• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Black Lives Matter vs PRIDE

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
BLM did a terrific job turning Pride Toronto on its head

Also I think there has been a general shift in the overall vibe of the event over the last decade or so. Pride Toronto has turned from an event of deep cultural, spiritual and political significance to the gay community into this garish corporate spoogefest that is all about TD bank rainbow logo fridge magnets and Proud to Be Gay KFC chicken buckets. I think Pride might have to scale down and return to its roots, perhaps by either instituting some kind of throttling on the types and quantity of corporate marketing and advertising accepted, or perhaps channel the profits (and there should be profits) into developing grassroots campaigns for the gay community to remind and re-connect it to it's roots.

If it is just a giant party with no meaning it becomes something else entirely.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I do remember quite fondly attending year after year of Pride through the 1990s. Back then people were ok with the biggest sponsors being Labatt's and/or Molson.

But yeah as the LGBTQ community has become more fully integrated into general society in Toronto, they become just another large group of people in one place that marketers want to access. There's no stigma in Toronto for marketing to this event anymore. Gayness isn't controversial here. That means big money. BLM brought controversy back to Pride, and that means losing 20 years of progress in fundraising and marketing potential.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
I think Pride might have to scale down and return to its roots, perhaps by either instituting some kind of throttling on the types and quantity of corporate marketing and advertising accepted, or perhaps channel the profits (and there should be profits) into developing grassroots campaigns for the gay community to remind and re-connect it to it's roots.
These and similar feelings were expressed by the queer and trans membership last night (and at the last AGM in January). Four board members were elected who agree. We will see what happens.

There already is a bunch of more grassroots programming as part of Pride month that is very different from the big festival weekend. If you only show up for the beer gardens and the parade, well of course that's all you'll notice.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
I do remember quite fondly attending year after year of Pride through the 1990s. Back then people were ok with the biggest sponsors being Labatt's and/or Molson.
There has been tension about corporate sponsorship as long as there has been corporate sponsorship. As the festival has gotten bigger and corporate presence has gotten massive, people in the community have become more polarized and it's just more obvious.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Pride Toronto, along with the 519, Alliance for South Asian AIDS Prevention, Black Coalition for AIDS Prevention, Toronto People with AIDS Foundation, and the Sherbourne Health Centre, have asked the TPS to withdraw their application to march in the parade this year.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Everything feels like poison. The murders are horrifying, but I don’t share the hatred out there for TPS. I can’t imagine doing their job right now. Holly crap what a nightmare case to navigate.

I started checking out the Twitter feed for NYC Pride just to see what conversations they’re having. It didn’t feel toxic like here. I hope we get back to that point.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Unless there's an anti liberal angle to be played, wickedken usually plays the ignorance card. That and shit about movies. It's the extent of his two dimensional tribe persona. Ain't nothing changed 'cept the weather.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Everything feels like poison. The murders are horrifying, but I don’t share the hatred out there for TPS. I can’t imagine doing their job right now. Holly crap what a nightmare case to navigate.

I started checking out the Twitter feed for NYC Pride just to see what conversations they’re having. It didn’t feel toxic like here. I hope we get back to that point.
Where’s the recently qualitative and quantitatively verifiable complaint and evidence that the NYPD has said “just fucking faggots, who cares?”. The NYPD had a rough go between ‘65 and ‘82. They took steps to sort their shit out, weed out the scum, employ to a higher standard and take responsibility for their past mistakes. TPS? Devoid of ANY of this.

I can’t imigane being a member of a tax-paying community that’s been purposefully marginalized by those who’re sworn to serve and protect them.

This “toxicity” is well warranted. The police are paid to serve ALL citizens in their jurisdictiction. THAT’S the JOB. Ain’t no pick and choose. Highest paid, biggest gang in the city - with the most resources of ANY publicly funded service.

These people chose their field. Many of them are under-qualified and ill-trained. A good number of them have ZERO business strapping a side-arm. Heck, even pepper-spray is too much responsibility for some. Basically, a bunch of fucking failed tough-guys that are better suited to receiving a proper ass-kicking than being paid to uphold codified law.

They don’t come when you call and rarely give a rat’s-ass when they do. They don’t give a shit about anything but doling out tickets, paid Court days and $55/hr to lean on a construction rail and suck back coffee - in uniforms that my tax-dollars provide - while playing Candy Crush, with a fucking gun (which I’m also forced to pay for) strapped to their side.

This is not the minority, by ANY stretch. ...and this doesn’t even begin to address the sick, twisted reality that must accompany ANY reasoned dialogue about the sub-par, half-witted pap and nepotism that DEFINES the TPS.

Cry me a fucking river. ...and if you’re still thirsty after sucking it up, go extort another free coffee from Tim’s.

...and their chief mouthpiece - Mike McCormack can go eat bag of dicks. I’ll have ZERO part of a boorish, wanna-be gangstah criminal - whining about total and completely verifiable BULLSHIT.

Policing is a tough job, to be sure. It’s best left to the competent. That’s so far from what we’re dealing with, that it's both sad, nasty and laughable.

Fuck the police.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Hear me out, replace LGBTQ with POC

Now insert Stop and Frisk as the successor to ignoring community concerns about people going missing...