• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Stan

TRIBE Member
Dear Tribe

I have a friend who is dealing with this. I'd really like to help her out, but I have no idea where to start. So I'm turning to the Tribe Hivemind for help. I understand psychotherapy is probably the best way to deal with it, but I believe it's not covered by OHIP... ?
 
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sugar

TRIBE Member
Psychiatrists (MDs with specialty in psychiatry) are covered by OHIP, psychologists (PhDs) and "psychotherapists" (this term is not regulated) are not.
 

lucky1

TRIBE Member
this is often in conjunction with eating disorders... (imaging the body to be super fat, and seeing that when looking in the miror, even though due to anorexia the body is really thin) THere was some good suggestions in another thread about something similar.. Shena's place was suggested as a good place to start
 

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
VinylRach said:
what is it


Kinda like OCD, but focus is on a small bodily defect or "imaginary" bodily defect. It can also be a social disorder because of the personal perception and the fear of what others think or will think.
 

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
lucky1 said:
this is often in conjunction with eating disorders... (imaging the body to be super fat, and seeing that when looking in the miror, even though due to anorexia the body is really thin) THere was some good suggestions in another thread about something similar.. Shena's place was suggested as a good place to start

Yeah this is really common in teenagers, my sister being one of them. depending on how old the person is i'd try a psychologist before you go into psychotherapy. I really think that should be the very last option
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Soulster

TRIBE Member
not to pry, but i'm interested to know what part/aspect of her body is the focus of the dysmorphia. I find it fascinating.

Wish I could help with advise. I think it's really a job for a psychiatrist to deal with. All you can do is just be there to support her, really. Maybe educate yourself so that you have a good understanding of it.

Has she been clinically diagnosed with it or is this just something you think she has?
 

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Amy_J said:
Kinda like OCD, but focus is on a small bodily defect or "imaginary" bodily defect. It can also be a social disorder because of the personal perception and the fear of what others think or will think.


OCD is like the umbrella term for the many manifestations such as the one you are describing.

it can be a temporary or lifelong thing. even if temporary they can be suspectible to severe behvaiour.

get her to her family doctor to get her checked out overall, they may suggest medications and some tests while you wait for a referal to a psychiatrist who can also perscribe meds. phsycologists usually work in conjuntion with psychiatrists for threapy.

coverage varies depending on a number of things and where she gets refered.

good luck,
 

Soulster

TRIBE Member
VinylRach said:
Yeah this is really common in teenagers, my sister being one of them. depending on how old the person is i'd try a psychologist before you go into psychotherapy. I really think that should be the very last option

excuse me? you don't have to be nuts to see a shrink. it's simply a different type of therapy as far as i'm concerned, and the only difference is that they've been through medical school so they have the ability to prescribe drugs.

I see a psychiatrist and i don't even have a designated "mental illness" like depression or bipolar disorder or anxiety disorder or what have you and i've never taken medication for anything either.
 

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
VinylRach said:
Yeah this is really common in teenagers, my sister being one of them. depending on how old the person is i'd try a psychologist before you go into psychotherapy. I really think that should be the very last option


why a psychologist over a psychotherapist?

I've been to both and not for anything specific, but from my experience, psychotherapy is more personal, less clinical feeling and has been far more beneficial (for me anyways). I'm just curious as to the reasoning of one versus the other
 

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
Soulster said:
excuse me? you don't have to be nuts to see a shrink. it's simply a different type of therapy as far as i'm concerned, and the only difference is that they've been through medical school so they have the ability to prescribe drugs.
.

What are you talking about? i'm just saying that you should see if therapy works before you try psychotherapy!? thats not saying you have to be nuts to see a therapist?!
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JESuX

TRIBE Member
psychologist - PhD - but cannot prescribe drugs
psychotherapist - Masters or higher, but cannot prescribe drugs
psychiatrist - PhD, med school, can prescribe drugs
 

mayab

TRIBE Member
Amy_J said:
why a psychologist over a psychotherapist?

I've been to both and not for anything specific, but from my experience, psychotherapy is more personal, less clinical feeling and has been far more beneficial (for me anyways). I'm just curious as to the reasoning of one versus the other

A psychologist may also offer psychotherapy, but the profession is regulated so you have more protection as a consumer/patient.
 

TribeLurkerGrrl

TRIBE Member
VinylRach said:
What are you talking about? i'm just saying that you should see if therapy works before you try psychotherapy!? thats not saying you have to be nuts to see a therapist?!

You are confused. The type of "therapy" you are referring to here is psychotherapy. What do you think psychotherapy is?
 

sugar

TRIBE Member
VinylRach said:
What are you talking about? i'm just saying that you should see if therapy works before you try psychotherapy!? thats not saying you have to be nuts to see a therapist?!

What are YOU talking about? Anyone can offer psychotherapy. I don't understand what you mean when you differentiate between "therapy" and "psychotherapy".
 

sugar

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:
psychologist - PhD - but cannot prescribe drugs
psychotherapist - Masters or higher, but cannot prescribe drugs
psychiatrist - PhD, med school, can prescribe drugs

Psychotherapists do not have to have any degree whatsoever.

And psychiatrists have an MD, not a PhD.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
anyone can call themselves a psychotherapist.
thats not to say that they are all hacks. i saw one when i was a child dealing with a phobia and he helped me tremendously.

at least with psychologists, you can assume a certain benchmark of training.
 

JESuX

TRIBE Member
sugar said:
Psychotherapists do not have to have any degree whatsoever.

And psychiatrists have an MD, not a PhD.

to get a job in a hospital, or with the government, they sure do.
 

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:
to get a job in a hospital, or with the government, they sure do.

i doubt that many psychotherapists have jobs with hospitals - aren't they usually in private practice?
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top