• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Bonds received steroids from lab: report

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Big shocker, has anyone seen him go from 175 to 218lbs? Very little natural "supplements" will do this but A/S. Giambi, he looks very skinny now that he is off the sauce. His explanation, he has dieted down?

----------------
Bonds received steroids from lab: report
WebPosted Tue Mar 2 11:13:15 2004
CBC SPORTS ONLINE - Barry Bonds was one of several professional athletes to receive steroids from a nutritional supplements lab, according to information given to federal investigators.

Barry Bonds watches one of his 658 career home runs.
(CP Photo)
The San Francisco Chronicle website is reporting that investigators were told the San Francisco Giants slugger received steroids and the human growth hormone from the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO), the lab recently implicated in a steroid-distribution ring.

According to the newspaper, investigators were also told that New York Yankees stars Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield, as well as three other major leaguers and one NFL player, were given steroids by BALCO.

Bonds' personal trainer, Greg Anderson, was allegedly the source that gave the players the drugs from BALCO.


RELATED:

Bonds' trainer, BALCO execs plead not guilty
Indepth: Drugs & Sport
Bonds, Giambi and Sheffield, all of whom testified last fall before the grand jury that indicted four men in the alleged steroid-distribution ring, have denied steroid use.

The three men declined comment Monday when contacted by Chronicle.

"We continue to adamantly deny that Barry was provided, furnished or supplied any of those substances at any time by Greg Anderson," Bonds' lawyer Michael Rains told the newspaper.

These claims could prove especially devastating to Bonds, who has put together one of the best four-year spans in baseball history over the last four seasons, including a record-shattering 2001 campaign.

During that season, Bonds hit an unprecedented 73 home runs. He has hit over 40 homers each of the last four seasons, while also posting an on-base percentage of over .500 for each of the past three years.

Prosecutors released documents last month saying Anderson told federal agents he gave steroids to several professional baseball players; however, none of those players were identified in those documents.

On Feb. 12, U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft announced a 42-count indictment against Anderson, BALCO founder Victor Conte, legendary track coach Remi Korchemny and BALCO vice-president James Valente.

The men are charged with conspiring to distribute performance-enhancing drugs, including human growth hormone and the newly-discovered steroid, tetrahydrogestrinone (THG).

All four men have pleaded not guilty.

with files from Associated Press
 
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
SI.com had a little slide show of before and after of players like Bonds, Giambi and Sosa. Not hard to tell that these guys juiced up on something.
 

lok

TRIBE Member
The thing with steriod use is that if you cycle it properly, you can make it seem as though the gain is just through a lot of hard work...



...up until a certain point, when the proportions are obviously out of whack. Whenever I see a big guy who doesnt look like a juicer, its much more impressive, even more attractive.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
SI.com had a little slide show of before and after of players like Bonds, Giambi and Sosa. Not hard to tell that these guys juiced up on something.

I dont doubt that they were. It may help you hit the ball out of the park, but you still have to hit the ball.
 

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by lok
The thing with steriod use is that if you cycle it properly, you can make it seem as though the gain is just through a lot of hard work...

...up until a certain point, when the proportions are obviously out of whack. Whenever I see a big guy who doesnt look like a juicer, its much more impressive, even more attractive.

Agree 100% that's why I think the "classic look" of bodybuilding back in the 1960-late 1970's is the more aesthetics look. As much as it was about size, it was more about symetry.
 

butter418

TRIBE Member
Is there still anyone on the planet that doesn't know almost all athletes take performance enhancing substances and if they are i bet they still waiting for Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny to arrive with their gifts
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

silver1

TRIBE Member
There was a funny story in Tom Billington's (The Dynamite Kid) autobiography. It was about the first time he was going to give some steroids to his cousin Davey Boy Smith. He was hyping up the roids to Smith and Smith kept asking him to give him some.

Dynamite ended up injecting some milk into Davey Boy's ass. For a week, all the other boys kept "mooing" whenever Smith would come in the room.

Everyone had a good laugh.

P.S. Davey Boy Smith is now dead. He died from a heart attack in his 40's. His autopsy showed that his heart was about 2 times larger then the average adult heart. This was attributed to his years of steroid abuse and was along with his addiction to pain killers, was a direct cause in his death.
 

butter418

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1


P.S. Davey Boy Smith is now dead. He died from a heart attack in his 40's. His autopsy showed that his heart was about 2 times larger then the average adult heart. This was attributed to his years of steroid abuse and was along with his addiction to pain killers, was a direct cause in his death.

I don't think enlarged hearts are a side effect of steroid abouse. I believe that it's some heart disease that has that sympton. I'm not sure what it's called but I will see if I can find it if I have time.
 

Four Twenty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
There was a funny story in Tom Billington's (The Dynamite Kid) autobiography. It was about the first time he was going to give some steroids to his cousin Davey Boy Smith. He was hyping up the roids to Smith and Smith kept asking him to give him some.

Dynamite ended up injecting some milk into Davey Boy's ass. For a week, all the other boys kept "mooing" whenever Smith would come in the room.

Everyone had a good laugh.

P.S. Davey Boy Smith is now dead. He died from a heart attack in his 40's. His autopsy showed that his heart was about 2 times larger then the average adult heart. This was attributed to his years of steroid abuse and was along with his addiction to pain killers, was a direct cause in his death.

So many wrestlers die from freak accidents, it's either like murder, drug abuse or being robbed then shot, once again murder
 

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by butter418
I don't think enlarged hearts are a side effect of steroid abouse. I believe that it's some heart disease that has that sympton. I'm not sure what it's called but I will see if I can find it if I have time.

Having read the obituaries of a few dozen wrestlers in the last few years (from Davey Boy to Perfect to Road Warrior Hawk etc). The majority of the guys were on the juice during their careers. The majority of them had enlarged hearts attributed to years of steroid and HGH abuse.
 

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Easy to blame A/S I think. Then again, there is a huge difference between your average user I think, and those in say bodybuilding and wrestling in terms of dosages and cycle length.

It really depends on the cost to benefits? I mean to these professional athletes it comes down to money/endorsements, etc. If taking some sort of substance is going to ensure my contract through increasing or maintaining my performance. I would guess the majority of would go for it. There is too much at stake not to.

Bottom line, my opinion, most doctors who take a negative stand on this know less than the pro A/S "gurus". I think it will remain that way until more resources are available for research on A/S and doctors are willing to be more objective in that research.

Just my two cents.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD

It really depends on the cost to benefits? I mean to these professional athletes it comes down to money/endorsements, etc. If taking some sort of substance is going to ensure my contract through increasing or maintaining my performance. I would guess the majority of would go for it. There is too much at stake not to.

The thing is, there's a HUGE difference between a young player trying to break through and make it to the big leagues and earn a living for his family vs. a guy who's already at the top of the league and has been for years earning millions.

For one guy it's the difference between making a AAA salary for a few years and subsequently getting dumped vs making up to the majors.

For another guy its the difference between hitting 35-45 homers and making 10 million a year vs. hitting 55-60 homers and making 15 million a year.
 

butter418

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
Having read the obituaries of a few dozen wrestlers in the last few years (from Davey Boy to Perfect to Road Warrior Hawk etc). The majority of the guys were on the juice during their careers. The majority of them had enlarged hearts attributed to years of steroid and HGH abuse.

I don't think a few dozen (pro) wrestlers have died in the last few years. Sounds like you are sensationalizing. Are you trying out for the National Enquirer?
 

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by butter418
I don't think a few dozen (pro) wrestlers have died in the last few years. Sounds like you are sensationalizing. Are you trying out for the National Enquirer?

I wish I was sensationalizing.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Buck Moore, Jack Tunney, Beetlejuice, Hard Boiled Haggerty, Dinty Parks, John Heath ,Naoto Morishita, The Sheik, Ox Anderson, Curt Hennig, Michiaki Yoshimura, Tony Altimore, Sailor Art Thomas, Kodo Fuyuki, Bruiser Brian Cox, Les Kellet, Ray Mendoza, Babs Wingo, Jackie Nichols, Kurt Von Poppenheim, Miss Elizabeth, Duane Allen, Fred Blassie, Core, Jack Curran, Danny Johnson, Mickey Gold, Tug Wilson, Giant Ochiai, Marva Scott, Great Antonio, Pitbull #2, Frank Zela, Stu Hart, Road Warrior Hawk, Floyd Creatchman, Mitsu Hirai, Crash Holly, Ed Sharpe, Dick Hutton, Joey Rossi, Moondog Spot, The Wall, Mike Lozansky, Dan Greer
 

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Zorro
Which is the hardest thing to do in any sport bar none.

^^^^^^^
BULLSHIT!


i love how most baseball players always say that.......

is it really harder than hitting a golf ball straight and acurate??

sure their might be some spin on the ball coming at you, but you're still physically unapposed while you try to hit the ball. it's still just hand/eye coordination.

that's why such noted athletes/coach potatoes as john kruk and kent hrbek can excel at baseball, 'cuz you don't have to be an athlete to play that (unbelievably boring) game.

now compare that to being a RB and hitting a small hole between 2 o-lineman, only to find ray lewis on the other side looking to take your head off, or stepping in the ring with a world class boxer/martial artist, or digging the puck out of the corner while battling todd bertuzzi, etc, etc ........... i think you get the idea

and the whole b bonds being on the juice (along with half the league) is old news....... it's only the getting caught part thats new

like chrisD said, have you seen a side by side photo of some of these guys comparing how they looked when they broke into the big leagues and today, ...they hardly look like the same person

and don't forget sammy sosa too, he might not have been a balco client, but his weight gain was not natural either........
 

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Of course not all died because of steriod related effects or at least so they say but.... I could go on if you'd like and I'm sure most of them had bad health problems do to taking drugs.
 

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Dude the best hitters in baseball get a hit at an avg. rate of .280.

Tell me what sport pays there best athletes HUGH amounts of dollars to fail more often then not.

Golf??? your using golf as an example? sorry man but if 70 year old men can play golf at par then your argument has no substance.

Now on to football. It takes a TEAM of players to create that hole for which the Runningback runs through.

Boxing??? Martial Arts your not really going to go there are you?
Pathatic attempt.

Digging the puck out of the corners against who did you say Bertuzzi??? Your going to compare that to trying to hit a ball that until it's only inchs away from you seems hittable until the bottom drops out and it lands in the dirt while you look silly swing for it???

There is nothing in any sport that compares to trying to hit a baseball and then after making contact trying to put where nobodys going to get it???

Think again.
 

butter418

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Zorro
Buck Moore, Jack Tunney, Beetlejuice, Hard Boiled Haggerty, Dinty Parks, John Heath ,Naoto Morishita, The Sheik, Ox Anderson, Curt Hennig, Michiaki Yoshimura, Tony Altimore, Sailor Art Thomas, Kodo Fuyuki, Bruiser Brian Cox, Les Kellet, Ray Mendoza, Babs Wingo, Jackie Nichols, Kurt Von Poppenheim, Miss Elizabeth, Duane Allen, Fred Blassie, Core, Jack Curran, Danny Johnson, Mickey Gold, Tug Wilson, Giant Ochiai, Marva Scott, Great Antonio, Pitbull #2, Frank Zela, Stu Hart, Road Warrior Hawk, Floyd Creatchman, Mitsu Hirai, Crash Holly, Ed Sharpe, Dick Hutton, Joey Rossi, Moondog Spot, The Wall, Mike Lozansky, Dan Greer

That's a big list but I haven't heard of one third of these people. Seems like wrestling has a high mortality rate though.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top