1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Bono and Geldoff guest-edit Globe and Mail.

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, May 10, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

The newspaper wars just got rock star editors!

In a major marketing co-promotion to improve the paper's circulation while simultaneously showcasing African issues, the Globe and Mail have aging white rock stars Bono and Geldoff symbolically editing today's special Africa issue.

Since nobody actually reads dailies anymore, the co-promotion will be heavily co-promoted on the Globemedia's CTV network and perhaps even Globemedia's CHUM radio to further increase awareness of the marketing strategy.

It will only be a matter of time before the Star gets Madonna on board as guest editor for "African Orphans and Babies", a special insert.

2. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Bono has also guest-edited The Independant newspaper in the UK in 2006, Vanity Fair in 2007.

3. alexd

So I guess it could really be considered his second career.

I can just picture the back room discussions taking place at Globemedia before this co-promotion was agreed to...

Suit One: " But how can we have any African coverage at all without completing alienating our readers and our circulation plummeting further?"

Suit Two: "I know, well get Bono and that other english guy to say they are editing the paper and then get great shots of them in the newsroom which we can leverage with video and web."

Suit Three: Brilliant! We might even win a Newspaper Award or even a Marketing Magazine Award! But at the very least I'll be able to get Bono's autograph!

4. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

I still read the dailies...on my iphone...for free.

5. alexd

Well, there is an upside to this co-branding ballyhoo.... solacevip got an awesome pic with bono out of it! :)

baconpanbaconpan

6. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

tough to think of two more pretentious jagoffs to edit a newspaper than those two

7. alexd

8. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Well, perhaps, but there are all kinds of people who make that kind of money and do f*ckall with it; and you may not recall this, but when Geldof organized Do they know it's Christmas and put together Live-Aid, no one was doing anything like that (yes, George Harrison had attempted something for Bangladesh earlier, but that was sort of it).

So it's easy to sit back and dump on them of course. I think it's more the paper that should be dumped on for going after them.

9. alexd

Personally, I am dumping on the paper, not the rock stars. Seeing the Globe use in-your- face, cross-promotional marketing like that is very strange IMO. Editorial control is the holy grail of newspaper publishing, and to even symbolically give it away is very strange indeed.

10. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

what would you have them do? circulation numbers have been dropping for years, you and I might take subscriptions but we're in the minority now. It's all about online this and that, video, commenting, all this 2.0 shit. As long as the visiting editors fall within the mandate of the paper, ceding control isn't as big an issue. Besides, do you -really- think they just threw them the keys and went out for a beer? The two of them were editors in name only. Here, use our names, we only ask that you dedicate an edition to our cause (Africa) report on it as you will. Heck the Globe did more or less the same thing ahead of the summer Olympics with a full week's worth of coverage including almost an entire edition devoted to China. Papers and magazines have to try anything they can to get people reading them again. To keep themselves in the public eye. I don't think this waters down the Globe in the least - it actually improves their image, I think - showing them to be progressive, moving with the times.

11. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

I'll keep my points brief. I see it as win win. Sometimes to appeal to the masses it may require something that is unconventional to get the point across. Bono has guest edited other pieces for other publications for the exact same cause. I can't shake my head in disgust at bringing attention to humanitarian efforts, facts, and the possibility that Canada and our leader may in fact may need to do more. Yeah we know Mr. Harper needs to fix things in our country, but why should a continent of people be waiting on crumbs from our table? Bono and Geldof have been singing the same song and doing the same thing for many years now. So this is more than a publicity stunt. It's a stunt to spread some information to get people talking. What an opportune time to do this when Toronto is gonna host the biggest meeting of world leaders.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  12. alexd

Ahh confluence... This reminds me of that film that bought the front cover of Variety for a full page ad to influence the Academy, just before this year's awards. They didn't win an Oscar and are now suing Variety.

13. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

14. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

I hear she's busy writing a book on what it's like being a Jewish British African mother in the 21st century.

15. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

fuck off boner

16. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

yes that's the title ^^ but its a children's book

17. alexd