• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Blackberry releases what could be its last phone, the Z30

octo

TRIBE Member
so wired decided to challenge it's staff to report from CES using only their mobile phones.

Welcome to WIRED's CES Smartphone Thunderdome | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Christina is our Apple reporter, so she will wield her iPhone 5S; Robbie Baldwin will be coming to you live from a Nokia Lumia 1020; Mat Honan is carrying his lovely bamboo-backed Moto X; and Tim Moynihan will… uhm… Tim is… Tim is going to blog from a Blackberry Z30. Whoever lasts the full four days and produces the best content will win that old Las Vegas standby: a chicken dinner. (Robbie is a vegetarian, so we’ll get him a Tofurkey or something.)
note that two of the reporters (iphone and android) will use their own phones that they are familiar with. the other two get phones with an OS that they're obviously not familiar with.

the results

WIRED's CES Smartphone Thunderdome: The Final Results | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

MOTOX : 100 points
LUMIA 1020: 145 points
iPhone 5s : 147.75 points
BB Z30: 257.5 points

Tim used a Blackberry Z30, so yeah, he was the underdog from the beginning. And there were plenty of moments we were sure he'd have to tap out of our little competition. Somehow, through a combination of sheer tenacity and robotic stamina, Tim managed to not only complete the Smartphone Thunderdome Challenge, but to win decisively. Seriously, look at that score! Tim not only won many of the bonus challenges, he took home the extra Overall Winner, Best Photography, and Most Posts points as well. Tim, you are truly a CES smartphone blogging machine. Now please get some sleep.
it's really too bad that bad press and lemming mentality has relegated blackberry to an afterthought.

i'm waiting for the q30, but might cave and get a z30. i just don't know if i could handle giving up the keyboard.

oh ya, one last thing. notice in the wrap up comments. they praise Tim the blogger and not the phone. even after a decisive victory people in the media can't bring themselves to accept a blackberry phone as winner.

Last edited:

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I've been seriously considering giving up my 5s and converting to a Z30, I've never owned a blackberry before but it was the first of their phones that impressed me.

The only reason I'm considering the switch is because I despise typing on the Iphone, when i switched from a 4 for the 5s I thought the extra real estate my fix my issues but no, I still appear to be a construction worker with massive thumbs when I type on the 5s.

The reality is a have pretty average sized hands (but ladies, my junk is huge:D)

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Have a Nexus 4 running Android, and an Apple 3GS before that, and before that one of the BB keyboard models. Seriously thinking of switching to Blackberry this year, if they can survive that long. Better security, better communications "hub", better e-mail. Don't really care about the apps that much, and apparently BB10 can side-load Android apps now easily enough (and apply a bunch of protections against siphoning of info like my contact list). If I really want apps, I've got a Nexus 7 and latest gen iPad to use.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
I am the same way. My Q10 hasn't made a peep. Battery lasts all fucking day, more than can be said about any of the others. Use it non-stop, too, not a 9-5er with a desk job, so I'm on this thing always. Hotspot, blutooth etc., go go go. Great hub, great search, terrible apps. All I use though are facebook and shitter, and I don't sideload. When google play lets me d/l googleapps on here my life will be better but again, I'm the same as you - ipad mini and big, for my apps.

Go BB go!

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I'm going to see if I can find out a bit more about the android app capability and I'll get back to you on it. I'll see if side loading is still required.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
im very interested in the Z30, i dont REALLY need a new phone, but it might be fun to find out what it would be like to use one for awhile. i wonder if i can get one from one of my friends at RIMBERRY

justin surdit

TRIBE Member
re: Android Functionality....

Currently on any leaked/beta OS that are 10.2.1.xxx (I have the most recent one currently and love it) you can download Android .apk files direct and run them without having to convert to .bar files. At this time only free apps/games are available, and I believe some aren't working (although the ones I use are working). In my experience, the apps that I have downloaded to my BB that require a subscription service (Sirius, NBA Game Time/League Pass) will not allow a log in, so it's not full blown, however my Netflix works just fine. And google maps works great, but you cannot log into your google account through the app (remembered "places" etc aren't available as a result).

There are a couple of apps/stores available to access the .apk's. Most use one or more of the following: Amazon App Store, Droid Store and a sideloaded app called Snap. (FYI - sideloading is super easy with the Chrome browser once you get it set up). the first 2 are actual app stores, but Snap is the one I prefer. Basically it allows you to search direct through the app, and it combs through the Play Store to provide the /apk files (from what I understand...grain of salt and all) which I feel to be the most secure (but have no hard data to back up that claim).

The 10.2.1.1925 leaked OS is quite a good one, and I believe it is available for all models of BB10 phones (except maybe the STL-100m which is a Z10 that is sold mostly in other countries..I think it has no LTE access).

To look into this further visit the crackberry forums, there are much more educated people than I in this matter and a ton of tutorials etc. If you are going to look into installing a leaked OS, please be sure to do the proper research on the process, as messing up the process may in fact cause issues with your phone

From what is rumoured at this point, the official 10.2.1.xxx OS is expected to be released in the next few months.

lobo

TRIBE Member
I think that their new phones are nice and all but I'm still not willing to be burned by them again after what they did to the Playbook. That device was IMHO one of the best built tablets at the time with a great screen. There were promises of updates and fixes and eventually they just abandoned it. Why would you want to go with them again after pulling things like this? Who's to say that they won't abandon the Z10/Q10 and just focus on the Z30?

Lobo

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

justin surdit

TRIBE Member
Because the Q10/Q5/Z10/Z30 and upcoming releases are all running the same OS. The PB (and I was one burned on it as well, but I didn't buy until they had dropped to clearance prices) was a unique device in that it wasn't running BBOS, but wasn't running BB10. The PB OS was essentially their "dry run" OS on QNX... from what has been said, the BB10 experience was too resource heavy and the PB's 1 gig ram wouldn't be able to give the same experience as the more powerful handsets...

The PB did get a small update last year, but for all intents and purposes it was left for dead when BB10 didn't get the initial traction out of the gate as they had to focus on more important things at the time..

But whatever...it still totally sucks monkey dick that they stopped support for the PB.

kuba

TRIBE Member
re: Android Functionality....

Currently on any leaked/beta OS that are 10.2.1.xxx (I have the most recent one currently and love it) you can download Android .apk files direct and run them without having to convert to .bar files. At this time only free apps/games are available, and I believe some aren't working (although the ones I use are working). In my experience, the apps that I have downloaded to my BB that require a subscription service (Sirius, NBA Game Time/League Pass) will not allow a log in, so it's not full blown, however my Netflix works just fine. And google maps works great, but you cannot log into your google account through the app (remembered "places" etc aren't available as a result).

There are a couple of apps/stores available to access the .apk's. Most use one or more of the following: Amazon App Store, Droid Store and a sideloaded app called Snap. (FYI - sideloading is super easy with the Chrome browser once you get it set up). the first 2 are actual app stores, but Snap is the one I prefer. Basically it allows you to search direct through the app, and it combs through the Play Store to provide the /apk files (from what I understand...grain of salt and all) which I feel to be the most secure (but have no hard data to back up that claim).

The 10.2.1.1925 leaked OS is quite a good one, and I believe it is available for all models of BB10 phones (except maybe the STL-100m which is a Z10 that is sold mostly in other countries..I think it has no LTE access).

To look into this further visit the crackberry forums, there are much more educated people than I in this matter and a ton of tutorials etc. If you are going to look into installing a leaked OS, please be sure to do the proper research on the process, as messing up the process may in fact cause issues with your phone

From what is rumoured at this point, the official 10.2.1.xxx OS is expected to be released in the next few months.
This is why you know what you're talking about and I don't. Clearly this is above my thought ability. Just make it easy for me :)

praktik

TRIBE Member
I think that their new phones are nice and all but I'm still not willing to be burned by them again after what they did to the Playbook. That device was IMHO one of the best built tablets at the time with a great screen. There were promises of updates and fixes and eventually they just abandoned it. Why would you want to go with them again after pulling things like this? Who's to say that they won't abandon the Z10/Q10 and just focus on the Z30?

Lobo
I'm sure they would love to be on PB3 now and supporting a spectacularly successful product line - it didn't work out.

They weren't trying to screw PB owners - how could they? They were too busy gettin' screwed

Wiseman

TRIBE Member

Lobo
The new guy says they are focusing on keyboards so the q10 will be supported. There is a q30 coming out.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
my bb got wet so i took my moms old iphone, 16 gig 4s
I FUCKING HATE IT

apple is the worst fucking piece of shit to deal with. i am going back to BB the minute i get my upgrade.

i will not suck apples dick so i can have apps galore. i want to be able to drag and drop EVERYTHING. no downloads, no fake email accounts and no more fucking apple anything on my pc.

auto correct can suck my fucking balls...i typed FUCK not DUCK you piece of shit

tried to download my music or sync or whatever bullshit they call it. there were triple and doubles of songs i had to manually delete instead of it knowing it has multiples of fucking songs or sets....under my limit and still wont sync yet tells me it has.....15 fucking times now

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kyfe

TRIBE Member
my bb got wet so i took my moms old iphone, 16 gig 4s
I FUCKING HATE IT

apple is the worst fucking piece of shit to deal with. i am going back to BB the minute i get my upgrade.

i will not suck apples dick so i can have apps galore. i want to be able to drag and drop EVERYTHING. no downloads, no fake email accounts and no more fucking apple anything on my pc.

auto correct can suck my fucking balls...i typed FUCK not DUCK you piece of shit

tried to download my music or sync or whatever bullshit they call it. there were triple and doubles of songs i had to manually delete instead of it knowing it has multiples of fucking songs or sets....under my limit and still wont sync yet tells me it has.....15 fucking times now
honestly it sounds like you have no clue how to use apple product,

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

octo

TRIBE Member
so far this year they released the Z3 in emerging markets. i think 8 or 10 countries with 8 or 10 more to come. demand is outpacing supply.

the passport was released wednesday. they expected to sell 240,000 by the end of the year and sold 200,000 in the first day.

classic/q30 to be released in november.

their handset division is making money again

nice prediction alexd

the kicker though is Blend. securely connecting your phone to any device is super convenient for regular users, but it's going to be a godsend to corporate IT departments.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I think the passport is going to be a fail but I admire their attempt. The Q30 will be the poweruser phone. I love my 10 - have had it since basically the release and no issues. I'm often surprised how sturdy they are i.e. falling from counter height no issue.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
My wife's z10 took a dive of the counter a few weeks ago so we replaced with the z30.

From the short time we have had I have nothing but good things gs to say

Comes down to personal preference but we have always had blackberry products and I think the z30 is by far their best.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
The Passport has been great to me since launch day. Never a time when I feel I have to be tethered to an outlet, or rush to charge it.

Apps were never a big draw beyond a few(and Blackberry 10 has em, or they can be sideloaded)

I had blackberry back in '08-09 as a work device, and they were ok. This is miles better.