• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Blue Jays 2014

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Jays hire Kevin Seitzer as hitting coach.

Why Kevin Seitzer got fired:

Why Kevin Seitzer got fired | Judging the Royals with Lee Judge

Power vs. contact: what a hitter does to improve one can hurt the other. Hit a ball out in front and it improves the chances of hitting a home run. Ball parks are shorter in the corners, so pulling a pitch allows a hitter to take a shot at leaving the yard. But to hit a ball out in front, also means starting the swing earlier and that means a hitter can be fooled much more easily. Increasing your power can reduce your average. Reducing your average can increase your power.

And there you have the difference in hitting philosophies at the center of Kevin Seitzer’s firing.

Seitzer teaches hitting the ball back up the middle. That’s the big part of the park and it’s easier for a hitter to get a ball to drop because the centerfielder has more ground to cover. That’s a high-average approach and Seitzer’s hitting philosophy has kept the Royals team batting average near the top of the American League in hitting. Letting the ball travel deeper also makes the Royals hitters harder to fool and they proved that by having fewer strikeouts than any team in baseball.

But hitting the ball back up the middle means it’s harder to hit the ball out of the park. A routine fly ball caught near the warning track in centerfield would be halfway up general admission in left.

So here’s Ned Yost’s argument: the Royals were near the top in batting average, but near the bottom in runs scored. Ned believes a high-average, opposite field approach often means having to string three singles together to score a run. (And if Billy Butler is the lead runner, it might be four singles.) Ned would like to have more opportunities to score quickly: a walk, a bloop and a blast and—boom—three runs are on the board.

A power-hitting approach might also increase walks: smart pitchers go right after singles hitters unless there’s a runner in scoring position. Why not? Kauffman Stadium is huge and if a guy is only going to hit a three-hopper for one bag, be aggressive in the strike zone. A pitcher is still two singles away from damage.

A power-hitting approach might also decrease walks: if hitters are swinging sooner, their pitch selection will get worse. The hitters will be pulling the trigger before they know where the pitch is going.

But can’t we all get along? Isn’t there a middle ground? Sure; many hitting coaches (and that includes Seitzer) teach a hitter to take a high-average approach in certain counts and look to pull the ball in others. (Usually 2-0, 2-1, 3-0 and 3-1 counts.) I don’t think Ned wants his hitters to pull the ball all the time either, so it’s a matter of degree. When do you look to pull and when you do try hit the ball out in front, do you have the right hitting mechanics to make it work? But combining hitting philosophies is kind of like wanting a hot wife who can cook: nice if you can get it, but often hard to pull off.

Part of Seitzer’s argument is that the Royals hitters are very young and would eventually learn to do that: go for broke at the right time. But Kevin has run out of time. If that happens, it will happen on someone else’s watch.

Thoughts?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
And for the record I think the Seitzer signing is a joke, this team is full of hackers who pull everything. Getting them to change their entire philosophy will result in Seitzer not making it through the season

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyfe

TRIBE Member
the catcher is historically bad at and behind the plate. and the rest of the team hits like shit.
Getting rid of Napoli and going with JP will always be one of AA's worst moves.

I hate JP he the Jays cannot and will not win with him behind the plate

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
And for the record I think the Seitzer signing is a joke, this team is full of hackers who pull everything. Getting them to change their entire philosophy will result in Seitzer not making it through the season
I think his approach is something this team should do more of, but we all know joeybats and JP are going to swing for the fences everytime(even when they shouldn't be)!

Mr. Magyar

TRIBE Member
Getting rid of Napoli and going with JP will always be one of AA's worst moves.

I hate JP he the Jays cannot and will not win with him behind the plate
To be fair, Napoli hasn't done the majority of catching duties since 2009 and no one foresaw JPA regressing this much, let alone at all.

I think his approach is something this team should do more of, but we all know joeybats and JP are going to swing for the fences everytime(even when they shouldn't be)!
What should Bautista be doing then? His OPS suggests that he is still productive, so I have no clue what you're rambling on about. JPA's approach at the plate is just awful, though. It gets even worse with two strikes. Catchers don't affect pitchers as much as people want to believe, but JPA does need to go ASAP. The problem, of course, is that the catcher position is pretty much a wasteland.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
theScore

The Toronto Blue Jays reportedly have a new catcher:

Dioner Navarro will turn 30 on Feb. 9, 2014, and the Blue Jays will be his fifth team in five years. He hit .300/.365/.492 in 89 games for the Cubs in 2013, with 13 home runs and 34 RBI. His 136 wRC+ was by far the best of his career, and he played above-average defense, according to FanGraphs, while throwing out 13 of 50 base stealers.

Navarro made $1.75 million this past season, and his arrival in Toronto means catcher J.P. Arencibia is likely done as a Blue Jay:

Navarro isn't great -- he's been a below-replacement player in three of the last five years. But he's better than Arencibia. And that's about all that matters for the Blue Jays right now, as they look to compete in 2014 after a nightmare 2013 season.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
theScore

The Toronto Blue Jays reportedly have a new catcher:

Dioner Navarro will turn 30 on Feb. 9, 2014, and the Blue Jays will be his fifth team in five years. He hit .300/.365/.492 in 89 games for the Cubs in 2013, with 13 home runs and 34 RBI. His 136 wRC+ was by far the best of his career, and he played above-average defense, according to FanGraphs, while throwing out 13 of 50 base stealers.

Navarro made $1.75 million this past season, and his arrival in Toronto means catcher J.P. Arencibia is likely done as a Blue Jay:

Navarro isn't great -- he's been a below-replacement player in three of the last five years. But he's better than Arencibia. And that's about all that matters for the Blue Jays right now, as they look to compete in 2014 after a nightmare 2013 season.
I pray the JP part is true, this should make a bigger difference behind the plate. I hate the way JP calls a game

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
How much better is he defensively over JP? This guy was batting at JP's level with less power just a few seasons ago.

kuba

TRIBE Member
3 years ago aron cibia was the second coming of christ, 2 years ago had pop, this year fell off his face because he can't handle criticism from an aaa lifer in dirk hayhurst. guy should grow thicker skin and kill the ball on his new team, he'll do well elsewhere I hope

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kyfe

TRIBE Member
looking at the jays needs who would you sign? Some notables IMO are:
(I'd take a chance on the ones in bold)
Shin‐Soo Choo OF Would look good in RF, shift Melky to CF with Gose (assuming Colby is traded).
Ubaldo Jimenez SP Can be a solid pitcher and proved he can pitch in the AL last season, his second half was top5
Ervin Santana, SP
Matt Garza, SP
Kendrys Morales, 1B/DH
Fernando Rodney, RP There is risk but he can close and can pitch in the AL-E
Mark Ellis, 2B 2b depth
Francisco Rodriguez, RP
Tim Stauffer, RP
Jerry Hairston Jr., UT
Ryan Madson, RP Some risk, Fully healed from TJS would help solidify the bullpen
Johan Santana, SP Sign him to a minor league deal worth the risk especially if he can end up filling a mid rotation spot
James McDonald, SP

Mr. Magyar

TRIBE Member
looking at the jays needs who would you sign? Some notables IMO are:
(I'd take a chance on the ones in bold)
Shin‐Soo Choo OF Would look good in RF, shift Melky to CF with Gose (assuming Colby is traded).
Whoa! Have you seen Choo's numbers in RF? The guy is a turd there. I have no clue what would possess you to suggest shifting Melky to CF too given his numbers are less than stellar and he simply does not have the range that the position demands. Your shittiest outfielder is always placed in LF. Choo would be an upgrade in LF, though, as his defence is average compared to Cabrera's defence.
Ubaldo Jimenez SP Can be a solid pitcher and proved he can pitch in the AL last season, his second half was top5
I don't get this adjustment to the AL nonsense. There is no evidence for it.

Fernando Rodney, RP There is risk but he can close and can pitch in the AL-E5
Wtf?! Uh, Casey Janssen is the closer. Thank fuck you aren't the GM!

Ryan Madson, RP Some risk, Fully healed from TJS would help solidify the bullpen
The bullpen is already solid. Toronto was fourth overall and ninth overall in the AL and all of MLB respectively.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Choo never played in RF in 2013 when he last did his fielding % was .993 and he played the entire season at RF on CLE
-
Career wise his fielding % in all 3 positions is comparable with his worst being @ LF and all positions are in line with league avg's. I don't understand how you think he's a turd at RF but better at LF, there are no numbers to support what you are saying. however you can make a case to put him in CF but his fielding % was .989 over a full season in which he played the entire season (pretty much) in CF. his range factor last season while playing CF was 2.37 (5th in the NL) in 2012

As for SP's pitching in the NL vs AL- it's simple every 9th hitter is a pitcher vs a DH in the AL Jiminez has pitched with success in the AL and it is something to consider I'll refer you to Dickey and Johnson from last season.

As for the Pen, good luck with repeating that performance without any upgrades and if Janssen goes down we really have nobody reliable to take over

Mr. Magyar

TRIBE Member
Choo never played in RF in 2013 when he last did his fielding % was .993 and he played the entire season at RF on CLE
-
Career wise his fielding % in all 3 positions is comparable with his worst being @ LF and all positions are in line with league avg's. I don't understand how you think he's a turd at RF but better at LF, there are no numbers to support what you are saying. however you can make a case to put him in CF but his fielding % was .989 over a full season in which he played the entire season (pretty much) in CF. his range factor last season while playing CF was 2.37 (5th in the NL) in 2012

As for SP's pitching in the NL vs AL- it's simple every 9th hitter is a pitcher vs a DH in the AL Jiminez has pitched with success in the AL and it is something to consider I'll refer you to Dickey and Johnson from last season.

As for the Pen, good luck with repeating that performance without any upgrades and if Janssen goes down we really have nobody reliable to take over
UZR is a better indicator of fielding prowess. You cannot make the case for Choo in CF or RF. Every team puts their worst OF in LF.

As for the NL to AL, don't be a moron. You would expect AL pitchers who go to the NL to dominate and that just isn't the case. Scherzer and Kuroda went from the NL to the AL and did just fine. Buehrle was Buehrle in Chicago, Miami, and Toronto. Moreover, Johnson was injured and Dickey was pitching hurt too. He also had to adjust to the fact that balls fly out of the SkyDome, which is why he quit throwing the knuckleball up high and that led to his second half numbers improving.

What needs to be upgraded in the bullpen?

agentRC4

TRIBE Member

kyfe

TRIBE Member
UZR is a better indicator of fielding prowess. You cannot make the case for Choo in CF or RF. Every team puts their worst OF in LF.

As for the NL to AL, don't be a moron. You would expect AL pitchers who go to the NL to dominate and that just isn't the case. Scherzer and Kuroda went from the NL to the AL and did just fine. Buehrle was Buehrle in Chicago, Miami, and Toronto. Moreover, Johnson was injured and Dickey was pitching hurt too. He also had to adjust to the fact that balls fly out of the SkyDome, which is why he quit throwing the knuckleball up high and that led to his second half numbers improving.

What needs to be upgraded in the bullpen?
Sigh, you aren't worth the time.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories