1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

BlackBerry users running out of loyalty: 50 % plan to defect to iPhone or Android

Discussion in 'Technology' started by glych t.anomaly, Aug 2, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

BlackBerry users running out of loyalty: 50 percent plan to defect to iPhone or Android -- Engadget

Nielsen has its own angle on the smartphone numbers game out today, and the results vaguely resemble the numbers from Canalys. Perhaps more interesting than the ever present market share tug-of-war (Nielsen pegs Google, RIM, and Apple at 27 percent, 33 percent, and 23 percent in sales to new smartphone subscribers, respectively) a note on brand loyalty turns out ugly for BlackBerry: while 89 percent of iPhone owners plan on getting another iPhone, and 71 percent of Android buyers plan to re-up, only 42 percent of BlackBerry owners plan to stick around.

The defectors are pretty evenly split, with 29 percent planning to go iPhone, and 21 percent to go Android. That compares to 2 and 3 percent in the iPhone and Android camps planning a move to BlackBerry. We'll see if BlackBerry 6 can solve this little problem for RIM, but the few tweaks we've seen so far seem hardly capable of stemming the flow.

Blackberry OS 6 i thought would put some new life into the BB community, but i guess that remains to be seen.

as well, whomever is in their Prod Dev / Marketing dept and decided the ' Black Pad ' was the appropriate name for their tablet....

*shakes head*

[jai]

2. bitchass

bitchass TRIBE Member

I'm kind of meh about these numbers. Storm2 is a good device - but its obvious the OS is just the non-touch version a bit modified to work with a touch screen. I think OS6 will make it less menu driven. 99% of these people will stick with BB if the webkit browser works well.

The sneak peeks at the different APIs that will be available show it should be able to do everything the iphone and Android already do - so there will be catchup. But the others don't do phone/email/calendar/tasks even nearly as well as BB do.

3. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Been a hardcore bb user as long as I can remember. Will be making switch to iPhone, and the work tablet will be Android-based.

4. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

I think a lot people have both. Work issued BB, iphone for personal. That numbers multiplies by 10 in New York.

5. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

work pays for the bb so im not wasting money on a seperate phone. That being said, if they have actually sorted the browser out I think people would be less inclined to leave. Fucking thing is just insanely bad.