• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Blue Jays 2015

kuba

TRIBE Member
Bro Lawrie was on sirius sat radio complaining about the turf at the dome. Yah, because it's the turf's reason why he runs into walls and slides head first and can't stay healthy.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

kuba

TRIBE Member
your kidding right? I don't give a shit how many players are going the other way, 3 are certainly unproven and you can even make a case that 4 are. Lawrie is still potential but he has only shown spurts of elite talent.

The only concern I have is that Nolan turns into something the Jays need.

Supposedly the short-stop we sent is hitting lights out, and is a great potential. But you know what? Fuck potential. Are the Jays currently longest team without a playoff spot?

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Barretto may be a player one day. Scouts like him. However he's 18 has played only in the short season A ball league out of Vancouver and is many years away from being a productive player in the show.

I'll take this deal over and over again.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
JA Happ for Michael Saunders.

I like the trade, always liked Saunders and we're not giving up too much. This trade also means goodbye Melky.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Possibly. Although doesn't Saunders cover CF pretty good? So get rid of a canaDian get another not played to potential Canadian

kuba

TRIBE Member
Baseball nerds aside, I see this is a pretty big mistake on the Jays part. I thought the issue was term, not money. So I'm surprised to see he went for a paltry three years. Could it have something to do with the field, perhaps? How nice would it have been to have him in the lineup for the next 2+ years though. Saunders is a decent pick-up that they could've used to platoon, or as a 4th OFer.

Boo, urns.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Baseball nerds aside, I see this is a pretty big mistake on the Jays part. I thought the issue was term, not money. So I'm surprised to see he went for a paltry three years. Could it have something to do with the field, perhaps? How nice would it have been to have him in the lineup for the next 2+ years though. Saunders is a decent pick-up that they could've used to platoon, or as a 4th OFer.

Boo, urns.

I would have loved to have Melky back but there were rumours that he didn't like the turf (apparently they're changing it again for this season).

As for Saunders I think he could hit 20 and be a comparable to Melky, except maybe more power and less contact.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Meh, Melky over valued himself. He's making less then the original offer the jays offered. Then pulled after the trade with seattle. And, AND Saunders has been actually more productive in less AB then Melky.

If Saunders can say healthy, he is the better option. More power, more speed, better on te base paths, good contact, better defensively.

Let's also realize that other teams were interested in Melky. So, not why didn't the Jays sign him. However why was that the best offer left for him?.

The Jays are trying to shake up the clubhouse to some degree. So it Bears note that Melky has moved around quite a bit. that he wasn't put back on the Giants roster after his suspension. That might be something, or nothing at all.

Please, people. don't say payroll. This isn't an 80-90 million dollar payroll it will be top 10 by spring training. By saving in left field they can add payroll else where. Perhaps bullpen, or extensions etc.

I'm willing to let this play out this season before judging the Saunders for Melky. However right now, I got a feeling Saunders will be a favorite pretty quickly.

Eclipze

TRIBE Member
If Saunders stays healthy.
Melky was hot when they Jays were hot during the 1st half of last season. He was pretty average after that

kyfe

TRIBE Member
The Jays have significantly upgraded 3b and C, both are scarce positions. If Melky had to be sacrificed to do that it is the right move.

Essentially the Jays just moved money around the field and went with a less expensive version of Melky on OF. IF it doesn't pan out it will be much easier to go get an OF than it will be to go out and upgrade 3B OR C mid season.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Prediction
Jays and Padres will do a deal that includes Cashner and an OF (Maybin or Veneble)

SJN

TRIBE Member
I dont really get all the Saunders love. Even when he's been healthy, which is almost never, he's pretty average. On a good team, he's more like a 4th OF. To be honest, when they traded for him, that's what I thought they were expecting him to be....but all of a sudden he's been trotted out there like he's replacing Melky.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I dont really get all the Saunders love. Even when he's been healthy, which is almost never, he's pretty average. On a good team, he's more like a 4th OF. To be honest, when they traded for him, that's what I thought they were expecting him to be....but all of a sudden he's been trotted out there like he's replacing Melky.

You have to see it for what it is, Melky got sacrificed to improve 3b and C. While you can argue C didn't need to be improved, I think they got the best player available on FA.
It's a compromise Saunders is a downgrade but not that drastic and with upside, if healthy. Also, we still have Navarro who will likely be used to improve the bullpen, eventually the loss of Melky will result in 3 positions being improved.

SJN

TRIBE Member
Oh, I agree with you guys. That's how an intelligent fan ought to be looking at it. What worries me is that too many media and fans seem to be portraying Saunders as a Melky replacement, and that just sets things up for unrealistic expectations.