1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Book Review "A Game of Thrones"

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by EffinHard, Aug 27, 2003.

1. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

yeah, I know its in the "fantasy" section of the bookstore, but its got me by the balls.

Im on the 3rd book of the 3-book series. I told myself to get away from the genre, and I did for a while, but after 2 years of friends telling me how awesome these books were, I caved.

They were right.

2. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

just wanted to say that I liked this book, there, I said it.

3. Evil Dynovac

Evil Dynovac TRIBE Member

This series of books is far and away the best thing out there these days. It is the books that non-fantasy readers should read as it represents the very best the genre can produce. The drama, intrigue, politics, and magic are just stunning. It is beyond the beyond!

George R. R. Martin is the quest of honour at the World Sci-Fi Convention this weekend in Toronto. I hear they may be releasing the 4th book at this event.

*JOY*

4. Liquidity

Liquidity TRIBE Member

i got about half way thru it... dunno why, but it just didn't suit my reading preferences... (maybe too adventure based instead of character based)

5. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

^^^ Huh?

I urge you to try to read it again.

If anything, this series is ENTIRELY character driven.

I have never cared so much about what happens to all the characters in a book of any genre before this series.

To say that this is not character driven is mindboggling to me.

Give it another shot.

6. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I just finished reading George R R Martin's series. Enjoyed it intensly.

My only complaint is that he has you invest so much time with characters and then he kills them off all of a sudden or when you look back at the book you realize nothing has really happened to a character at all.

7. lok

lok TRIBE Member

Is there any established universe or is it his own?

8. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

The first book was very slow in plot development. The only thing that go me reading the second was a slight curiosity of what happens to the characters. But as a book on its own I found the first book not that satisfying. But the second and third were wicked.

9. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

totally agree, killing of characters like the author got bored or didnt know what else to do with them. I wasnt too happy with the first book, but the first book did set the stage for book two which was awesome.

10. Static EQ

Static EQ TRIBE Member

I was pretty damn impressed with his writing I must say.

11. Liquidity

Liquidity TRIBE Member

aight. i'll give it another shot...

(it'll be while before i do, though. got like 5 other books in my qeue - latest bujold, card, brust, kress <<all great character writers, btw)

12. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

Lok, it's in his own world.

I don't know about the killing off of characters...to me, it makes it more realistic, not "hollywood". A bit grittier.

I was upset when some characters died...but the reason I was upset was that there was stories left untold/wasted potential - kind of like how I'm upset when people die in real life...

13. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

There times in the second book where I "thought" the author was taking the easy way out by killing a character. However, a couple chapters later and it would all make sense. He builds it up and tears it down quite nicely.

14. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

The cool thing about it is that when major characters died, they had a major impact on other storylines that were not felt until later...like distant rumblings...

I don't think the novels make a good read seperately...they are truely a whole

15. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

So where is the "review" part of the post? So far all I can figure out is that you have something attached to your balls, which it seems that you are enjoying. ;)

I am currently working my way through "Object Oriented Programming in C++". I'm and on page 575, and I just can't put this thing down!

Cheers ... Ian :)

16. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

17. Evil Dynovac

Evil Dynovac TRIBE Member

George Martin is notoriously late when publishing. The date for his fourth book has been pushed back and back.

This little note is on his website...

YES, I'M STILL WORKING ON IT. HONEST.

I used to get a lot of email asking me when A FEAST FOR CROWS would be published, so I put a message up here. "SORRY, STILL NOT DONE YET." That one. So now I get a lot of emails asking me when I am going to update the message on my website, since it's been unchanged for months.

It's been unchanged because... well, nothing's changed.

A FEAST FOR CROWS is still not done. I continue to work on it, and I'm making steady progress, but more slowly than anyone would like. Various websites and bookshops have announced various publication dates, but until the book is actually finished and delivered, they are all pure guesswork.

As I have said here before, I am writing as fast as I can, but my first priority is still to make the novel as good as it can possibly be. The moment the book is done I will announce it here. The instant. The second. So if you visit this website, and this notice is still in place, it means I'm still writing.

A number of my readers have suggested that I update this page more often, and include reports on my progress. Not an unreasonable request, but of course the more time I spend writing progress reports, the less time I have to actually work on the book. So I won't make any promises in that regard.

Yesterday I finished another chapter, the thirty-second (though I do move these chapters around from time to time, so it probably won't be the thirty-second when FEAST is finally published). It's an Alayne chapter, and with it in place, I now have 738 manuscript pages in something very close to final draft form. I also have four or five additional chapters, roughly another 100 pages, that are close to completion, and then maybe another 100 to 200 pages of fragmentary chapters, scenes, lines, and notes, some of which will wind up in FEAST, some of which may be pushed into the next volume, of some of which will likely be scrapped. So that's where I am right now.

No, I can't tell you when A FEAST FOR CROWS will be finished, or when it will be published. Not yet. When I know, I'll tell you.

Meanwhile, I am putting up a sample chapter. I hope that it will help a little with the wait. You can read it here. Enjoy.

I thank you once again for your patience.

--George R.R. Martin, October 23, 2003

I heard him read twice this summer and give a lengthy speech. Simply awesome. Some of the chapters for the forth book have been released in various magazines and such. They're fucking good and they're fucking dark man. Winter has been coming for a while, now it is here.

I hope the April date is firm.