• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Board interface pole

How important is a low key color scheme on TRIBE

• 1 = Not Important

Votes: 17 12.6%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 5 3.7%

Votes: 14 10.4%

Votes: 14 10.4%

Votes: 24 17.8%
  • 7 = Very Important

Votes: 60 44.4%

• Total voters

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of people use TRIBE in workplace situations where a low-key color scheme might be important.

On a scale of 1 - 7 How important is it for you to have a low-key color scheme for the TRIBE board?

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
The epilepsy banners at the top of the page are bad enough. If the color scheme changed I'd have to stop visiting the board during the day.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
The grey/white scheme matches a few of my backround programs perfectly.

Can we also request the PM box percentage full option? I've been on at least one other vB message board where it would tell you what % of your PM box is full.

Also, I have to commend you on keeping this site out of the risky websense categories. I've been blocked off just about every interesting site here at work, everything from sports and games to webmail, and somehow Tribe still survives.

deep

TRIBE Member
Many msg boards I am on give the user the option of switching between various color schemes (in user options) as well as turning features on and off (such as avatars).

How bout setting a default color scheme / configuration (such as work friendly low colour, no bells and whistles like avatars and the like) and then giving the option to use other schemes or turn on featuers as a user desires?

HouseHeadSacha

TRIBE Member
on dtourism.com, each user can change the way the board looks to them. (something like 5 different colour schemes)

i rike dat!

edit - what deep said.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Well the new software will have a PM box fullness indicator. When you check yer pms it will have a progress bar indicator that shows and will say you have _ messages out of a total of _ in yer box.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by deep
Many msg boards I am on give the user the option of switching between various color schemes (in user options) as well as turning features on and off (such as avatars).

How bout setting a default color scheme / configuration (such as work friendly low colour, no bells and whistles like avatars and the like) and then giving the option to use other schemes or turn on features as a user desires?
The new software allows a user to change the look of your board, but because there are so many variables for me to adjust initially with the new software I will probably just start off with a lower key interface as a default. Later, adding some other interfaces.

The base look of the new software is quite different than what we are currently using.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I want the board interface to look like a rave flyer from 1997.

Something along the lines of the Utopia party.

Kidding. Maybe.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by acheron
I want the board interface to look like a rave flyer from 1997.

Something along the lines of the Utopia party.

Kidding. Maybe.
50,000 watts of muticolored lasers!

299,000 whats of sound!

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Would it be possible to include colour scheme choices?

I have a proxy augmenting the colours of this board to make it dark. Lighter pages effectually stress my eyes. It would be cool to have this built in.

One uber low key to make it look like an email client for work purposes, another to be like the old (current) tribe –baby blue, white and gold, and one like the USS Enterprise had when the Federation was at war.

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by alexd
The new software allows a user to change the look of your board, but because there are so many variables for me to adjust initially with the new software I will probably just start off with a lower key interface as a default. Later, adding some other interfaces.

The base look of the new software is quite different than what we are currently using.
That sounds like a good approach. Keeping design/layout consistent initially would ease the transition for people, although I think some new features would be good to offer right off the bat (i.e. the most highly requested new features). Over time other new features and color schemes can be beta'd one by one to see what people think. Enhancing user experience I think is pretty important in an increasingly ajax'd / blogged / rss'd web market.

Back to the color scheme issue, I'd love an even more stripped down / plain "work" friendly scheme than currently going, but the option of something more robust / normal when using otherwise. Same way many people turn off images at work and turn them on at home. The image setting could be associated with the "tribe@work" profile.

edit: another possibility is to throw up a list of features with examples (i.e. from vbull doc's or other boards), and give users the option of voting yes - standard feature, no - standard feature, yes - optional feature. That way people can select what they want to absolutely see, what they don't want to see at all, and what they may want but others may not want.

Last edited:

Resolver

TRIBE Member
I like the way TRIBE is. That PM thing, go for it. It's a side feature. Other than that, don't change a thing Alex.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
I like how tribe looks right now, not even for work related reasons I like the low-key colour scheme.

When you do lots of reading, I find havng overly contrasty-vibrant colour schemes get tiring on the eys.