• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Biting midges suck on the Toronto Island

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The Toronto Island is home to lot of stinging and biting insects, and I thought the fire ants and deer flies were pretty brutal until I discovered the horrors of biting midges...

They are tiny, almost transparent, and you can't even really feel them biting you, but the next day you are covered in itchy welts.

I wish there was something I could use to ease the pain from their bites... Afterbite doesn't work very well and I have tried a Japanese cream called Mopiko that contains salycates and menthol which works on mosquito and black fly bites but that doesn't seem to work very well on midge bites either.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I live in Mimico (royal york and lakeshore). This is our first spring in the new place and we discovered Mimico is home to weird swarms of bugs, (bigger then a fruit fly, smaller then a mosquito). Don't find them anywhere else in Toronto, but it seems they are also on Tornto Islands! You gotta keep your mouth closed riding your bike!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I live in Mimico (royal york and lakeshore). This is our first spring in the new place and we discovered Mimico is home to weird swarms of bugs, (bigger then a fruit fly, smaller then a mosquito). Don't find them anywhere else in Toronto, but it seems they are also on Tornto Islands! You gotta keep your mouth closed riding your bike!
Mouth full of bugs. Ewww. Ewww. Ewww!