Redeyes - Im out this weekend in Ottawa ; we'll have to link for Hopkins / Pascal this month. Cheers.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Norm Macdonald just threw down $25000 on Manny.
if he's right, he'll get back $28,125.
i think Mosley will win.

toney

TRIBE Member
^

I think Manny wins ; but putting $25K at risk to win $3125 is just crazy. I'd rather put a $1000 on Mosley to win $5000. Especially after reading kerouac's latest piece.

Hopkins / Pascal faceoff with Max Kellerman is worth the watch for a good laugh.

slice

TRIBE Member
Holy that was a boring fight. Manny played right into Mosley's pace.

He could've destroyed him at will but chose not to, I got a feeling this was going to be boring just from the way they were being with each other before the fight. Too friendly friendly I like you you like me bs.

What the hell was up with that clear push by Mosley that counted as a knock down? Geez.

Perhaps this was Manny's (and team) ploy to give Gayweather some confidence into accepting to fight.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
Perhaps this was Manny's (and team) ploy to give Gayweather some confidence into accepting to fight.

as crazy as it sounds I was thinking the exact same thing!

Manny was not being Manny out there at all, he was trying to box with Mosley straight up instead moving and delivering from all angles like he usually does

oooooo eeeeee what up with that?

toney

TRIBE Member
Sparring session at best. Like Rafael wrote , touch gloves at the beginning and hug at the end but in between its WAR. I think Pac has lost some of that killer instinct and Mosley was really playing the nice guy card and appealing to Pac's outside the ring character to not have a ... fight. Maybe Mosley should've taken it one step further and go work Pac's corner in between rounds?? ch33se

toney

TRIBE Member
Actually the beef between Golden Boy and Top Rank is getting more interesting .. Firstly , Arum will avoid a third fight w/ Marquez if Golden Boy matches the offer .. and if you look on Boxrec, Mayweather / Ortiz is scheduled the same weekend in Sept as Cotto / Margarito ... Now that's a fight !

toney

TRIBE Member
Marg's rep has recovered a little after the beating he took from Pac and Mosley .. Live by the plaster / die by the plaster. The second match should still be a good fight. As for mayweather / ortiz ; I'll believe it when all contracts are signed.

toney

TRIBE Member
Nothing is ever this logical .. but here's a try ,

Jean Pascal v Bhop
W Pascal

Diacounu v Dawson
W Dawson

Bute v Pavlik
W Bute

Ward v Froch
W Ward

---

Dawson v Pascal
W Pascal

Bute v Ward
W Bute

Bute v Pascal ; Biggest and most meaningful fight in Canadian Hx.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
I no authority on boxing but how in the he'll did Pascal even have a title to lose....jab to stomach was working but no follow up just to set up a fake jab and then a swing for the fences hook that Hopkins saw coming last week... I was embarrassed for him actually because he had nothing for Hop and he's a very lucky man that Hop is a old fart because young hop would have ended him

I'm sure Pascal is better than I think but yesterday he couldn't have beaten a 90yr old Hopkins