• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

BLADERUNNER 2049 Reviews

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
^ All the IMAX and UltraAVX theatres are showing it in 3D only, unfortunately. It's playing in a lot of non-3D theatres, including at Scotiabank Theatre, but those would be on puny screens.

As much as I hate the 3D glasses, I think for a movie like this it should be tolerated in return for the superior screen/sound.

Actually all IMAX screenings in North America specifically are showing in 2D only. My laser IMAX screening last night at the Scotiabank Theatre was definitely in 2D.

The film is being released by Warner Bros. domestically, and Sony Pictures Releasing in overseas territories.[59] In addition to standard 2D and 3D formats, Blade Runner 2049 is set for release in IMAX theaters.[60] Due to the popularity and preference of IMAX in 2D (as opposed to 3D) among moviegoers in North America, the film will be shown in IMAX theaters in only 2D domestically, but will be screened in 3D formats internationally.[61]

Blade Runner 2049 - Wikipedia

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room
This was really good. Lots to think about, but it's a very worthy sequel and a really nice addition to Dennis Villeneuve's growing resume. It didn't disappoint me at all. A spoiler filled review (with the vbb code for spoilers) will come later. Just tons to think about right now and really delivered on the envisioned future that is Los Angeles.

Saw it in IMAX, now I really want to see it in 3D.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Actually all IMAX screenings in North America specifically are showing in 2D only. My laser IMAX screening last night at the Scotiabank Theatre was definitely in 2D.

That's great news! I have Scotiabank IMAX tickets for Sunday night, and just assumed they would be for 3D. I absolutely love watching 2D on that big IMAX screen.

Alex - this is where you should watch this.

deep

TRIBE Member
Blade Runner 2049 delivered on expectations as an extended remix of a classic. Kind of like what Trainspotting 2 did.

Avoiding spoilers:

Visually and sonically it feels like an apt successor to the original - only bigger, more imposing. I can't remember the last soundtrack I heard with that much violence and weight to it. As though Zimmer etc. took all the tension building tones from blockbusters since the original and turned it to 11. Eye candy wise it's staggering. Welcomed the return and expansion of original visual themes - brutalism, art deco, early 20th century, cold war, sterile futurist designs, decayed empires e.g. Egypt, digital consumerism, cultural synthesis, film noir grit and overpopulated, dirty, urban landscapes. Thematically I think it updates the original questions on what it means to be alive with ideas that are real considerations in the present, while still being a bit timeless like the original.

That said it is good to see Ryan Gosling's character from Drive alive and well in 2049. Good guy who is good at what he does, grappling with redemption over the bad things he does, sacrificing himself for someone else's family. And I think only those of us waiting 20+ years for this could more easily overlook it taking 2 hours to go somewhere fast.

And having a female bad guy is just fucking awesome. Would have been amazing if David Bowie had lived to play the role Jared Leto did.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Did anyone else catch Officer K (Ryan Gosling) eyes go red like Deckard and Rachael's eyes in the original? Was very easy to notice on the big laser IMAX screening. However, my second screening was not in IMAX and it was a lot harder to see.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Excellent. Managed to respect the original and avoided rehashing the story in an unoriginal fashion. The soundtrack was even more moody than Dark Knight and set the tone very well. Visually it was stunning and the 3d was very subtle that it didn't take away from the movie. Can't wait to watch this at home when it becomes available on blu ray

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
I enjoyed it a lot. I think it was a good homage to the the first one even if it wasn't as thought provoking. Even seen was beautiful and the attention to detail was fantastic.

EXCEPT…

It is 2049, space heaters are not light fixtures. Robin, fix your decor. Totally derailed the movie for me, 4/5 stars.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
9/10.
soundtrack was out of this world. Eyecandy Galore.
Denis and Ridley knocked this one out of the park.
Blu Ray please !

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Finally caught this yesterday. Jaw dropping visuals and when paired with the guttural, screaming score, it was the most overwhelmed I've been sensorially in a long time at the cinema. Gosling and Ford were both great and it's certainly a worth heir to the original and extends the Dick's ideas in many interesting places. The final act doesn't totally land for me, but it's goddamn close to a masterpiece until that point.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Really happy that Cinesphere just updated their website and starting this weekend "Blade Runner 2049" will be showing in laser IMAX for the holidays. Even though, it wasn't filmed using IMAX cameras it's still perfect for the Cinesphere because it was "specially formatted for IMAX". When it was first released in October, I saw it at Scotiabank's laser IMAX theatre and it was totally AWESOME. The full movie had an aspect ratio of 1.90: 1 in IMAX. It would have been mindblowing if it was filmed in IMAX and we got an aspect ratio of 1.43: 1 like "Dunkirk".

Cinesphere Information & Tickets - Ontario Place

It'll be my fourth time seeing "Blade Runner 2049" on the big screen and only my second time seeing in its glorious IMAX version. :cool:

Really happy that Cinesphere just updated their website and starting this weekend "Blade Runner 2049" will be showing in laser IMAX for the holidays. Even though, it wasn't filmed using IMAX cameras it's still perfect for the Cinesphere because it was "specially formatted for IMAX". When it was first released in October, I saw it at Scotiabank's laser IMAX theatre and it was totally AWESOME. The full movie had an aspect ratio of 1.90: 1 in IMAX. It would have been mindblowing if it was filmed in IMAX and we got an aspect ratio of 1.43: 1 like "Dunkirk".

Cinesphere Information & Tickets - Ontario Place

It'll be my fourth time seeing "Blade Runner 2049" on the big screen and only my second time seeing in its glorious IMAX version. :cool:

GOING
And thank you.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
GOING
And thank you.

Your welcome.

Saw this over the holidays at the Cinesphere and will add that it was even better than my laser IMAX experience at the Scotiabank Theatre. The sound at this IMAX theatre is just phenomenal. Can't wait to see more feature films at this amazing venue which only re-opened last November.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I just watched it last night. I would go to the Cinesphere just so I can hear the loud flying car scenes...heavy bass.