• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Bonds received steroids from lab: report

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by -Mercury-
did the shape of your head get all deformed too????

obviously i wasn't positively confirming that their on the 'roids, (the SF chronicle is doing that part) but to deny that something is awry, is just plain ignorant. you can keep your head in the sand if you want, but the fact is that a high percentage of baseball players take steroids.

Wow! Zing, you must have been on 'roids cause that one hurt.

I didn't deny anything, I merely pointed out that comparing two people now, using photos of them from 10 years ago is suspect journalism. You were the one that used the example which I think is a poor one.

You know who fit the 'roid persona to a tee...John McEnroe, funny how no one ever suspected him. But I'm sure in your great wisdom, you would have had it all figured out.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

deep

TRIBE Member
sheer, unadulterated ridiculousness.

you can't make an absolute judgment on what is "hardest" in all sports to do as this is a subjective assesment. it depends on what your genetic disposition / prior training makes you good at, or what dimension you're talking about. hand eye is one thing, what about tolerance to pain? endurance? raw strength? raw speed? body control? all are dimensions in which a sport can vary.

other sports have comparatively hard things to do in such dimensions. hitting a 100mph sinker is hard yes, but so is hitting the hole with the same ferocity in the 4th quarter as in the first. having to do so might be considered harder than not having to play through any kind of appreciable physical pain, which non-contact sports never quite accumulate to the same degree.

as someone who has played at elite levels in the aforementioned sports I wouldn't be so foolish as to say you can simply compare the demands of one sport to another and then make an an absolute judgment on the two.

Last edited:

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
ok, using your specs for what makes something "the hardest thing to do in sports" we can now proclaim "scoring in hockey is the hardest thing to do in sports"

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE SHOOTING PERCENTAGE LEADERS
THROUGH MONDAY, MARCH 1ST

NAME TEAM GP G S PCTG
------------------------- ---------- -- --- --- ----
Peter Forsberg COL 32 17 70 24.3
Gary Roberts TOR 56 22 95 23.2
Pavel Datsyuk DET 65 25 118 21.2
Alex Tanguay COL 63 22 107 20.6
Robert Lang DET 64 29 150 19.3
Mike Ribeiro MON 66 17 88 19.3
Mark Parrish NYI 42 13 68 19.1
Tomas Holmstrom DET 50 12 64 18.8

the top shooter in hockey only scores on .240 of his shots, thus
proving thats the hardest thing evur.

and your helping to make my point about baseball, when you say that this (going up to bat) happens all game long ...... so if you strike out, who cares ...... you're gonna get at least another couple of chances in that game alone, while in other sports you never know if you'll get that chance to score again, 'cuz a lot of things have to happen in order for you to even get a chance.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Listen, back to our discussion

I think there are some merits to what everyone is saying. I think its pretty silly to compare athletes based on a photo as fleaflo has pointed out.

I'm just saying some sort of dramatic increase in muscle over a short period of time, maybe due to great training/genetics, etc. But my suspicion is that they have had some sort of "help".

The bigger issue I think is, do we just quietly ignore this issue and keep business as usual? Or do all professional sports need to have some sort of regulations regarding A/S and performance enhancing drugs/supplements, etc-where is the battle line?

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
sheer, unadulterated ridiculousness.

you can't make an absolute judgment on what is "hardest" in all sports to do as this is a subjective assesment. it depends on what your inclinations / prior training is, what dimension you're talking about. hand eye is one thing, what about tolerance to pain?

other sports have comparatively hard things to do in other such dimensions. hitting a 100mph sinker is hard yes, but so is hitting the hole with the same ferocity in the 4th quarter as in the first.

as someone who has played at elite levels in the aforementioned sports I wouldn't be so foolish as to say you can simply compare the demands of one sport to another and then make an an absolute judgment on the two.

dude, when making comparison's that zorro did, let's take hand-eye for example, it's not ridiculous to say one is harder then another.

there are more elements to take into account in other sports (for example racket sports) then in baseball. he mentioned speed and spin alone. based on those two factors, there are other sports which - on paper - are harder then baseball. never mind the other factors (moving to hit the target).

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep

other sports have comparatively hard things to do in such dimensions. hitting a 100mph sinker is hard yes, but so is hitting the hole with the same ferocity in the 4th quarter as in the first. having to do so might be considered harder than not having to play through any kind of appreciable physical pain, which non-contact sports never quite accumulate to the same degree.

Okay I see your point about football but you still need your TEAM to particapate in some manner in order to help you break through that hole.

It's not about the what 4 ab you say but the number of pitches you face. In Tennis you have a fairly nice size racket to don't you?

Do you know what the difference between a pop up to the catcher and a homerun is??? Millimeters.

butter418

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
Listen, back to our discussion

The bigger issue I think is, do we just quietly ignore this issue and keep business as usual? Or do all professional sports need to have some sort of regulations regarding A/S and performance enhancing drugs/supplements, etc-where is the battle line?

I agree. They should get rid of all the regulations cause I ain't paying 50 bucks to watch wimpy looking 30 homer guys.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vinder
dude, when making comparison's that zorro did, let's take hand-eye for example, it's not ridiculous to say one is harder then another.

there are more elements to take into account in other sports (for example racket sports) then in baseball. he mentioned speed and spin alone. based on those two factors, there are other sports which - on paper - are harder then baseball. never mind the other factors (moving to hit the target).

Harder on Paper???

Besides I see tennis players constantly having sorry for not knowing the lingo but rallys? I think thats what there called.
Anyhow they go back and forth back and forth until on drops one over the others head.

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Zorro
Okay I see your point about football but you still need your TEAM to particapate in some manner in order to help you break through that hole.

It's not about the what 4 ab you say but the number of pitches you face. In Tennis you have a fairly nice size racket to don't you?

Do you know what the difference between a pop up to the catcher and a homerun is??? Millimeters.

dude, if some 350 lb flabio can play professional baseball, i'm not giving that sport any credit :p

p.s. cecil fielder :p

vinder

TRIBE Member
Harder on Paper???

average serve in men's tennis - 120 mph +
average pitch in baseball - i'll be generous and give you 95 mph +

there's more break on a serve then on a pitch

that's what i meant by on paper.

lol, drop it over the other guy's head, you're educated about everything aren't you. have you ever seen a tennis match or played one?

do you play baseball at all? if so, i'll challenge you. i bet i can hit a homerun easier off you then you can hit my serve in tennis.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
dude, if some 350 lb flabio can play professional baseball, i'm not giving that sport any credit :p

He still had to hit the ball.

butter418

TRIBE Member

lol, drop it over the other guy's head, you're educated about everything aren't you. have you ever seen a tennis match or played one?

do you play baseball at all? if so, i'll challenge you. i bet i can hit a homerun easier off you then you can hit my serve in tennis.

I'll take you up on this also I going away and I need some spending money :cool:

Zorro

TRIBE Member

Vinder your on.

Except I suck at Tennis but would still make a fool of myself to prove that you can't hit a homerun off of me.

and no the only time I've REALLY watched tennis is when Grandma watchs it when in town.

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by butter418
I'll take you up on this also I going away and I need some spending money :cool:

werd!

pm me and we'll set it up

the winner will prove once and for all that returning a serve in tennis is harder then hitting a baseball :p

Zorro

TRIBE Member
I live right downtown and I have a batters box on the side of my wall ten feet from my house. Theirs a stoop for fans and the Liquior store is on Front. I say first REAL day of spring and your on. Hey why don't you bring deep and will make two teams up. ;)

silver1

TRIBE Member

Don't forget about John Kruk.

Or the guy who was considered the best baseball player ever. The guy who smoked cigars like a chimney and drank all night (Babe Ruth)

Zorro

TRIBE Member
burbie!!!

p.s ceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeecilllllllllllll

Hey though Seriously you want to play???

I mean I suck at Tennis and would just give you that point although I think I would have as much fun laughing at myself as you would have laughing at me.

But I'm down I haven't thrown a splitter all winter.

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
and no the only time I've REALLY watched tennis is when Grandma watchs it when in town.

bwahahahahahahahahaha

a baseball fan making a joke about tennis being boring.......

ahahahahahahahahaha

good won!

deep

TRIBE Member

I'm of the belief that until someone has had significant experience / accomplishment in either domain that it's not possible to accurately conclude what is harder of the two. It's one thing to armchair quarterback your way through the analysis of a sport, it's another thing to actually experience first hand what it's like.

Which, in effect, is not disagreeing with your point that there are many complexities people fail to appreciate about sports they criticize. And also why I said this argument is silly, because I doubt 80% of people in here have sufficient experience beyond watching TSN to be able to comment.

vinder

TRIBE Member
Hey though Seriously you want to play???

I mean I suck at Tennis and would just give you that point although I think I would have as much fun laughing at myself as you would have laughing at me.

But I'm down I haven't thrown a splitter all winter.

i'd be down, serious.