• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Blue Jays/MLB thread 2009

Zorro

TRIBE Member
If your theory is correct (which I think your right)
Then looking at your criteria Lyle Overbay makes the most sense to be batting cleanup.
He stirkes out less, walks more then Hill and has a higher OBP SP and OSP then anyone on the team. He also hits the ball to all fields.

So we could move Wells to 6th and Overbay to 4th.

Works for me.

Last edited:

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
You are still arguing with me?
I said after much thought your right.
Cus unlike some people on this board ,lets just say he's a Cowboys fan. I can spot sarcasm,and when somebody is trying to patronize me.:rolleyes:

Hey just for kicks though which one of those guys seems to be more productive?
Just for kicks is all that it was,you threw out a name and I made the comparisons. Just saying Hill's HR's and RBI's are right there for NOW. Who's been in the league longer?, and who's just becoming a great hitter? Nice K's on Howard's part ,wonder how many of those strike outs came with 2 out, and with runners in scoring position? How many of those Hr's and RBI's meant nothing in a game? In the end they're only stats for that big payday.

Then looking at your criteria Lyle Overbay makes the most sense to be batting cleanup....walks more then Hill
Sure I'm for it,who ever is hitting gets the spot. I don't think Cito is asking the #4 hitter to walk.

It makes sense, they can spray the ball to all fields make more contact and probably be a bigger threat then the 3 run homerun.
Man I wish we had that guy who could have hit that 3 run homer. The Jays would only have lost by 4 not 7. You're right we do need hitting more than pitching.:cool:

I'm done with this ,it's boring now and when the Jays fall out of the race for good . You'll get are arm space back. They need pitching not the home run basher.

dg0425

TRIBE Member
Why don't we pick up Glavine? It would be a roll of the dice but every time we bring up a kid from Vegas its a roll of the dice. Romero has struggled since coming back and I'm sure having a veteran like Glavine would help some of the kids. Thoughts?

Big Boss

TRIBE Promoter
Why don't we pick up Glavine? It would be a roll of the dice but every time we bring up a kid from Vegas its a roll of the dice. Romero has struggled since coming back and I'm sure having a veteran like Glavine would help some of the kids. Thoughts?

He'd be taking a spot from a young kid. 2009 is all about experience for 2010.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dg0425

TRIBE Member
He'd be taking a spot from a young kid. 2009 is all about experience for 2010.
Newsflash: we're 2 games out of first place. We were expected to be 10 games back battling baltimore for cellar dwellar status.

Screw 2010, nows the time to make a push, load up on some tallent and see what happens. I bet if Ted Rogers was alive we'd be signing Glavine and Matt Holliday.

Big Boss

TRIBE Promoter
Newsflash: we're 2 games out of first place. We were expected to be 10 games back battling baltimore for cellar dwellar status.

Screw 2010, nows the time to make a push, load up on some tallent and see what happens. I bet if Ted Rogers was alive we'd be signing Glavine and Matt Holliday.

Newsflash: we are 2 games out of first place on June 4th. June 4th! We are 3-11 in the past 14 games. There's no reason to make a push.

dg0425

TRIBE Member
I don't think picking up Glavine at low cost necessarily is making a push. The truth is we need pitching and he's available and even in the worse case scenario (he's lost his stuff) he would still be worth it for what he could teach the young guns.

We do have some great young talent but Romero is barely ready and Richmond is good but I'll have more faith in his ability if he's just as good after teams are seeing him for the 2nd time. Cecil and Ray are by no means ready. Its a long season, who knows how long Tallet will hold up and Jannsen isn't a guaranteed starter either.

dg0425

TRIBE Member
Glavine claims he got hurt swinging a bat. That could be a cover up for the fact that he's old and should retire or it could be true. Either way he won't have to bat if he's playing for the Jays.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oeretS

TRIBE Member
today is reminding me of the last weekday afternoon game in Baltimore - we fight back then the bullpen blows it an inning later

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
I'm for Glavine we need to plug some pitching holes until the healthier arms come back. If we could get a .500 season out of Glav and he helps some of our young guns out,that's a bonus. Since Hallady already said we wasn't going to take anyone under his wing anymore cus of AJ,and it takes up too much time.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Well that was fun. Sat nine rows behind home plate and Me and my section rode Rios pretty hard, specially after that 5th K.

Good to see the Jays keep that line moving to bad they couldn't get that big hit.

Guys Glavine is done. Getting a .500 season out of him would be pushing it, and it would set back some of our young pitching from getting the experience they need.

Despite some people's beliefs this team is not short on pitching long term.

Remember, no matter how good the Jays are doing their thoughts were and arre focused on 2010. They are not going to trade or push back the development of players in favor of making a push on June 4th.

Todays game was fun, some questionable calls on pitch runers and not pinch hitters but hey it was still fun in the sun.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Zorro

TRIBE Member
No he's not, He was but not anymore.

Go look up his stats compare them with our starters then let me know if youstill think he can contribute,

While your at it look up all the Jays team pitching stats.
Then look up all the Jays hitting stats.

Then tell me what this team really needs.

www.mlb.com is a good start.

Big Boss

TRIBE Promoter
Glavine's FASTBALL was clocked at 80mph at the beginning of spring training.

He's an awesome pitcher, a first ballot Hall of Famer, but he's done.

dg0425

TRIBE Member
Doesn't anyone remember the Mets collapse and the part he played in it?

Glavine is done.
Overall he was above .500 with the mets over 6 seasons. (58-56) Maybe you're talking about some key losses in September?

You may be right although there are several older pitchers that can still pitch with 80 mph velocity but rely on location. Paul Byrd tends to give the jays trouble every time he comes to town and yet he rarely hits 90.

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
Good to see the Jays keep that line moving to bad they couldn't get that big hit.
I missed yesterdays game but the people on here said the bullpen blew the potential comeback not the hitters.

Nice pics you should have told Cito about tribe maybe he could learn something on here :)

it would set back some of our young pitching from getting the experience they need.
They got their chance they aren't ready. Or do you want them to get hammered every time out,that would be great experience.

Last edited:

Zorro

TRIBE Member
I missed yesterdays game but the people on here said the bullpen blew the potential comeback not the hitters.
Actually the bullpen didn't pitch that bad.
Yes League gave up a run in the ninth but it was more of
Overbay falling asleep on the play and allowing the runner to get home.

I was there and it was the hitting or lack of.
5 K's by Rios. Lind stranded on 3b with less then two outs 2 or 3 times.

Runers on first and second bottom of the ninth and no outs = no runs.

See what a home run hitter in the middle of the line up could do? granted he might not have hit a home run he might have K'd as well or grounded out or popped out or maybe long fly ball out to the waring track(would have scored a run) . However they were just one big swat away from tying this game in more then 1 inning.

They had their moments when they kept the "line moving" and granted that works I agree but their are just times when you need a "meathead" "Juicer" to just clear the bases and the Jays don't have that threat. See the one thing about keeping the line moving is that your relying on 6-8 guys to come up with hits to score say 3 runs. That's hoping that you can string 6-8 hits in row from guys who mostly fail somewhere between 7 and 8 times per 10 ab's that's asking a lot. So for you to just throw away or dismiss the notion that a slugger in the middle of your line up is overrated or "tunnel vision" is a little simple minded.

Granted Hill has 12 home runs but, his career high is 17 and if you think he is a real power threat you have lost your marbles. And if your theory of Hill at cleanup were to come to fruition you would have to agree that it's only a part time solution.

This team lacks power plan and simple. And teams need power to win. This team on more then one occasion has been a big blast away from tying or winning a game.

Truth be told the pitching isn't as bad as you might suggest.
The era is in the middle of the pack however the OBP and WHIP lead the AL and they have the most innings pitched. Here's the kicker they are one of the worst in slugging percentage. Yes they are losing by the long ball quite often. Funny that.

I asked you to show me examples and all you had for me was the Jays are winning and proving me wrong.
Well their winning without Hill batting cleanup.

Yesterdays loss could have been easily won with the long ball.

As much as Wells hasn't done well in certain situations why he wasn't brought to pinch hit for Ingeltt with runners on maybe base loaded I can't remember. Baffles me to no end. And Rolen not hitting for Jose in the 9th.