• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Blair faces new 'war crimes' accusation

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Blair faces new 'war crimes' accusation
By Severin Carrell
18 January 2004

An eminent panel of legal experts is to accuse Tony Blair of committing war crimes in Iraq in a formal complaint to the International Criminal Court in The Hague.

The panel, which includes law professors from universities in Britain, Ireland, France and Canada, will claim on Tuesday there is compelling evidence that the Prime Minister broke international law and UN treaties by invading Iraq last year.

The eight experts will recommend that the ICC launches a formal investigation into the Government's conduct - the first step towards indicting ministers for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Their dossier will add to the renewed controversy over Mr Blair's stance on Iraq. It will be published a week before Lord Hutton issues his report into the death of weapons expert Dr David Kelly, which examines the Prime Minister's role in the decision to name him.

The ICC has already rejected several attempts by Greek and Belgian lawyers to investigate the Government's behaviour, but in this case its lawyers have contacted the panel in advance to ask for a copy of their report.

The panel includes Guy Goodwin-Gill QC of All Souls, Oxford, Professor Christine Chinkin of LSE, Professor Upendra Baxi from Warwick University and Professor William Schabas, director of the Irish Centre of Human Rights.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=482331

Adam

TRIBE Member
I thought I heard talk of the same action being taken against Dubya.

I know nothing would likely come of it, but it would be quite a statement nonetheless.

(fyi, there's a good article about the ICC in the January issue of Walrus)

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
the way it seems to be working is first they accuse Blair, as the British actually have balls, then they follow a few months later with blaming Bush for the same things now that they feel the political climate will allow for it.

I hope they do charge Blair. Bush will be sweating in his boots trying to do damage control. The cunt.

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
I hope they do charge Blair. Bush will be sweating in his boots trying to do damage control. The cunt.

I don't think Bush is smart enough to understand that he may get in trouble for his actions. If so who cares he's the fall guy for the Republicans. I even think his daddy put him into power knowing that Bush Jr. may be the fall guy.

Adam

TRIBE Member
Interesting. The article says "there is compelling evidence that the Prime Minister broke international law and UN treaties by invading Iraq last year"

Do you know any more details on the specifics here? My international law is shaky. ;)

Is at a simple as the unfounded invasion of another country? I wonder what the details are, and how directly things could be transferred to Bush.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by man_slut
I even think his daddy put him into power knowing that Bush Jr. may be the fall guy.

This family seems callous enough to go this. Prescott Bush was still aiding Hitler even when George Sr. was flying for the US military, fighting the Germans.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
You guys wanna hear something neat?

You may or may not know I'm down in Austin Texas, so I've had the luxury of listening to Fox news and CNN. Now, as you know, Fox has the equivalent content of a pile of poo, but CNN is on rare occasion, slightly better.

Part of CNN's program is "morning America" or some shit like that. Anyway, I was watching it this morning, and for the THIRD day in a row, they have said the following when they start talking about Iraq:

"Well, some people are still complaining about how those XXXX weapons of mass destruction haven't been found yet."

Where you can replace XXXX with one of: dumb, silly or pesky.

Seriously.

Seriously. Those are precisely the words they've been using, ad nauseum. Not that I'm really surprised, but it's kinda like hearing about the enclaves in Palestine, and then actually seeing them. *shrugs*

EDIT: and don't think this raises exposure on the issue. they don't say much more than the above on the issue before they move on to more important things, like michael jackson, or sumthin ionno.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

OTIS

TRIBE Member
The only way this can possibly lead to a conviction is if it's found that Blair received a blowjob while signing the dossier. One component for the accusation to gain momentum in the public eye is how much entertainment value it holds retains. Peopleneed to dig up some dirt on Blair. Get a Downing street hooker to testify about the dossier or something.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
(excuse the thread digression)

atp, what do you think of austin? i've heard good things about it from friends. there's a peep show place there (or used to be, not sure if it's still there) that at one time was staffed entirely by crazy anarchist chicks.