• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Blue Jays 2017 - Life After Edwing

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Rogers is considering selling the BJs... well there goes any hope of investment in the team.
They're not against investment, they just don't what to be the ones paying for it!

Rogers is exploring a sale of the Toronto Blue Jays

The company is also considering selling its stake in media and telecom company Cogeco. Rogers is still committed to sports programming but that doesn't require team ownership, chief financial officer Tony Staffieri told Bloomberg. Rogers acquired the Jays in 2000, and bought the team's venue, SkyDome, in 2004, changing the name to Rogers Centre. Besides the Jays, Rogers also holds a stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, a company that owns the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors and Toronto FC.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I think this is good news for Jays fans, Rogers has always been cheap by comparison to what other large owners invest

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I think this is good news for Jays fans, Rogers has always been cheap by comparison to what other large owners invest
Take a look at the payroll for the past season. Jays are a mid market team so based on salary payroll they have, or at least are on the hook for a big chunk of dollars.

Fact is Jays are not in the same large market as Yankees, Red Sox, etc.

I think they are going to have to go through a number of years of rebuilding.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Jays are the top or near it in attendance and market size I thought?
TV revenue is everything in the mlb. So not so much about attendance but rather how many people are watching the game on tv.

Thus the reason NY, Boston, LA can afford the big payrolls. I give props to Rogers for spending as much as they have to try and field a winning or at least a competitive team.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
My understanding has alwqys been Rogers acted like a mid market team when the reality is they were actually a big market one .

Maybe I'm wrong?