• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Black + berry = Blackberry

slice

TRIBE Member
Man I thought .230 was fast. .323 is retarded. Loving this build so far.

A little thing I noticed..when you add a contact and go to put in the phone number, there is a "w" and "p" button on the keyboard. Anyone know what that could be?

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Wait and Pause. For entering things like calling cards you would enter "18005555555W1p1234p1"

Dialing that would call 1800555555 then wait until you press SEND which would press 1 then pause for a second then automatically enter your password 1234 then pause again for a second then 1. Good for calling cards, voicemail passwords, banking info etc.

The feature has always been there but usually you access it by holding down *, 0 or # depending on the phone.

d.code

TRIBE Member
Im looking forward to this. I wonder if I should wait or install this new Storm build? My phone has slowly been frustrating me more with its slowness.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Wait? Depends, I guess. No one really knows when an official 5.0 will be released but it will probably be closer to the end of the year.

The Storm is completely a different phone with this software.

Not so sure about the Storm2 - it doesn't seem like its going to run on the new HSPA networks that Telus and Bell are launching, and really hasn't even been officially announced in Canada yet.

Stilez

TRIBE Member
New BlackBerry Bold 2 aka 9700 announced the other day
LINK

Main 'NEW' features:

- No more tracking ball, replaced by Trackpad navigation
- Hi-resolution display
- Enhanced multimedia playback

T

TRIBE Member
The Storm is completely a different phone with this software.
it really is uncanny. I was very frustrated with this phone for the last little while, but this has been a great..

Good call on the DM 5.0, it is required.

d.code

TRIBE Member
ok- im going to do it then. I got a call today and it took 20 seconds to "receive" it. Pretty lame. Ill do the install this weekend.

T

TRIBE Member
ok- im going to do it then. I got a call today and it took 20 seconds to "receive" it. Pretty lame. Ill do the install this weekend.
If you would rather wait for an official release, im confident it isnt very far off.

Verizon BlackBerry Storm 9530 Owners to Get Official OS 5.0.0.328 Update on October 25th

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Yeah I did install it over .323 because I wanted to start my phone from complete scratch. I only restored my messages - everything else, all options etc I redid. Calendar, phone book and tasks etc were synced from Outlook.

For some reason with .323 I had only 20MB free memory but now with .328 I have 35MB, after installing all the same programs.

I don't notice any improvements over .323 except that voice activated dialing works properly again - and its still the new version of it.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
I installed it last night and have used it all day and only just now have read the forums at crackberry.com to see people complaining. I have had almost NONE of the problems brought up - I'm convinced its because bringing the backups from previous OS will make the new one not work properly (especially from 4.7). There are just too many new features or moved menus for the backups to work properly.

And I say almost none because I don't consider the small visual glitches to be a problem. I don't care that the first icon is squished vertically, I don't care that it says 1XEV and not 3G, I don't believe the icons and pictures are pixelated etc.

I'm very happy with this OS and its pretty safe to say I'm not going to spend even a dollar to "upgrade" to the Storm2 - unless perhaps Telus surprises us all and launches a HSPA version of it. Not worth the money for only wifi because I have unlimited data for $15.

Last edited:

ian

TRIBE Member
Anyone know which of the new or existing Blackberry devices coming out will be compatible with Bell/Telus's new HSPA network?

Hell, screw that, what about Bell/Telus devices in general?

Bell has told me the solution to my not being able to receive calls properly in my house is the new network due to existing issues with their current network.

ian

TRIBE Member
Sweet. Bold it is! Finally!

or should I go Iphone? My problem is needing to connect to the Exchange Server at work.

Last edited:

futronic

TRIBE Member
Bold 9700 available online from Rogers as of earlier today. I'll be upgrading my device soon. Looking forward to it.

-- Jay aka Fut

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Telus launches it right away, too but I'm not sure if its a different model for the frequencies the new network uses. Need to find out if I'll lose a very competitive grandfathered plan by switching.

Probably going to hang onto the Storm for a few more months and then try out a Android device - maybe a Storm2 if I can get a good deal on one.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Just got the Tour yesterday... upgraded from the 8703...wow, do I ever love this phone. One happy kid!

:D

deep

TRIBE Member
OS 5.0 is pretty slick...held out as usual until it got officially released. Digging the ability to set follow up flags on messages and sync to Outlook, as well as the new IM style UI for text messages and general UI enhancements

bitchass

TRIBE Member
I picked up a CDMA Storm2 in December because I have a lot of friends with coverage issues with Telus/Bell's new HSPA network - also, there isn't a touchscreen BlackBerry available yet for that network.

Out of the box its everything I wanted from my original Storm. Its dual processor with proper graphics acceleration and is very fast at everything - no lag in accelerometer etc.

The screen is such an improvement over the original. It took about 2 minutes to completely dismiss the Storm1 - it was a prototype and should never have been released as it was :)

I pretty much forget the differences between OS 4.7 and 5.0 because I had a leaked version on my Storm for so long.

CiG

TRIBE Member
So my friend got himself the 9700 and it is great but every time he unholsters it it goes into his email right away. Is this a setting in the phone that can be changed so it just stays on the main screen instead of displaying his email?