• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Black + berry = Blackberry

bitchass

TRIBE Member
No, you need a 5.0 radio-based OS for that. I just have some software that I use that isn't compatible with 5 yet...

bitchass

TRIBE Member
There is now a full leak for the Storm 5.0.230 OS. I've been running the previous .230 for about a week and am happy with it. The new version of Blackberry Messenger does not work with it - so make sure to do a backup of your clients for when it is released. It includes the previous version and works fine.

There are some small bugs but nothing that has driven me crazy.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
I downgraded yesterday from 5.0.190 on my Bold to a Hybrid build of 4.6.217
There's a bug in .190 that causes endless loops of rebooting when you roam onto a foreign network. When I went to Ohio last week I was less than amused by having NO phone until I got back to Canada.
5.x isn't ready for primetime yet imo.
The Hybrid OS's are nice though.

slice

TRIBE Member
There is now a full leak for the Storm 5.0.230 OS. I've been running the previous .230 for about a week and am happy with it. The new version of Blackberry Messenger does not work with it - so make sure to do a backup of your clients for when it is released. It includes the previous version and works fine.

There are some small bugs but nothing that has driven me crazy.
I was just going to ask about this..I think i'm going to try .230

Which BBM do I uncheck when installing? I couldn't find it in any of the threads in crackberry.

So do you recommend going for .230?

bitchass

TRIBE Member
The only bug that I'm encountering is the default agenda view in the calendar jumps to the wrong date when I first open it - I just leave my calendar open now, and use the end key instead of escape when I'm done with it.

It includes BBM (most refer to it as version 4.7) it will automatically delete the 5.0 version if its already installed. Do a backup from within BBM5 so you can restore it easily when it eventually gets released.

I've been using .230 since it first came out over a week ago and would recommend it - but check out crackberry to see if theres any programs that might be incompatible. I don't care about the memory monitoring and reset programs because they aren't needed anymore.

d.code

TRIBE Member
So I got a storm a few weeks back. Im liking it. Pretty good little phone machine.

Anyone have any hot tips? That crackberry message board is nuts. Bunch of freaks over there.

slice

TRIBE Member
The only bug that I'm encountering is the default agenda view in the calendar jumps to the wrong date when I first open it - I just leave my calendar open now, and use the end key instead of escape when I'm done with it.

It includes BBM (most refer to it as version 4.7) it will automatically delete the 5.0 version if its already installed. Do a backup from within BBM5 so you can restore it easily when it eventually gets released.

I've been using .230 since it first came out over a week ago and would recommend it - but check out crackberry to see if theres any programs that might be incompatible. I don't care about the memory monitoring and reset programs because they aren't needed anymore.
Ok so I did it and installed .230. Man is it slick. Only weird thing that happened is when I restored my data, all my emails were gone. At least I thought they were gone..they are all showing up in my "messages" folder and not the actual email folder.

Is there a way to move them all back to my email folder?

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Is your email a gmail account? If so, thats the new enhanced gmail plugin - it only shows mail that has arrived since the install but allows you to search remotely, apply labels & spam etc.

slice

TRIBE Member
Is your email a gmail account? If so, thats the new enhanced gmail plugin - it only shows mail that has arrived since the install but allows you to search remotely, apply labels & spam etc.
ya it's gmail.

Does the 3G blackberry logo show up on yours? I heard that it's supposed to show that but mine still has the 1XEV thing.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
3G isn't showing on Bell or Telus. Must be something to do with service books.

I don't care either way about that though - their speeds are generally faster than Rogers' "3G" and its pretty much just a marketing term that they missed the boat on.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
hey, i just got an 8900 curve from my work. i actually really like this thing. Emails are highly readable, much less strain on the eyes than the older curve. Web browsing is still awkward compared to an iPhone but leaps and bounds better than the old curve. And the new trackball and keyboard seem more responsive, perhaps illusory but nonetheless.

slice

TRIBE Member
3G isn't showing on Bell or Telus. Must be something to do with service books.

I don't care either way about that though - their speeds are generally faster than Rogers' "3G" and its pretty much just a marketing term that they missed the boat on.
Another thing i noticed.. i'm charging with my usb and the lightning bolt is gone on the battery icon. I can't tell if it's charging or not! Boo!

d.code

TRIBE Member
Another thing i noticed.. i'm charging with my usb and the lightning bolt is gone on the battery icon. I can't tell if it's charging or not! Boo!

I dont think its charaging. (Your talking about the storm right?). I had my storm plugged in all day at work yesterday through the USB and the battery bar didn't get any bigger. Just slowly drained though out the day.

I think I need to update my storm OS.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I think my 8830 is dying. Battery pull is necessary twice a day. It has been good to me but I need it to hold out until Jan/Feb when I am pretty sure work will unload new hardware on us. I'm not buying my own device and I am loathe to use my backup phone: .......................................I don't even want to type what it is it is sooooo horrible.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
On .230 my charging icon is sometimes there and sometimes not :)
I'm sure its charging though - its not running out any earlier than normal.

slice

TRIBE Member
On .230 my charging icon is sometimes there and sometimes not :)
I'm sure its charging though - its not running out any earlier than normal.
.230 is def buggy on this front. But I still do love this new OS.

I don't think it's charging...the phone usually feels warm when charging and it's pretty cold.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
I think my 8830 is dying. Battery pull is necessary twice a day. It has been good to me but I need it to hold out until Jan/Feb when I am pretty sure work will unload new hardware on us. I'm not buying my own device and I am loathe to use my backup phone: .......................................I don't even want to type what it is it is sooooo horrible.
What version of software are you running? Check out http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/ and try out a different OS. The 8830 is still supported and updated, even though you might not get OS5.

I'd recommend using Desktop Manager to do a backup then install the OS and let it clear everything from the phone. When its all done, selectively restore only your messages, contacts and calendar - you've probably got some bad databases - that phone is 2 years old.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I'm on 4.5. I will try the backup and reinstall.

The hardware available around here is changing drastically in the new year so I really don't want to replace it until then.

slice

TRIBE Member
.230 is def buggy on this front. But I still do love this new OS.

I don't think it's charging...the phone usually feels warm when charging and it's pretty cold.
ok i unplugged and plugged back in.

Now it's saying "USB charging current is not sufficent. Verify that your handheld is connected to a powered USB device.. blah blah.."

wtf!

d.code

TRIBE Member
So after reading around a bit , what is suggested as the best way to update the OS on my storm? Ive heard suggestions of doing the wireless update... or through the desktop management software.

edit: I ran my phone through the desktop manager last night and it said there was an update for my phone. It seemed to then reset every app and piece of software on my storm but if im not mistaking all the versions in the about section are the same as they were before.

Last edited:

T

TRIBE Member
BBM 5.0 officially released.
and it is badass!

even better than the leak, altho they seem to have removed the proximity feature, which i thought was pretty cool.

otherwise, the groups, barcode scanning and everything else is awesome!

you can get it at appworld or by going to blackberry.com/messenger on your phones browser.

also awesome is the new opera beta.. lightning fast on the storm

T

TRIBE Member
For those of you who have stuck with the storm until now, you have been rewarded.

Leaked OS 5.0.0.323 (which many say will be the next official release) is out, and let me tell you, its night and day. This is what the phone should have been like a year ago.

Lightining fast transitions, accelerometer is extremely responsive, memory never goes down under 20 (and thats with almost every app open, I tried it)

Camera is sharp, camcorder is sharp, FLICK SCROLLING across the board..

I was scared of doing the update, but it was super easy.

Here are the steps i followed. (While this was very easy and done with no problems, I cant guarantee it will work for you. Do it at your own risk)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Download the leaked OS

here are two links.
Download 9530AMEA_PBr5_1_.0.0_rel501_PL4.2.0.126_A5.0.0.323.exe from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

or

9530AMEA_PBr5_1_.0.0_rel501_PL4.2.0.126_A5.0.0.323.exe

File name is: 9530AMEA_PBr5_1_.0.0_rel501_PL4.2.0.126_A5.0.0.323.exe and file size is 126 megs.

both are working as of right now.

1. Back up data on Desktop Manager under Back up/restore option. NOTE: If you get an error during this process, clear your browser cache (Browser > Menu Key > options > cache operation > clear all of them)
2. Back up your 3rd party apps. NOTE!! I didnt do this, my apps were automatically backed up during process. I dont think you should either.
3. Disconnect your BB from Desktop Manager
4. Double Click the exe OS you downloaded.
5. Delete vendor.xml file. It’s located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
6. Connect BB to Desktop Manager and it should
7. Click Application Loader
8. Click Update
9. At this point, disconnect your computer from the internet. (that means unplug your modem)
10. Select the OS you would like to load and continue
11. Do not unplug BB during the process. It will take around 20-90 minutes to complete upgrade.

Once you are done, you will have to redo all your icon setups etc.

Last edited:

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Good guide but there are many who think restoring the entire phone backup might notbe a good idea between big version jumps.

Personally - especially if going from a 4.7 to 5.0 version - I would do a backup with Desktop Manager and then wipe the phone using Blackberry Swiss Army Knife before loading the new system software.

When done, use the Desktop Manager advanced mode to selectively restore contacts and calendar but not every option - there are a lot of new features between versions being introduced that do seem to conflict with some older settings. And its worth exploring the new menus a bit.

Especially if coming from 4.7 I don't think you should restore all of your backed up apps because if you don't have the newest version meant for 5.0 you will run into wacky compatibility problems that might not even allow the phone to boot up.

Also, I think you will need the newest version of Desktop Manager 5.0

Last edited:

bitchass

TRIBE Member
I've had 5.0.323 installed since it first came out the other night and it is amazing that they're still able to improve so much over previous versions. The accelerometer is also much better. Still a couple annoying glitches to fix but this is pretty much ready for prime time.