• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Book Shopping Help: Greg Egan, Will Self

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
So I have an Indigo gift card.

I was totally blown away by Egan's Distress, so I want to buy another book of his to read and own and force upon my friends, who will love me for it. This is what's available, Egan fans tell me which to get:

Axiomatic
Permutation City
Diaspora
Luminous
Schild't Ladder

Will Self I haven't read yet, but I'm dying too. I'm really interested in Dorian, but I hear Great Apes is, well, great, and I've also been told to start with his short stories, so I was thinking of getting Tough Tough Toys for Tough Tough Boys.

So, people who have read these authors, please advise me which book from each to get!

seeker

TRIBE Member
Of the Egan stuff I've read, I found Quarnatine to be the best. Diaspora and Permutation City were also very good.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Casey
Great apes made me angry. Very angry.
Angry in the good way or angry in the bad way?

Quarantine is listed as Temporaraily Unavailable to Order. Poo on that. So seeker, if you had to PICK between Diaspora and PErmutation CIty, what woudl you do?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Casey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
Angry in the good way or angry in the bad way?

Quarantine is listed as Temporaraily Unavailable to Order. Poo on that. So seeker, if you had to PICK between Diaspora and PErmutation CIty, what woudl you do?
Angry in a bad way. There were a lot of things I disliked about the book, however everyone else I know who read it loved it. I guess you'll just have to read it and decide for yourself.

seeker

TRIBE Member
I just read Permutation City. It was a little 'lighter' than Diaspora, in terms of the technical/science stuff.

I think I would read Diaspora again before Permutation City. Look forward to a dense -- but a highly enjoyable -- read. :)

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
I'm certainly not intimidated by the prospect of a 'dense' read!

However, I KNOW there's more Egan readers on this board, so perhaps this little bump can draw them in here for an opinion or two.

They do have Cock and Bull, so perhaps I'll get that.

Casey

TRIBE Member

They do have Cock and Bull, so perhaps I'll get that.
Do it, seriously. Two stories, women grows penis, man grows vagina. Good times. I laughed a lot when I read it.

seeker

TRIBE Member
I'm certainly not intimidated by the prospect of a 'dense' read!

However, I KNOW there's more Egan readers on this board, so perhaps this little bump can draw them in here for an opinion or two.
I say 'dense' but you can interperet it as 'technical' or 'hard science'. When I first started reading Egan, I knew virtually nothing about quantum mechanics. His books always seem to incorporate that in one way or another. So while I could read them and enjoy them, there were a lot of parts that I didn't really understand and just had to 'accept'.

The density I was having difficulty with was my own. :D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

tayo

TRIBE Member
I keep trying to read Will Self's books but I can never get into them. I tried to read Great Apes and The Quantity Theory of Insanity. Usually I can force myself to read anything but I just couldn't grab hold of his stories so I gave up on both of them. Plenty of people like him though.

vox

TRIBE Member
greg egan is actually one of the few people who are writing stand-out "hard" science SF nowadays.

it's pretty refreshing...i think...

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Okay, we'll go with Cock and Bull and Diaspora, and since the last is only ten bucks, I can also get Perdido St Station by China Mieville!

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
diaspora was great.

i also just finished perdido street station and got totally devastated by it. and loved it. fuck you china mieville. FUCK YOU!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sam

TRIBE Member
I would also highly recommend "The Sweet Smell of Psychosis" by Will Self. I really enjoyed that book.

-sam

kodos

TRIBE Member
Damn publishers gouging people with those $25+ "trade" paperback releases... I'd have more egan now if it weren't for that shite.

China's next on my list... I'm starting to suffer from going through my stack of 'questionable' reads... I picked up this Heinlein book and so far I'm not surprised that its been over a hundred pages of some guys sitting around having a very extended conversation about nothing in particular...

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Which Heinlein? I like heinlein, but hte only book of his I'd really consider a must-read is Stranger in a Strange Land.

ian

TRIBE Member
I enjoyed Great Apes, although the premise wears thin rather quickly. . . he does rescue it a bit later on. . .