• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Boaters License

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Anyone have one?

I would like to take the boat and seadoo to other lakes this year as I am growing bored of the small lake we are on. With this in mind I thought it is time to offically get my license.

Has anyone taken the test before? I cant imagine it being too hard, I hope.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
You only need it if you're going to drive a pleasurecraft under 13 feet, which I would assume includes your sea-doo though I guess. You only have to do it once, it's not a "license" as much as it is a proof of competency. It's not hard, my little cousin did it easily.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
Test is easy. You need someone who already has it and is registered to invigilate you while you're doing the test. (Read: Get someone's (who already has it) user name and password and enter them as your referral before you do the test on line.)

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Gizmo said:
Test is easy. You need someone who already has it and is registered to invigilate you while you're doing the test. (Read: Get someone's (who already has it) user name and password and enter them as your referral before you do the test on line.)

you just made my life a little bit easier. I have to get mine... infact have already gone sailing without it. I should do this.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
I'm getting my this year as well I think.

my father traded in his large, impossible to navigate twin inboard monster for a smaller easier to handle cottage type craft that I can no worries dock on my own....

but yes, it's pretty easy...as long as you know something about the rules of the water, channel markers and general boating shit.

Cri

TRIBE Member
Amy_J said:
The test is easy. It's even easier when you have two computers and two people helping you :D
:) :)

I'm going to get mine this year as well. I had to help my mom last year lol

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
tonep said:
those things are WACK!!!!!... good times im sure..
the shit you don't know. It's for cruising not racing.. unless you're racing againt other Nonsuchs. I'll be at the International Nonsuch Association Rendezvous this summer.

tonep said:
i sail on a 1D35, and a J-22.
so you like racing...

tonep said:
but i sail in Youngstown N.Y.
great sailing/racing there.

Preroller

TRIBE Member
ya, it's not too difficult, just know your markers and buoys, safety equipment, etc...I think I'm heading out this weekend...it's pike season!

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
anybody race smaller boats?

I raced laser II's for a few years.....those things are fuuuun!

especially when you get out on the trapeze at 40 knots....

tonep

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat said:
the shit you don't know. It's for cruising not racing.. unless you're racing againt other Nonsuchs. I'll be at the International Nonsuch Association Rendezvous this summer.

so you like racing...

great sailing/racing there.

for sure, i've raced all over on the 1D35... did the grand prix on it, i've also raced regualrly on a farr 40.

but dont get me wrong, love going out for a booze cruise on anything

tonep

TRIBE Member
TaCk OnE? said:
anybody race smaller boats?

especially when you get out on the trapeze at 40 knots....

i grew up on lasers and lightning sailing at the canoe club near crystal beach in the summers...

40 knots?????? you sure about that?

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
tonep said:
i've also raced regualrly on a farr 40.
Those and the 8 metres are my two favourite (looking/watching) race boats. I've never had a chance to sail on either unfortunately.

On Saturday I had a chance to see a new prototype catamaran in action. They had two boats chasing it with camera crews. I've never seen anything move so fast. There were over 150 boats in the harbour for RCYC sailpast when it came out. good wind, we were averaging 5-6 knots with a full reef in the sail (it wasn't a race). This cat looked like a car driving 400 km/h on the highway. Just ripping and weaving through the fleet. highlight of the day.

tonep

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat said:
40 knots is not far off of the world record isn't it (hull speed)?

i dont know, if it's hull speed or wind speed.... its absolutely rediculous though....if its hull speed, well im speachless..... i know we were out in Key West race week this year with 40 knot gusts and half out fleet lost there masts..... i dont see the wind speed so much as i do foredeck/mast mostly

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
TaCk OnE? said:

Lasers are the dopest shit ever. When I lived on Lake Erie, my friend down the street's dad had one and he decided it was ours, well hers, but ours. We used to tip it on purpose and when you get into the wind just the right way you fuckin fly. It's also fun to smash into the waves.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories