• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Bleep not Bleep 3 by Me

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
Bleep not Bleep is the name I give to my mixes that are originally intended for Bleep Radio, but then for various reasons are not used. This one was recorded last night (June 8th) with the intention of using it for the show airing on the 15th. I no longer need a mix for the 15th as a guest sent me confirmation last night about him playing live for me. So my mix just dropped a few dozen notches on the great big list of priorities. That means I don't have to hold onto it which is cool.

I call the music I play Techno. Unfortunately that doesn't do it justice in these parts. This is Techno that you will probably not hear anywhere around here. [if you know of someone else who plays it let me know. I've looked and found no one.] It's heavy, grating, bassy, tweaky, disturbing; full of edits, machine clanks, acid lines, processed vocals lamenting lamentable things and has what I feel to be oodles more creativity and imagination put into it than 99% of the stuff I hear out there.

For people who wonder why they never see me out at parties and clubs the answer sort of lies in this mix. I go out to dance. To dance I need music I truly enjoy. At the moment Toronto doesn't offer me this. I make attempts and without sugar coating it I'll say I usualy don't have a good time. If I could go out and find the kinda of tunes that I play I would be in a better frame of mind than the Dalai Lama himself.

I've included some extra info with each track in the list here. Just to give an idea of where this stuff comes from. I think maybe only 5 of these records were even purchased in North America...which kinda explains why not many people here know/play it. I'm working on that though ;)

Mixed by: Trevor Wilkes bleep@isoprax.com / vilest.worker@gmail.com
For more mixes and music info my site is just about the only place you can go to find it all in one spot... handy eh?

http://www.fun-in-the-murky.com

Spread the word, puff puff give, share the wealth and all that jazz.

Tracklist:
01 - Norman "Suppe Richtig Schön Kuche Rein" Feinwerk 08
[Newest release on Christian Schacta's Label "Feinwerk" based in Geissen Germany. Feinwerk can be described as John Tejada mixed with Neil Landstrumm]

02 - L.x.A. "I Am A P" Zinch 02
[One of the many aliases of another German fellow. L.x.A. also known as Al.x.E also half of the group Aeox which also includes Hanno Hinkelbein. Serious TECHNO and wicked Hip Hop. Their live sets include Sax, Guitar and every other instrument you could imagine. Some of the best techno of the last 5 years comes from these guys.]

03 - Norman "Light And Dark" Feinwerk 08
[Newest release on Christian Schacta's Label "Feinwerk" based in Geissen Germany. Feinwerk can be described as John Tejada mixed with Neil Landstrumm]

04 - Cari Lekebusch "Bubble Chamber" H Productions 03X
[We all know who Cari is ;)]

05 - Paul Birken "Making Landfall" Audio Textures 08
[Paul, Paul, Paul...what can be said about Paul. He's cranked out some of the classic acid techno gems that we all Loved Terry Mullan for playing. He can do things with a Synth that no one else can. He's know putting out crazy 'machine funk' techno and is in the midst of re-releasing some of his old classics. I am his webmaster/host so if you want more info check my site and you'll find his.]

06 - Paul Birken "Speaker Freakin (2006 Remix)" Tonewrecker 10
[Paul, Paul, Paul...what can be said about Paul. He's cranked out some of the classic acid techno gems that we all Loved Terry Mullan for playing. He can do things with a Synth that no one else can. He's know putting out crazy 'machine funk' techno and is in the midst of re-releasing some of his old classics. I am his webmaster/host so if you want more info check my site and you'll find his.]

07 - Steph "Rumpelkammer" Null 0.16
[Steph works in the local record store in Geissen, Germany. This is his first release and it's strong. Very 'tracky' and not song based structure at all which I find suits this style of music better - but there are sounds and edits in this record that make my ears spin round. ]

08 - TSR "Big Giant Head" Don't Recordings 09
[TSR AKA Transexual Swiss Rebels. Three guys from Sweden who have undoubtedly the zaniest sense of humour and love of things atari. Total bit redcued mayhem...if you love the Zelda theme song you'll love their stuff.]

09 - Doshy "Wild Things" Robox-Neotech 01
[I don't know too much about Doshy of Robox...I do know its a German crew. Or I think it is. It might be Swedish if I'm wrong. Each releas on Robox tends to be a various comp with a track from each of them and it's always some pretty rough and tough tech breaks and screechy things. Tons of fun which is the point.]

10 - The Wee Dj's "Arguments" Input-Output 12
[The Scottish hooligan on Cynthia Stern's Swedish Electro label...Wee rocks, very hard and hypnotic electro with slow progressions that sneak things up on you. Did I mention dirty?]

11 - Essit Muzique "Essit Muzique 1" Aciiieeed 04
[The track everyone in these parts know as the track Terry Mullan started his New School Fusion tape off with...Essit Muzique is Eric Van Den Broek who runs Shiver and pretty much sells out each record he releases immediately because HE IS SOOOOO FUCKING GOOD!]

12 - Cannibal Cooking Club "Longpigchef (Bill Youngman Remix)" Cannibal Cooking Club 04
[Hydro and Alex are the CCC. They take a heavy distorted and bleepy loop and work the shit out of it. Doesn't sound like much and I'm the first to admit it doesn't always work...but goddman have they done some clever shit. CCC is good to rock doubles of for sure. This is the Bill Youngman mix though Bill is a Landstrumm-esque live show kinda guy. Same feel but not entirely the same style...I didn't play a lot of this track...maybe 32 bars so you don't get the full raunch. Just enough to see what's what.]

13 - Bass Kitten & Single Cell Orchestra "Morgasm" Spacebar Sentiments 03
[Crazy ass electro/breaks track. Completely made of samples and edits...breaks tracks and old hip hop records...low end disturbing and rating an 11 on a scale of 10. The label this is on is 1 of 2 electro labels that I like right now...doing good things.]

14 - The Flying Lurinskys "The Luddites" Miditonal 08
[The Flying Lurinsky's = Michael Forshaw and Dan Monox. Forshaw has been doing crazy stuttering beats and techno for a few years now. Mostly on his Chan'n'Mikes label but recently he's teamed up with Dan Monox. One of the gents who run the Monox club night in Glasgow. Hard Abrasive...always with a sense of humour and oddly catchy. Miditonal is THE label for this stuff right now. Bleep Radio spotlight on it with interview with label head coming soon.]

15 - Michael Forshaw "DR008" SMB 10
[As mentioned above forshaw is dope. The Ep this is from is killer electro and rehashed breakdance.]

16 - Snog "Crash Crash (Speed Baby Remix)" [K]rack-troni[k] 10
["industrial" Snog remixed by one of the label residents of my 2nd favorite electro label right now. The guy who runs this label is doing up a mix for me within a week or two...expect insanity. ]

17 - Hardfloor "Strikeout (Orbit Mix)" Harthouse 96
[Acid house/techno vets Hardfloor remixed by some dude Orbit...don't know]

18 - Steph "Polychrom" Null 0.16
[Steph works in the local record store in Geissen, Germany. This is his first release and it's strong. Very 'tracky' and not song based structure at all which I find suits this style of music better - but there are sounds and edits in this record that make my ears spin round. ]

19 - JB3 "Believer" Novamute 19
[Joey Beltram! back when he was good and didn't lick my balls.]

20 - Bill Youngman "Diminishing Brain" Tresor 222
[Bill Youngman rocks...he does Landstrumm-esque crazy wacky techno and hip hop. His live sets aren't to be missed with his live rapping and toasting...quite the hoodlum, but no one rips into a crowd like this guy.]

21 - DIN-ST "Murdersomesound" Tresor 203
[DIN-ST is nuts...everything is different. can't explain. this is reggacore techno tweaks...but nothing else he's done is the same...]

22 - Carl Taylor "Bang The Box" F1 05
[Carl just happens to be a Londoner (UK) who I talk with quite a bit. Good people he is, he's even been to Hamilton which was a coincidence. Anyway he does some pretty hip electro and detroit inspired techno on the harder side of things. He sent me this track about a year ago but it's only just now got pressed. Good stuff. Right up there with his Dust Science Ep which screams Kooky Scientist]

23 - Hardfloor "Strikeout (Surgeon Remix)" Harthouse 96
[hardfloor again. same track even...different remix. The one people seem to want from a certain Cari Lekebusch tape recorded ere in Toronto :D get it while it's good.]

24 - L.x.A "Electro Clash" Zinch 02
[One of the many aliases of another German fellow. L.x.A. also known as Al.x.E also half of the group Aeox which also includes Hanno Hinkelbein. Serious TECHNO and wicked Hip Hop. Their live sets include Sax, Guitar and every other instrument you could imagine. Some of the best techno of the last 5 years comes from these guys.]

Download "Trevor Wilkes - Bleep not Bleep 3"

Less cluttered Tracklist for the non-readers....

01 - Norman "Suppe Richtig Schön Kuche Rein" Feinwerk 08
02 - L.x.A. "I Am A P" Zinch 02
03 - Norman "Light And Dark" Feinwerk 08
04 - Cari Lekebusch "Bubble Chamber" H Productions 03X
05 - Paul Birken "Making Landfall" Audio Textures 08
06 - Paul Birken "Speaker Freakin (2006 Remix)" Tonewrecker 10
07 - Steph "Rumpelkammer" Null 0.16
08 - TSR "Big Giant Head" Don't Recordings 09
09 - Doshy "Wild Things" Robox-Neotech 01
10 - The Wee Dj's "Arguments" Input-Output 12
11 - Essit Muzique "Essit Muzique 1" Aciiieeed 04
12 - Cannibal Cooking Club "Longpigchef (Bill Youngman Remix)" Cannibal Cooking Club 04
13 - Bass Kitten & Single Cell Orchestra "Morgasm" Spacebar Sentiments 03
14 - The Flying Lurinskys "The Luddites" Miditonal 08
15 - Michael Forshaw "DR008" SMB 10
16 - Snog "Crash Crash (Speed Baby Remix)" [K]rack-troni[k] 10
17 - Hardfloor "Strikeout (Orbit Mix)" Harthouse 96
18 - Steph "Polychrom" Null 0.16
19 - JB3 "Believer" Novamute 19
20 - Bill Youngman "Diminishing Brain" Tresor 222
21 - DIN-ST "Murdersomesound" Tresor 203
22 - Carl Taylor "Bang The Box" F1 05
23 - Hardfloor "Strikeout (Surgeon Remix)" Harthouse 96
24 - L.x.A "Electro Clash" Zinch 02

Download "Trevor Wilkes - Bleep not Bleep 3"

Buddy Holly

TRIBE Member
A little too industrial for me at times. You are right when you say no one plays this stuff in Toronto. You are the only one Trevor. I guess I've come to the realization that I don't like my tunes as crunchy!

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
Saying you don't like your tunes as crunchy is fair. Preferences are better left as individual. I wouldn't call much of this mix crunchy though, there are a few tracks that come through as heavily distorted and maximized to ...well the max, but most of this stuff is just using basslines and sounds that aren't as polished as what the 'mainstreamers' are using.

Dirty square-wave basslines instead of sub-sines. 8 bit drum kits instead of say a machine drum being hand-held through a long effects chain. Elements that make it stand out. The "different sounds" gives each track a raw feeling to it. I find (for me of course) it adds emotion to it that all the polish in the world can't give it. The "lower" quality sounds doesn't mean it's not produced well either, not that it's been implied, in most cases if you're listening on a good system with clear sound you'll find yourelf discovering a lot of background audio you wouldn't expect to hear in what is admittedly fairly hard music. I find the producers of this style put in a lot of time adding a lot of detail. It's just missed at first due to whatever reasons...well I think it's missed. No way to really compare what we both hear. ;)

I actually started off as a professed Detroit junkie. The "futuristic electronic" music at one time. The problem is; Detroit is still doing the same thing. There have been a few more elements added to it I'll grant it that. But I think it lost its grasp on what is futuristic a long time ago. It's become just good music. Which is fine. The "Brighton" or "Wonky" sound is what has taken over as the future in my mind. The producers focus on using sounds and arrangements that haven't been killed yet. The Dj's tend to cover a wider range of music as the original Detroiteers did. It's generally got a sense of humour and a sense of playfulness. Most importantly it gives nods to the past while creating the future.

I'm going to cut myself off now...if I get into the future I'll really start to ramble.

By the way BH...thanks for the listen. i'm not stabbing at you here. Just rolling thought, ideas and opinions around in my head while I wait for my other to get her butt out of bed on a Saturday morning. ;)

Buddy Holly

TRIBE Member
Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer this mix more than others, it's just some of the tracks don't appeal to me. I guess I'll stick to my "Cap'n Crunch"
:)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

xopus

TRIBE Member
it sounds like this is going to be pretty interesting.

i'm downloading it now, looking forward to throwing it on after this new matthew herbert album finishes. I'm on new monitors too, so it's going to sound sick, regardless of if i like it or not.

xopus

TRIBE Member
sick mix. i think this is going to end up in heavy rotaiton.
I want to hear this on a dancefloor. it would tear the place up.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
dude. I am listening to this mix again.
I absolutely love it.

I really really love what you've chosen for the first track.
:)