1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

~*...blue mountain season passholders 2005/2006...*~

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by that 420 guy, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Mephisto

Mephisto TRIBE Member

try and get up there asap if you're going to go, i'm not sure how many more days like this the snow can take. some runs are getting that 'dirty diaper' tinge in some areas. the south side looks more like a golf course than a ski run but i think they harvested a lot of the snow from there to build the features for the triple challenge a couple of weeks ago. the badlands lift is shut down but you can duck the tape and still get on to it but if you're going for air i'd suggest heading to hell's half acre. they built up another mini kicker towards the bottom so you can hit the first medium kicker, hip and small hit at the bottom in one run before riding down. the snow is so forgiving you can stomp the sketchiest of landings.

the lack of people is the best part. it's so wide open and today the palm of my right hand is swollen and starting to bruise from slapping my bindings off so many times

2. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

Anyone know when Hogtown usually starts dropping their prices end of season? Do I have to wait until mid-late April?

I saw my Ride Timeless 164 there on the weekend for just over $500, but I know there will be better deals to come.

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

Pete, if you can, wait till October/November. ToDieFor always has good deals starting around that time. You might be able to pick up an 07 for CHEAP! And if not, all the previous seasons boards will be cheap anyways.

4. Eclipze

Eclipze TRIBE Member

I just got back from 3600 vertical ft. of epic madness at Whiteface. Blue mountain is like a pimple compaired to this place.

5. SmoothOperator

We're staying at La Tour de Voyageurs. I've heard it's "alright", but the location couldn't be better considering all the events that will be happennin in the village. I just hope the conditions stay okay. I love soft spring snow....but dirt and rocks suck!

6. Mephisto

Mephisto TRIBE Member

when i go they usually put me up at the voyageurs or the country suites (just across the roundabout) and the voyageurs is pretty nice imo. the times i've stayed there (in both towers) i've gotten timeshare condos so it's been super comfortable for me and friends who came up to visit. it's right next to the gondola so you just wake up, ride down and hop on. you can also ride through town to the the voyageurs so it's very convenient.

[​IMG]

don't forget the popcorn
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this past weekend i lucked out and they put me in a one bdrm condo at the hilton suites
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the snow in the mornings was groomed and fast but softened up during the day. no exposed dirt like blue but there was the occasional rock and you could see running water under the snow going up the lift on versant soleil. on saturday it started raining at the base and snowing big huge flakes at the summit that would go *plock!* when they landed on you making for weird conditions. it got really slushy at the bast but the summit was cold and getting covered in new wet snow. the only shitty part was that you couldn't see a damned thing between getting covered in snow on the way down and the flat light. the rain scared everyone away but not before everyone skiid out the same lines so all the faces were pretty mogul-ey by the time they shut the hill down early because of the conditions. i didn't hit any of the parks (i'm not allowed to lol) but i still had a great time, looks like it was the last time out this season for that family so i won't be back until june for the green season (can't wait to hit the trails on the mtb!). hopefully you'll have similar conditions with the groomed stuff in the morning and mashed potatoes in the afternoon. super fun and there are usually some great hits skiid out by everyone on the versant soleil and south face by afternoon to throw down some little airs and land in the ice cream. you'll have a great time for sure, have a beavertail for me!

7. MartyMcFly

MartyMcFly TRIBE Promoter

just came back from riding at blue this morning.

the half pipe is mint..
    just dirty near the top.
    while dec and jan were warm.
    it was a great winter

I plan on ending this season with some spring riding.
    flights out west are ridiculously cheap right now.

buffalo - seattle for $150 cdn ( incl)
    I cant wait to ride mt. baker, whistler and also sunshine.
    my flight home from calgary is $225cdn ( incl) with air canada.

8. Mephisto

Mephisto TRIBE Member

smooth op, did you get a package for lift passes and the room?

if not, don't forget to present your blue pass for 25% off. or if you're renting a car, rent from hertz and get a free lift ticket (this is how i score mine since the company arranges a car for me at the airport). i totally forgot you were going otherwise i could have snagged a couple of passes for you from my passengers who have a sheet of like 20 left but i didn't think i'd be going back at all this season so i gave them to the guys at the airport!

9. dicksherwood

dicksherwood TRIBE Member

Hellz Yeah! Was there the week before xmas with a couple of tribers...there was so much snow, locals were saying it was the most pre-xmas snow they'd had in years...skyward, upper cloudspin and mountain run were the faves, the slides and the glades weren't open yet...did you hit them? how were they? Lake Placid is a nice town too...I'm definitely going back, way better than Tremblant and closer.

speaking of closer, 4 sleeps to spring riding in the Kootenays, it's still cold out there and it's still snowing, Whitewater and Panorama for 7 days, picking up a bag for my board and some new pants tonight...SO PSYCHED...do ya hear me Norm, do ya??

10. that 420 guy

that 420 guy TRIBE Member

fuck yeah! can't wait to ride with you...and there is still lots of snow here, even more if you're up for a little hike.

~*...\m/^_^\m/...*~

11. SmoothOperator

Thanks for the pics dude! Gives me a better idea of what to expect.

We got a discounted rate for the hotel room with our 5X7 passes. I think it was 30% off or something. I was told we'd get 25% off lift tickets with the pass too which is cool with me.
    Overall this isn't really costing us that much. Think they're just happy to have people there this late in the season. They're predicting to shut things down for Spring on April 17th.

Three cheers for late season riding!

12. Mephisto

Mephisto TRIBE Member

cool, you'll have a great time. the one thing about the voyageurs is that they don't have a complementary breakfast like the other places. there's a little greasy spoon type place just beside the gondola that does a nice deuce oeufs/jambon/bacon/viande fumée (i think it's actually called 'chalet du viande fumée') for like $10 (cheap for the vieux tremblant!). i think you mentioned you speak french, the girl who works there doesn't speak much english so she loves it when she gets a franco and she'll hook up the extra bacon if you ask.

also, oubliez pas de descender a la creperie catherine. best strategy is to split an entree crepe (saucisse italiene avec cheddar et pommes is a personal fav) so you can save room for some kind of chocolatey/banana/ice creamey dessert crepe. parfait si vous voudriez prendre un repos/repas a midi.

and for dinner the bullseye fires up a mean cut of beef. the pizzatéria is okay in a pinch if you're just getting into town late but i find their pizzas and calzones bland. i highly reccomend hitting coco pazzo one night. they do fantastic italian food and have THE BEST creme brulée i've ever had, ever, anywhere on the north american continental mass. everytime i go there i motor through the risotto just as an excuse to get to that creme brulée merveilleux. mais prenez garde si vous commander un pousse-cafe (spanish coffee, etc) at coco pazzo...it's a good way to ensure that you pass out in the hot tub and never make it to the caribou for the festivities. i'm pretty sure they use two parts coffee, one part kaluha, one part ghb and a shot of ruffie in those things. potent as hell when you haven't been raised on cinquante!

speaking of which, this is the view from the hot tub at place des voyageurs (2me étage/tour 2)
    [​IMG]

just don't forget to stock up on redbul at the dépanneur before you hit tremblant because they're all out at the magasin général (no shortage of the important stuff at the saq in town though). man, i wish i was going again too! spent 8 weekends there this winter but i still get so stupidly giddy going around those roundabouts before pulling into town.

and just fyi if anyone is looking to do tremblant in the future, voyageur airways (no affiliation with the hotel) has a good deal where you fly out on friday night, get two nights accom and two lift tickets for $500. it's a good way to maximize your slopetime if you only have the weekend and don't want to spend it in a car.

http://www.mtia.ca/en/index_group_packages.cfm?step=1&VilleDepart=Toronto

bien vous amuser!

13. Eclipze

Eclipze TRIBE Member

I was just told that today will be in fact the last day of the season for Blue Mountain.

14. DJ Doublecross

DJ Doublecross TRIBE Member

15. [SQUARE]

[SQUARE] TRIBE Member

I was just over at Blue and it is looking pretty brown. I'm not surprised at all that this is the last day.

16. catilyst

catilyst TRIBE Member

sad sad day

17. SmoothOperator

Tremblant here I come! woohoo!

18. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

Lucky! I finally, reluctantly, packed my boots away yesterday and I'll be de-binding and storing my board tonight. No other spring trips planned out of the province means the season is definitely over for me.

I have, however, managed to settle on the one board that I want more than any other this off-season, and now it's just a question of keeping my eyes out so I can find it at a good price.

The K2 Recon Riser S-Class 165:

[​IMG]

19. [SQUARE]

[SQUARE] TRIBE Member

I'm booking a trip to whistler today. Telus ski and snowboard festival here i come!

20. DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis TRIBE Member

I just got back from a week at Monst sainte Anne and Le Massif in quebec

Awsome boarding conditions!

21. that 420 guy

heard ya, and the koots delivered. powder in april is always a good thing for those of us addikted to it :D

[​IMG]

dicksherwood's first taste of powder, glory basin
    [​IMG]

then some steeps and trees for dessert...
    [​IMG]

a little traverse to the catch basin brought us powder with a side of sunshine...
    [​IMG]

those who know are here, those who don't are somewhere else...and that's just fine with the people who are here.:p

great riding with you steve and aly. have fun at panorma.

~*...normaste...*~

22. SmoothOperator

Woohoo! Tremblant's recieved 6 inches of snow in the past 24 hours. And there's more to come! Can't wait!!!!! @#%*%^@%*#$#

23. Eclipze

Eclipze TRIBE Member

Whiteface

[​IMG]
    Whiteface
    [​IMG]
    Pierre aka Joker F/X aka mountain bitch
    [​IMG]
    Me attempting a nose press... i just need to get the nose in the air
    [​IMG]
    Carving into the steeps

24. Eclipze

Eclipze TRIBE Member

25. that 420 guy

easter monday was the last day of lift operation here at whitewater. over 80cm of snow had fallen in the past week, leaving a base of 400cm! the sun was shining and the snow was everywhere...who closes down the lifts when there is 4meters of base?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the lifts might be closed, but the season isn't over. there are always fresh tracks to make here, if you're willing to walk to it...and its going to take a few weeks, perhaps months, for 4meters of snow to melt.

30 minutes after unbuckling my board for the last time this season, i was warm on a beach throwing a frisbee. this place sucks. don't come here. :p

~*...normaste...*~