• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

border crossings and criminal records

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
A friend of mine is being offered a job which will require extensive travel. He's apparently got a b & e from 6 years ago which may or may not be destroyed from his record (I don't know how these things work).

Anyway. How will this affect his ability to travel into the U.S.?

Craigee

TRIBE Member
Your buddy should think twice.

I have friends who have records, and even if you get it pardoned, you can still be refused entry to the U.S. Especially since 9/11 they view it as their right to find out what your record is, expunged or not, and act according to their own whims. He shouldn't necessarily spend a whack of dough to get the pardon, because it might not even work.

Caz

TRIBE Member
I walked over the border yesterday from Niagara Falls to NY and the customs officer asked if I had been arrested. I said "yes" when I was a kid and proceeded to tell her the story of myself and this kid Ryan who broke a window at the high school beside our elementary school when we were in grade 6. She let me in.

Hope this helps!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
suggest you follow the procedure to get your record destroyed if at all possible (don't know if you can do that for B&E) ... you will have to coordinate between the RCMP and whichever police service arrested you (both will have a record)

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
suggest you follow the procedure to get your record destroyed if at all possible (don't know if you can do that for B&E) ... you will have to coordinate between the RCMP and whichever police service arrested you (both will have a record)
laffeaux. it's not me, i just got back from the U.S. I think he did try to get the records destroyed. I guess he had better hope they were successful in doing so or he's out of a job.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
jared k said:
even if you've just been arrested (not even convicted) you can be denied entry.
This is 100% true. I was interrogated at the border for over an hour because I was arrested on ludicrous grounds...I wasn't even charged!

In any case, I would strongly recommend looking into the requirements for getting the charges cleared from the records...I have to do the same thing because of how extensively I usually travel.

Hamza

TRIBE Member
The officers at the US border has a lot of descretion when it comes to ambigious shit like this.

It all depends on what profile you fit, if you fall in an inadmissible category...forget about it.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
The Criminal Records Act was passed by Parliament to help people who, although convicted of a criminal offence, have served their sentence and have proven to be responsible citizens. The Act permits the National Parole Board to issue, grant, deny or revoke a pardon for convictions under federal acts or regulations.

If a pardon is in force, any federal agency or department that has records of convictions must keep those records separate. They may not disclose the information in these records without permission from the Solicitor General of Canada.
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/home_e.shtml

http://www.npb-cnlc.gc.ca/pardons/pardon_e.html

Last edited:

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
~atp~ said:
This is 100% true. I was interrogated at the border for over an hour because I was arrested on ludicrous grounds...I wasn't even charged!

In any case, I would strongly recommend looking into the requirements for getting the charges cleared from the records...I have to do the same thing because of how extensively I usually travel.

that's cuz you're a dirty terrorist

soulbrother 10

TRIBE Member
Yes, you can get a pardon. Which is good for Canada. However, I'm not sure the US authorities recognize the pardon. If you are a convicted criminal like me (for possession of pot), and you want to travel freely across the US border, I believe you must apply to the US Consulate for a visa of some sort. Otherwise you take the risk of running into the wrong US border officer, who takes great pleasure in refusing to allow your lowlife criminal ass to enter his country.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
The best is crossing once you have a visa. Its like an express card. You show it they flip to picture in passport, you put your index finger on the reader. Generally they say "Have a great day" and your done in less than a minute.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
~atp~ said:
Yeah but down here we got the DHS to protect us from subversives like you. Moreover, things have never been better.

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
No criminal charges but my buddy had 2 unpaid speeding tickets that he forgot about. He went to the states for a few days when he was coming back to Canada through Niagara Falls Canada Customs ripped apart his car. Took out and apart everything in his car, they even tested the cards in his wallet for traces of drugs. They used the unpaid ticket thing as probable cause for the search and told him that the US border agency red flagged his vehicle on crossing into the states a few days earlier.