1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Bonsai help!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by WestsideWax, May 16, 2010.

1. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Anyone know of any place in the downtown core that carries diatomaceous soil (granules, not powder)? Dropped our bonsai and shattered the pot earlier today and it seems that most GTA bonsai supply stores are located in lovely remote locales like Hamilton and Markham.

2. WestsideWax

I've been told that with the approaching summer weather, that cactus soil will suffice for now.

3. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Chinatown?

4. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

Diatomaceous soil is found pretty much at any hardware store. It's usually found with the insecticides.

I've never seen it used as a growing medium. Hmmmm. You learn something new everyday. ;)

5. WestsideWax

Yeah, most places carry the powder, but it's also available in granules, which is what's used for bonsai soil - evidently has quite the optimal balance of absorption/retention and drainage.

I ended up calling up a bonsai shop in Markham. The lady I spoke with said that with the dry summer weather approaching, cactus soil would be more than adequate. Happened to have just enough to put it in its new pot this afternoon, with a healthy layer of gravel at the base.

Most of the places in Chinatown just sell the trees themselves, already potted.