1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Blue Jays 2017 - Life After Edwing

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bernnie Federko, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Pitching Staff still sick AF

Let's Go Blue Jays

Encarnacion signs in Cleveland, 60 million, 3 years plus a 4th year club option

2. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

amazing he took less guaranteed, his agent is an idiot

3. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

A fuck-up all around.

4. Variant

Variant TRIBE Member

I have no issue with EE going. Watching him over the past few years that he's been good he had some amazing months and memorable hot streaks but face it, when he wasn't streaking he was cold. He's a typical power bat (in his prime) which embodies the "all power" strategy the Jays have always tried to employ. Those lineups almost never win the WS as the Jays have shown for the past couple of years. Trading some of the power for higher average and a more balanced (L v R) lineup is a smart move. They did better than that tho. They got power back with Morales and a higher average and being a switch hitter and slightly younger and considerably cheaper I'd take that replacement any day. That move also meant they could get Pearce who also plays FB and also is a better contact hitter than EE and hit over .300 against lefties last year. I think the Jays dealt with a couple team needs while saving money for other signings. I know EE was a fan favourite but i'd rather go into the playoffs with Morales, Pearce and whoever else they pickup for the same money they'd spend on EE.

Bernnie Federko likes this.
  5. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Management didn't want him back. They jumped on Morales too early. I do believe Morales will have a big year, but he ain't got no parrot with him. Also, Steve Pierce and Smoak at first? No thanks.

6. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Guess what, all players go through that during the season. You notice what more with Jays players because that's the team that you follow primarily.
    I do agree they need to change their team approach and I think that can be done by not bringing Bautista back. I thought there was good risk/reward with EE's power and he's more willing than Bautista to not jack the ball every time..

7. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

check how much tax he will be paying in cleveland vs toronto

8. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

the difference is about 1.2 mil per season extra playing in CLE

9. basketballjones

10. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

As is, this team aint making the playoffs.

KickIT likes this.
  11. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Kyfe is right, it's about $1.2mil/yr but that's based on $20mil taxable income. In reality it'd be a lot less than that because there would be a lot of deductions.

12. Variant

Variant TRIBE Member

As is doesn't really matter. The team will make more moves before the season begins so there's no point in assessing the team right now. They still need to acquire half the bullpen, a backup catcher, some outfielders and perhaps more. For me the important thing is how close are they to getting back into the playoffs. I think they're still very close. With their pitching staff, their infield d and their willingness to alter their identity from a power bat club to a more balanced lineup I might feel even more positive about next year than this past one.

13. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Uh welcome back JoeyBats, I thought we broke up?

14. Bernnie Federko

What are the terms? Club or Player options?

15. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Well, it's not confirmed but rumours are it's a one year plus a second year mutual option for $36-40mil.

16. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

17. Bernnie Federko

Atkins & Shapiro are gonna have to figure out how to get left side hitters

18. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

19. Bernnie Federko

Got the MLB.TV bill on the visa this (last?) week... Almost time for the boys of summer...

20. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

21. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Josh was at the Leafs game last night, and i gotta say, that woman sitting with him sure is perty.

22. Bernnie Federko

Fucking Orioles

23. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Bautista is crap.

24. basketballjones

wow, amazing start jays

25. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member