• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Bonnaroo Music Festival

synchronizator

TRIBE Member
Manchester Tennessee...
35 degrees hot. 100,000 people.
Camping, fun, diverse.

Soooo, where to start...
We get there thursday morning, the drive took about 14 hours, and it took forever to get into the park because it seemed like everyone showed up at the same time... it was packed... the grounds were widespread, very green, and full of hippies...
thursday night wasn't so fun, the drive takes a lot out of you....
i checked out some of cat empire, they are this crazy latin rock reggae group... VERY cool, energetic, a lot of fun to dance to... i was just so exhausted.. my girl alicia decided to stay and check out the rest of the bands, i headed back to camp and went to bed early... got a good sleep, needed to be refreshed for the next day...

friday..
ben folds was the first one i checked out... he was great, i'm not that big of a fan but he played an acoustic (piano only) version of brick... it was the only song i wanted to hear... after brick he says "i wrote this next song with dr. dre" and breaks into a friggen dr. dre song.. lol it was HILARIOUS... something about bitches and hoes? can't remember what it was called... it was priceless though... wish i'd gotten video of it..
cut out early from that and headed over to Donavon Frankenreiter... we listened to him on the way up... total hippie music, really chill though... caught a few minutes of that.. met a couple guys from dallas texas... ended up hanging out with them all weekend the 6 of us walked over to bright eyes...
bright eyes are wicked... conor oberst is fucking wicked... very indie, he's the king of indie right now... i was so impressed with the music... hadn't really listened to much of his stuff before seeing him...
after bright eyes it was off to robert randolph.. i don't know what it was but something about the first little bit that i saw wasn't all that great... they're a total jam band, which is wicked, but i wasn't feeling it... and i love their recorded stuff... i caught about four songs but death cab for cutie was overlapping... that was the one thing that sucked about the weekend, a LOT of bands that i wanted to see overlapped...
death cab!!!! soooo good.. got really close, they played a wicked set as usual, it was a lot better to see them MINUS the fucking fire alarm at ricoh... the crowd loved it, everyone was singing along, they were having so much fun on stage... it was SOOO fucking hot, i felt kind of bad for some of the bands... some stages were covered from the sun, the two big stages weren't really though...
so after death cab there was a bit of a wait going on between that and tom petty... so we kind of hung out around centeroo (centeroo was the band and activity grounds, bonnaroo was the camping area...)... got into some mischief, i lost my friend :( THAT SUCKED... we didn't end up meeting up until the next day... i stayed with the texas boys and their neighbours in the RV... chad... precious texas chad... i'm in love!!!! southern boys RULE...
so tom petty was okay... we hung out at the camp site until tom petty started, and the walk back was kind of far so we ended up missing like 6 songs, and he played all the good ones first... free fallin, last dance with maryjane... it kind of sucked, i REALLY wanted to hear those tunes... but, everyone else walking over around us, we ALL started singing along really loud... it was kind of cool actually... strangers loving music together... there was a whack load of that this weekend...
we were really far back for tom petty so didn't get a chance to see or hear anything that well, but STEVIE FUCKING NICKS came out and sang with him!!!
that was insane! she was out singing with him for like 7 songs or something? it was awesome...
stayed up pretty late, checked out this band called disco biscuits... they're like the new deal, live techno/house music... it was cool..

bedtime, rest up for saturday...

saturday was a more chill day... woke up pretty late in the aft so didn't catch a couple of cool bands early in the day.. clap your hands and say yeah were AWESOME... i love those guys, so much energy, really wicked music...
after that it was gomez...
this band is fucking KILLER... their live show is even BETTER than their records... there's like 7 of them, 2 drummers, 2 lead singers, 2 guitar players and a bass... it was such a full sounding show.... very cool... i think they're here too soon, or just were or something... but i'd check them out again for sure...
BECK RULED!!!! it was hilarious, they had these puppets going in the background imitating the moves of the band... it was so exciting... halfway through the set, beck says "so my band is going to eat some food now" and they sit down, ON STAGE, caterers bring out a pizza, and beck does some acoustic stuff.. played stuff off of sea change, and joked around a bit, started playing creep by radiohead, crowd went nuts... then the band members start playing the glasses for a percussion kind of thing... the puppets were eating too in the background... great set... lots of jokes... was pretty close...
got to go backstage to watch the end of cypress hill... the crowd was freaking out... my girl's bf was there for media so she had a press pass, walked right on back there, they didn't even ask for anything...

RADIOHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my plan was to stay put after beck for a good shot at seeing radiohead, but i got hungry and took off.... right before the show started i met up with my girlfriend, we hung out and then i insisted on pushing through the crowd to get in front, but no one wanted to go with, so i went by myself... got a great spot in the middle in front of the sound tent, right beside the median that was set up down the middle barred off for security... i could see perfectly...

their set was AMAZING.. the new tunes are really incredible... bodysnatchers is a wicked song... a couple of slower ones... very cool... was very impressed... they played for about an hour... then walked off, waiting almost 15 minutes to come out for their encore... they played for another hour for the encore, and another 20 for their second encore...
everything i wanted to hear, a lot of amnesiac, a lot of kid a, a few ok computer, no pablo honey really, but it was an amazing set nonetheless... my first time seeing them... i thought i was going to cry for the entire thing, but it wasn't until the very end of fake plastic trees (end of the first set) when he starts singing "and if i could be who you wanted, all the time" until i burst into tears...
chills baby, chills down my spine..

sunday?
WRITE OFF.
spent the day tripping out... mushrooms!!!!!!!
caught a bit of phil lesh, NOT a dead head, so i didn't care, so we went back to camp and played some guitar and tripped out... went to bed early, monday was going home day and a long drive ahead...

soooooooooooooo
the weekend ruled... came back with a southern accent... lol my friends are making fun of me hardcore right now..

i just wrote a novel... it was good times though... great hospitality, met some friends, i'll definitely be going back next year as soon as i find out the lineup...

PICTURE TIME!!!!

texas and canada! (my bonnaroo bf chad lol)

robert randolph

death cab for cutie

my morning jacket (they were awesome!!!! didn't watch enough to review though)

gomez

beck!!

cypress hill and crowd

radiohead

great weekend... i recommend the festival to anyone who wants to do the long drive...

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
I sooooo miss good festivals. I heard from friends that this was one of the best bonaroos by far and they have gone every year since it started.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

playhouse

TRIBE Member
i went for the first two years... then dmb entered the equation, the promoters decided to be too greedy, and the whole thing went to shit. this year they scaled it back a bit though, so i'm glad you had fun!

also, the disco biscuits sound nothing like the new deal... you should check them out for real sometime, but they won't be coming to toronto anytime soon so you'll probably have to road-trip it.

austin city limits, eh? ;)

synchronizator

TRIBE Member
^^^

i found it was new dealish.... just the whole live techno thing going...
i'm thinking about ACL.... lots of crazy people there this year...

and thank GAWD there was no dmb this year...