• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Book of Mormon - The Musical

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
This deserves its own thread!

Went and saw the Matinee yesterday with a few friends, and absolutely loved it! (I had previously watched a bootleg of the Broadway version, when my fiancée had an audition for the ensemble of the tour, so I knew what I was getting into when i saw the show).

The music was awesome, the performers were top notch and the stage design was equally top caliber. It was great to watch the reaction of many of the silver-haired matinee crowd that's always so prominent. This show will do BIG things to bring musical theater to a more mainstream crowd, with a more diverse crowd appeal.

If you haven't got tickets yet, Mirvish is doing rush tickets (lottery system, 25$ cash tickets available 2 hours before curtain), so I suggest you do so!

alison87

TRIBE Member
I'm not really a musicals person, but a friend invited me to this one and i really enjoyed it. Kinda like watching a live-action South Park episode, with more singing. We also went in the afternoon with the oldies and i decided Toronto has the most awesome bunch of seniors ever.

I very much doubt it's going to suddenly make musicals interesting to people who never gave a shit in the first place, though. I talked to a bunch of guys at work about it and although they love South Park they're not gonna blow $100+ on a stage show. Honestly, i wouldn't've either if my friend hadn't bought tickets. But she did and i'm glad.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
what is the story about? The name + the fact it is a musical is not really drawing me into wanting to go see it.

I'm not opposed to muscials, just not something I normally watch. I liked Rent though, and Les Miserable back in the day. ;)

alison87

TRIBE Member
It's the standard Hollywood story. Superstar Mormon goes to Africa to preach the word, gets disillusioned, redeems himself, etc. It's not really about the story, i don't think most musicals really are. It's got comedy, songs and dancing, and it's so well-paced it doesn't get boring. Some of the set-pieces are straight out of South Park/Team America (complete with Cartman-esque voice and cartoon visuals) so it's pretty accessible. I've only seen two other musicals (Priscilla and Wizard of Oz) and this was the best, if that means anything.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I'm not really a musicals person, but a friend invited me to this one and i really enjoyed it. Kinda like watching a live-action South Park episode, with more singing. We also went in the afternoon with the oldies and i decided Toronto has the most awesome bunch of seniors ever.

I very much doubt it's going to suddenly make musicals interesting to people who never gave a shit in the first place, though. I talked to a bunch of guys at work about it and although they love South Park they're not gonna blow $100+ on a stage show. Honestly, i wouldn't've either if my friend hadn't bought tickets. But she did and i'm glad.
I disagree! I went with two people who have never been to a musical, and two who have. The two who didn't loved the experience , and said they'd love to see more shows.

Yes, tickets can be $100+ for Big national tours and Mirvish shows. However, most of these show offer Rush (Lottery) tickets at $25 if you show up to the box office up to 2 hours before the show. (when i told my friends this, it made them even more interested to see more shows)

You can see lots of great local theater for about 25-30 a ticket too!

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
It's the standard Hollywood story. Superstar Mormon goes to Africa to preach the word, gets disillusioned, redeems himself, etc. It's not really about the story, i don't think most musicals really are. It's got comedy, songs and dancing, and it's so well-paced it doesn't get boring. Some of the set-pieces are straight out of South Park/Team America (complete with Cartman-esque voice and cartoon visuals) so it's pretty accessible. I've only seen two other musicals (Priscilla and Wizard of Oz) and this was the best, if that means anything.
I would also disagree that it's not about the story. Yes, there are some musicals that are just about the singing/dancing (i.e Cats), but the best ones have a strong story and Message (Ragtime, Once on this Island, Warhorse (Not even a musical), Spring Awakening, Billy Eliot, les Mis, Rent, Sunset Blvd, etc...etc)

But, BoM didn't have much story, and ended up mostly with a message of "Its not the story that matters, but the message it delivers" (which was pretty much forced on them by the Mormon Church, or the show would have never been released)

alison87

TRIBE Member
I'll concede to you as the musicals expert - like i said, i've only seen three, and two of them were movie remakes, and one where i was absolutely hammered on pink cocktails (three guesses which one). I'm definitely still on training wheels here.

Personally i find it hard to follow lyrics regardless - people might as well be singing in another language for all i care - and when it's live and there is visual shit going on too? Forget it. Whatever story there might be in those words i'm only gonna get the gist anyway. To me "real" music is better quality songs and TV/movies are better quality stories, but there is a certain buzz about seeing real life people just across the room from you perform. It was like when i saw WWE live and spied Rock exhanging smiles with Steve Austin (they were feuding at the time). Just being there in person makes it a cool experience, even if the production will never measure up to something that's been done in a studio.

Either way Bacchus, be interested to know if your buddies have booked any more shows in the next few months?

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I can definitely see where you're coming from with your ability to follow the story through the lyrics songs. There are lots of times where it's pretty hard to follow, especially of they're dancing across the stage at the same time. There are some that are much more difficult to follow then others. First time I saw Phantom, i had no idea wtf they were saying.

And yes, they both bought tickets to Avenue Q (another show thats much more accessable to your average non-theater goer, or new theater watcher), being performed at the LOT (but, i refuse to support the shows there as they charge $60 for tickets, yet only pay the actors a $30 per performance, and unpaid rehearsal time).