• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Bouncer jailed for blinding student

Galactic Phantom

TRIBE Member
A nightclub bouncer has been jailed for five years after pushing his walkie-talkie into a student's face so hard his eyeball burst open.
Martin White, 26, of Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, attacked law student David Lowe, 25, in the Lizard Lounge nightclub in Clifton, Bristol.

White was convicted of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and assault occasioning actual bodily harm, at Bristol Crown Court last month.

Another bouncer, Robert Handford, 45, of Horfield, Bristol was cleared.

Mr Lowe, a former county cricketer, was celebrating the end of his university exams at the club in June 2002 when the assault happened.

Drunk and tired, he was asked to leave because he kept falling asleep, but annoyed the bouncers by failing to do as they asked.

The court heard Mr Handford began dealing with Mr Lowe "reasonably well" by trying to stand him up and get him out.

But White then became involved and as the student lay on the floor, grabbed him in a headlock and rammed his heavy walkie-talkie into his eye, the jury was told.

Robert Davies, prosecuting, said this "completely unnecessary action" caused the eyeball to explode and the lens to eject from the eye.

Fractured shoulder

White then dragged Mr Lowe by the belt and leg over steps and carpet out of the club "like a bag of old rubbish".

A barmaid said she later saw White washing blood off his walkie-talkie in the sink behind the main bar in the club.

Mr Lowe underwent four hours of surgery and was left blind in his left eye.

His shoulder was also fractured in the attack.

His co-ordination and depth of perception have been affected and he now wears a cosmetic device to build up the left side of his face.

Sentencing White to five years, judge Patterson told him: "It was your duty to ensure peace in the club.

"Instead, you attacked without provocation."

"Mr Lowe was on the threshold of his working life, he was a keen sportsman who played cricket at a county level.

"He may never have the pleasure of playing such activities at that level again."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/bristol/3485373.stm

Published: 2004/02/13 11:15:40 GMT

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher
I would never mess with a Bouncer..
Doesnt matter.. they'll stab you in the eye with their walkietalkies all the same.

learn from this story. Bouncers are blinders. :)

[rod and todd]Smokers are jokers! SMOKERS ARE JOKERS![/rod and todd]

KiFe

TRIBE Member
p.s. if he was any kind of a law student, that bouncer would have been jailed for 10 years.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
do not equate... no. do not EVER use soundstream and stirfry in the same sentence, especially when discussing humour.

one is lame grampa-esque

the other is top-notch.

cease-and-desist

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Cri

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SneakyPete
If you don't like it, turn a blind eye.
baha..pete :rolleyes:

and stir-fry..don't mean to offend :p

I promise I don't groan at your jokes like I do at soundstreams ;)

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
In peterborough last year a someone got paralized bc the bouncers through him out of the club and he broke his neck. The club was Sin City.

Bouncers are so rough.
They think they're cops.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hawk Eye

Bouncers are so rough.
They think they're cops.
In Ottawa a few years back... I was walking by a club called RJ's and there was a fight that broke out between a drunk and a police officer,... the police officer was trying to call for backup when he got suckerpunched.

So the bouncer(about 6'3" and 250lbs of muscle) picked up the drunk in the air and whipped him against the wall. The drunk was out cold, and was bleeding profusely.

The Drunk was brought to the hospital and then arrested.

The bouncer got an award.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hawk Eye
Bouncers are so rough.
They think they're cops.
WTF?

My Dad's a retired cop and he didn't throw people around.

And Mongo Idiot, is a Mongo Idiot.

pr0nstar