• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Blue Jays 2014

Mr. Magyar

TRIBE Member
With Soto injured, he was basically handed the Rangers starting gig at the start of the season and couldn't keep it. 3rd stringer Robinson Chrinos quickly passed him, and now the Rangers would rather have a career minor leaguer (Chris Gimenez) on the roster to back up Chrinos. It's pretty sad how far he's fallen.

If you're Arencibia, you have to realize that if you're as bad as he is defensively, then the only way you're going to have value is with your bat. When that disappears, like it did last year (and this year), you won't be on a major league roster.

That isn't going to happen. He is way too dense to see that he is dogshit. Anyway ... First place! Sure, it's May, but it is still nice to say that.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

dg0425

TRIBE Member
Can anyone watching on tv explain why bautista was called out at 2nd today? looked pretty convincing on the jumbo tron that he was safe.

silver1

TRIBE Member
From the camera angles they showed on TV, it essentially looked like a "tie" to me. And for video replay I don't think they do a "tie goes to the runner" ruling but that it was inconclusive, thus ruling on the field stands.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mr. Magyar

TRIBE Member
Should we use Rasmus as trade bait for a starting pitcher when he gets healthy?

Rasmus is going nowhere. The CBA no longer attaches a draft pick to players traded in the final year of their contract, so he wouldn't be attractive to sellers at the trade deadline for that reason.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
No Encarnacion talk in here or even just Jays talk in general? Encarnacion has been on fire, he has hit 14 home runs this month. The Royal as a team have hit 20 home runs total as a team all season.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Given the way the Jays are playing, do you go after Kendry at DH? He doesn't cost a pick after the draft and could be a great add to the line up.

But it might be hard to take someone out

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Given the way the Jays are playing, do you go after Kendry at DH? He doesn't cost a pick after the draft and could be a great add to the line up.

But it might be hard to take someone out

I think starting pitching would be a priority. They are more likely to continue to hit throughout the season than the pitching staying good.

#edwing is unstoppable right now.

Let's go to a game Shawn.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I think starting pitching would be a priority. They are more likely to continue to hit throughout the season than the pitching staying good.

#edwing is unstoppable right now.

Let's go to a game Shawn.

I can go June 10 so if you want to see the twins?? I can go other times as well but the wife and kid are gone that date so it makes it easier.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
FYI this is the team we were supposed to have last season.

Agreed we need a starter and Colby could bring one in a trade

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
It's my fault guys. I went to the game last night and I'm such a jinx. Still - though they lost that was an amazing game. We had front row behind the bullpen. Saw three amazing jacks right near our seats, two by Edwin, and then a EPIC 9th inning gun from Joey Bats to nail a guy running to first from right field, which never happens. Tough luck on the error by Reyes, but I'm not sweatin' it. He's a gamer and he'll make up for that many times over later this season.

Only thing that worries me is our starting pitching. AA needs to make a deal. I don't care what anyone says. The AL East is weak this year (which is never the case). Gotta go for bust. Trade a pick, young players, whatever, but this is the year to pull out all the stops.

SJN

TRIBE Member
FYI this is the team we were supposed to have last season.

Offensively, maybe. But the starting pitching remains a real concern.

For as good as they look right now, keep in mind that it's being fueled by a number of players having an absolutely ridiculous run. Obviously Edwin. But they're also getting unexpected productions from guys like Francisco, Tolleson and Thole. The overall level of offensive production is unsustainable - while this should remain a top tier offense, there is a regression coming.

When it comes to pitching, it's still a big concern IMO. Dickey and Buerhle should remain fine. But 3 through 5 is still a crapshoot - as much as I like Hutchison, I'm including him because I think there's a regression coming there too.

There's a lot to like, and I think they'll be competitive in a pretty wide open ALEast this year, but they're playing at a level right now that can't continue.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Offensively, maybe. But the starting pitching remains a real concern.

For as good as they look right now, keep in mind that it's being fueled by a number of players having an absolutely ridiculous run. Obviously Edwin. But they're also getting unexpected productions from guys like Francisco, Tolleson and Thole. The overall level of offensive production is unsustainable - while this should remain a top tier offense, there is a regression coming.

When it comes to pitching, it's still a big concern IMO. Dickey and Buerhle should remain fine. But 3 through 5 is still a crapshoot - as much as I like Hutchison, I'm including him because I think there's a regression coming there too.

There's a lot to like, and I think they'll be competitive in a pretty wide open ALEast this year, but they're playing at a level right now that can't continue.

as long as the SP's can pitch into the 6th we should be alright as our pen is solid and provided it's not taxed can avoid blowing games

silver1

TRIBE Member
as long as the SP's can pitch into the 6th we should be alright as our pen is solid and provided it's not taxed can avoid blowing games

This has a big thing to do with the success, as well as noting the defense has been crazy better than it was last year. Which is a huge factor is saving runs from the opposition as well.

SJN

TRIBE Member

That might be a reasonable ask for Hutchison. But the Jays #4 and #5 are pretty questionable. Maybe you get 5 innings from Happ on a fairly regular basis. And, despite his two starts, I don't think you can expect much from Hendriks - he's got a long enough track record that you know the ugly is coming.

Basically, what was glaringly obvious 6 months ago is still glaringly obvious - they need to improve their starting pitching.

Every team in the East has issues this year - the division is there for the taking for once. It would be a shame if they didn't pounce on the opportunity.

SJN

TRIBE Member
Absolutely yes, in light of the window of opportunity the Jays are looking at this year. The backup alternative I'd consider is actually bringing Sanchez up.

EDIT: That said, if the rumours of the Orioles offering up guys like Bundy and Gausman are true, then the Jays will have trouble topping that.

Last edited:

Mr. Magyar

TRIBE Member
Would you guys give up Aaron Sanchez for Jeff Samardzija?

I'm leery of giving up that much for the guy since he was only converted to a starter in 2012 and his performance at this point in the season is getting people far too excited than they should be over him. Of course, prospects are just that: prospects. There are pitchers for whom I'd give up Sanchez and Stroman for -- those two are all that the Jays have to offer at this point in time -- but Samardzija isn't one of them.

Absolutely yes, in light of the window of opportunity the Jays are looking at this year. The backup alternative I'd consider is actually bringing Sanchez up.
Sanchez is about a year or two away from being MLB ready.