• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Birthdays - What's the level of Special now?

wickedken

TRIBE Member
So I've been through many birthdays, more than I wish to count. Each is special but I want to hear how special it is for other people. It is as much celebration as before, more, relegated to fit into whatever is current in your life, ...? Do tell.

Stop Bill C-10

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Personally, my thought is birthdays are like assholes. Unless its a milestone, after you're 25 can't people just settle for, I hope your day is swell? Honestly. Are people 4? If you have a family you're close with perhaps a special dinner where someone makes your fave dish and picks up a cupcake from Costco.

I personally find it tiresome to have to go out of my way to spend lots of cheddar going out for elaborate birthday dinners or feeling obligated to go to some retarded location/night/evening that is solely chosen by the birthday boy or girl (for their exclusive enjoyment and suffering for everyone else) because it's their very special day cause they are turning 32! Faccccck. Get over yourself. I feel like people that orchestrate a big deal as adults are attention hogs that wait for it all year like secret sluts and Halloween costumes.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
I don't get this trend to throw your spouse a big 40th birthday party. My brother in laws did this for my sister and it appears to be the expectation amongst my friends as well. People are dropping 3-5k on a 40th b-day bash. I don't get it and never will. People are spending 3-5k on a party which I find crazy.

to each their own I guess, but it puts pressure on the rest of us!

I can think of better things to do with 3-5k then throw a birthday party that's for sure.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Personally, my thought is birthdays are like assholes. Unless its a milestone, after you're 25 can't people just settle for, I hope your day is swell? Honestly. Are people 4? If you have a family you're close with perhaps a special dinner where someone makes your fave dish and picks up a cupcake from Costco.

I personally find it tiresome to have to go out of my way to spend lots of cheddar going out for elaborate birthday dinners or feeling obligated to go to some retarded location/night/evening that is solely chosen by the birthday boy or girl (for their exclusive enjoyment and suffering for everyone else) because it's their very special day cause they are turning 32! Faccccck. Get over yourself. I feel like people that orchestrate a big deal as adults are attention hogs that wait for it all year like secret sluts and Halloween costumes.

Yes to this.

Milestones OK

regular birthdays, nobodygivesafuck.

Hear Hear!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Birthdays are fun, if you are having one and have friends that anually get together with you to enjoy your company then go for it.

anyone one that doesnt want to then dont, you weak as curmudgeony wankers :D

personally it could just be dinner and drinks, it could be a night out listening to dope music, and partying till dawn.

some people like this still, others dont.

but saying that the people that do this are assholes and nobody wants to is garbage.

annually i enjoy a right good bday celebration with friends and family , none of which are forced to be there.

so a big FUCK YOU to people that dont enjoy bdays, your inner child is almost dead.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
so a big FUCK YOU to people that dont enjoy bdays, your inner child is almost dead.

I make it a point to get out of the city every year, go up North, outdoors, lake anywhere. It's my day to reconnect and have fun.

One year I was chained to my desk and it was the most depressing feeling.

I did receive flowers, went out for dinner to La Carnita via Uber, which made me feel special.

I have no idea why anyone wouldn't celebrate their bday, you must really hate your life. lol

Maui

TRIBE Member
I've never been a big celebrator of birthdays since maybe when I was 19 and it was obligatory to puke b4 the night was up.

I don't even give bday wishes on fb anymore. lol.
Birthdays are very narcissistic. I am a humble person and don't feel the need to have special attention laid upon how old I"m getting.

I also don't care to spend my disposable income on going to some crappy resto or club nor on buying useless crap for people. Now of course really close friends are an exception or ones I haven't seen in awhile I will use their birthday as a reason to get together.

New Years Eve is my biggest party night of the year and I use this yearly indicator to celebrate the past and the coming year. Most everyone is out anyway, in good spirits and I find this more up my alley.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
^EXACTLY

I didn't say people that celebrate birthdays are assholes, I said they are LIKE assholes, as in everybody has one.

It's more the obligatory/costly affairs I find so narcissistic. People feel entitled to request it, cause its their birthday. Give me a fucking break. There's nothing (and actually is specuial and great) when your very closest friends and family (the ones you speak to and see regularly) join you for a BBQ in your mom's backyard. That is ok by me. And it's also ok to order pizza with your roommate and because its your birthday you get to pick the toppings.

In summary, No big deal.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

erika

TRIBE Member
A milestone yes, when you're younger and they still matter, with friends who matter. I don't understand the throwing a party for oneself, all the more so in a ridiculous location.

Even milestones, as the numbers get bigger, aren't worth noting other than as a moment to reflect.

Now, if someone wants to throw a party for you with people you like somewhere that you like, why not?

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
I've always felt like my birthday was more for my friends and family to celebrate. Like i feel when it's theirs. A chance to celebrate having that person in your life.

I don't like a lot of attention on my birthday but i like having the people i love most around me. And it is nice to feel like a kid again getting presents. I like my birthday more than Christmas for that stuff.

I can see how some would see it as narcissistic (it can be a fine line depending on how someone acts about it).

But it's a birthday people, who cares if someone wants to celebrate it. :)