• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Blu-Ray Movies

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
So since we have an HDTV thread (and I just got one) I thought we could start a thread about Blu-Ray movies.

Now I just picked up Transformers and Iron Man last night and if you haven't seen it in Blu-Ray, GET TRANSFORMERS!

Holy crap does this look amazing in 1080p.

Megan Fox = Little hairs on her stomach.

Hawt.

Any other suggestions?

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
Eclectic said:
Megan Fox = Little hairs on her stomach.

Hawt
I mentioned this exact thing in the hdtv thread. Make out the fuzz on her tummy...so insane.

Anyways, the newest release of "The Fifth Element" is amazing. And if you like animation, pick up Appleseed. The detail and depth is pretty insane.

Good resource for Blu Ray releases and reviews is HERE!! The site not only rates the movie itself, but also the video and audio quality.

rod_g

TRIBE Member
Dark Knight

Director Christopher Nolan has confirmed that on the Blu-ray release, the film will swap between a 2.40:1 aspect ratio for scenes shot on 35mm and full sized widescreen 1.78:1 for the IMAX scenes (IMAX is shot in 1.66:1 so a little bit of the top and bottom of the IMAX image will be lost)

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Serenity. My dad has a nice setup (although HD-DVD player, not Blue-Ray), and watched it last time I was there - looked great.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
As much as I like seeing HD, I'm not prepared to spend upwards of $30/movie. Bluray isn't as huge a jump from DVD in the way that DVD was from VHS.

Even still, sales of Bluray are lacking and not meeting the benchmarks Sony predicted when they paid off Toshiba to kill HD-DVD.

Perhaps the DRM technology is what's hurting them.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
As a format, it's better suited to things like TV series and anthologies, but I'm not going to rush out and buy all my movies in Blu.

For a TV series, sure. Better to have three discs than 40.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Bluray isn't as huge a jump from DVD in the way that DVD was from VHS.
all due respect, id have to disagree...with the right display and the right sound system the difference is HUGE. i cant even watch regular dvds now...the lossy DD soundtracks just sound horrible to me....

going from VHS to DVD on a 24" tv was cool, but it wasnt life changing...much the same way going from DVD to bluray on a 32" plasma is cool, but isnt going to change your life..the bigger the display the more youll love it

deep

TRIBE Member
Saving Private Ryan
Contact
Blade Runner Final Cut
Terminator 2 Director's Cut
Sunshine
The Fountain
Fifth Element
any of the fuck off action / epic movies - LOTR, Gladiator, Last Samurai, Bourne, Die Hard 4, etc.
There Will Be Blood

Heard the Shining, 2001 & Godfather also look pretty good age and remastering considered.

The difference between 1080p and standard DVD is rad. Anything you considered eye candy before, watch again.

derek

TRIBE Member
'2001' for sure deep. haven't seen 'the shining' in it's new format yet, but i will.

also as mentioned 'blade runner', 'lotr', 'planet earth' (amazing)

'la haine' (hate) was just released on blue ray. one of my fav movies, i've yet to see it on blue-ray though. 'foo fighters: live at wembley' will be on my pick-up list.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
t2 is the one movie i would say didnt make the leap to bd very well...

if you have the "extreme edition" dvd upscaled and the bd try comparing them..out of all the discs ive checked for differences it was easily the closest...

they didnt even put an uncompressed soundtrack on it...just a DD EX and a matrixed DTS ES...

Vise

TRIBE Member
videotronic said:
all due respect, id have to disagree...with the right display and the right sound system the difference is HUGE. i cant even watch regular dvds now...the lossy DD soundtracks just sound horrible to me....
Agreed 100%. As much as the jump to 1080p video is a huge improvement the DD TrueHD/DTS-HD/Uncompressed PCM audio is as significant as the eye candy. Some of uncompressed soundtracks are just mindblowing... if you have a decent audio setup that can handle it 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith' comes to mind, the audio in some of the action sequences is stunning to say the least.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
I bought Blade Runner (5 disc) and 2001 A Space Odyssey for $15 each at Amazon.ca because they're old favorites and I read that they're both among the best for video transfer qualities - and showing off your system.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
i wouldnt say that...theyre great examples of restoration and how good an old film can look when touched up, but if you want something to "show off your system" you want something modern, shiny and new.

transformers is probably the best demo material youll find...the picture is flawless in most parts and the lossless audio is absolutely top notch.

batman begins is also a great bluray to show off shadow detail and black levels. apocalypto also comes to mind as being top notch material for both sound and picture...the entire movie looks beautiful and some of the sound sequences are amazing..the part when theyre lead into the city in shackles is so full and enveloping...theres also a part where a spear literally flies right through your room past your right ear...its one of the best matings of surround sound to on screen action i can remember..its absolutely flawless

TILT_Lance

TRIBE Member
videotronic said:
i wouldnt say that...theyre great examples of restoration and how good an old film can look when touched up, but if you want something to "show off your system" you want something modern, shiny and new.

transformers is probably the best demo material youll find...the picture is flawless in most parts and the lossless audio is absolutely top notch.

batman begins is also a great bluray to show off shadow detail and black levels. apocalypto also comes to mind as being top notch material for both sound and picture...the entire movie looks beautiful and some of the sound sequences are amazing..the part when theyre lead into the city in shackles is so full and enveloping...theres also a part where a spear literally flies right through your room past your right ear...its one of the best matings of surround sound to on screen action i can remember..its absolutely flawless
just to add to movies that look great on blu ray hddvd is chronicles of riddick and as mentioned before serenity

rod_g

TRIBE Member
I really don't understand how ppl don't see a diff between DVD and HiDef.
Unless you are watching it on some generic panel or CRT, it's a pretty big difference, fo rizza

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
The added detail can ruin a movie though too. There are times when I watch Hellboy on BluRay, that I can make out the special effects makeup flaws, etc.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
videotronic said:
I see what you mean, and will definitely knock down my expectations for first time viewing (haven't watched them yet).

I just don't see many new movies that are worth buying on bluray - or even watching for a second time, for that matter.

I used to collect movies on VHS and pretty much stopped buying DVD when I sold my VHS collection for $1 each (and I was lucky to even get that much).
There are a few movies I plan on buying bluray but they are mostly all older ones that have finally been restored. Goonies will probably be the next one :)

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
GoodFellas is something like 16.99 @ futureshop. Also, you can some of the Kubrick films for 2 for 40 @ best Buy right now.