1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

"borrowing cable"

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by joosh, May 31, 2005.

1. joosh

joosh TRIBE Member

I just moved into a new place. The people who lived here last said they got free cable tv with their cable internet by just taking off the filter on the box outside. So I got someone to do that... tisk tisk... but still no cable tv... what gives?

2. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

You suck at life?

Seriously, you just unscrew the inline filters, hook the cable back into the box and you get everything (even digital if you have the receiver)

3. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Actually I don't think you can get digital as the terminal/receiver has to be authorized from their end. However, you will get all the channels if you remove the filter. On a side note, if you subscribe to Rogers internet service and you don't subscribe to their TV offering (which forces you to pay an extra $10/month) you can actually still get basic cable for free without taking off any filter.

Lobo

4. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

I know people who are getting digital here in B-town using receivers they've bought used. Apparently Cogeco doesn't decommission the UIDs of those old receivers.

5. joosh

joosh TRIBE Member

actually i took off the filter and still no cable... so...?

6. The Kid

The Kid TRIBE Member

must not be the right line going into your house.

7. octo

octo TRIBE Member

you gotta reconnect the two ends that were seperated by the filter:p

i used to get free cable like that but then they put the filter at the box somewhere down the street

8. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

you have disconnected the whole neighbourhood!!!

9. joosh

joosh TRIBE Member

i guess thats what they did here... cause the filter is gone on the box outside here but still no cable

10. g0nz0

g0nz0 TRIBE Member

just pay for the service you fucking wanker.

11. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Agreed.

Also keep in mind that if someone in your neighbourhood calls in for a service call, they will find you hooked up illegaly and disconnect you......and probably put a locked filter on your line.

12. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

Also, a neat thing that I discovered awhile ago

- If you have a digital cable box, but just basic cable, jump upto stations 802+, and you'll get digital copy of stations like comedy, teletoon, TLC, etc (upto the 60s or 70s).

Nice way to get those stations w/o paying extra for them. Renting the digital cable box is an extra $8/month or something.

13. Yourmamas

Yourmamas TRIBE Member

Did you remove the filter inside the box?

Small cillinder, silver, maybe inch and a half long?

14. slingshot

slingshot TRIBE Member

does anyone know if..

can you use the same outlet for both internet and tv - just using a splitter?

ss

15. g0nz0

g0nz0 TRIBE Member

Re: does anyone know if..

that is exactly what happens, but they dont want you splitting the "internet" cable. tjhe line that runs into your residence is split, one to the modem, the rest to tv outlets.

16. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Plus if you split the line running to your modem you could slow down or kill your connection if the signal drops too much.

17. joosh

joosh TRIBE Member

yes thats done... no dice../. any idea?

18. deveator

deveator TRIBE Member

thou shall not steal![​IMG]

19. slingshot

slingshot TRIBE Member

Re: Re: does anyone know if..

Do you know if they use a signal amplifier at all? I tried splitting and my modem would just blink!

ss

20. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Simon, afaik it is not as simple as just splitting the signal. The TV signal can dirty up the signal sent to the modem, consequently you get poorer speeds / disconnections etc. Normally what they do is run a line straight from the box outside to your modem so that there is no line noise.

21. Chubbs

Chubbs TRIBE Member

Stop being a cheap ass and just pay for the shit.

22. kennyboy

kennyboy TRIBE Member

Just pay for it.

23. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Or better yet turn off your TV.

24. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

Why is everyone up in this person's ass for wanting to steal cable?

And how many of you are guestlist jockying, torrent leaching, mp3 hoarding muthafuckas?

25. joosh

joosh TRIBE Member

enough said... thanks