1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Bill Gates Convinces 40 Billionaires to Give Away Half Their Fortunes

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by glych t.anomaly, Aug 4, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

amazing

Our favorite charity-worker Bill Gates has successfully signed up 38 billionaires to give away half of their wealth to those less fortunate, in what could be the largest-scale philanthropic work ever.

Together with Warren Buffett, their "The Giving Pledge" project nabbed Larry Ellison (founder of Oracle), George Lucas, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Barry Diller from IAC (an internet media company that owns Ask.com, Bloglines, Vimeo, Match.com and others), along with many others.

While they're not legally bound to give away at least 50 per cent of their wealth to charity, it's more of a trust-promise—particularly now that it's been reported all over the media. They're not expected to give their notes to any one charity, but if every single person on the Forbes 400 richest American list signed up to The Giving Pledge, that would mean charities would be $600 billion better off. Presumably some of those charities will be green-focused, considering Gates' obvious passion in that field.

shit like this makes me really respect and admire the conviction he has, and how he is trying to help the world.

* tips hat to Bill Gates *

unbelievably necessary, and that 38 other billionaires are being equally as benevolent.

[jai]

2. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

I like this. How would he ever spend that shit anyways?

Send some of that cash to Africa and build some schools and hospitals. Maybe even build a hockey rink.

3. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Read about this today, great idea!

Would love to see these guys clear out some countries national debts and help some of the less fortunate!

4. derek

derek TRIBE Member

he's been working this one for a few years, and i'm glad he's getting more billionaires on board.

5. derek

derek TRIBE Member

actually, what african countries really need is for the rest of the world to treat them fairly (economically speaking). charity is a double edged sword in some cases in africa. i realize i'm oversimplifying the issue, but giving them donations is not the most effective resolution.

6. blueshrike

blueshrike TRIBE Member

Icebergs?
    Brewster's Millions - Progressive Boink

7. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Give away everything except 100 grand a year and THEN I'll be impressed.

8. Confused

Confused TRIBE Member

i'm sure Buffett could easily do that

9. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I'm impressed regardless; they don't have to do this, it's not like they need publicity, and they may actually just do it.

Even if they only give away a fraction of what they have, it's a very good thing to do.

Potable water and free access to basic medecine, not to mention literacy/education in some places that still really need it, would be a great way to start.

10. Confused

Confused TRIBE Member

From Dow Jones:

"Chairman Larry Ellison will join movie director George Lucas and 38 other billionaires who are following a call made in June by Warren Buffett and Bill and Melinda Gates to pledge the majority of their wealth to charity.The trio will announce that 40 of America's wealthiest individuals and families, from Microsoft Corp.(MSFT) co-founder Paul G. Allen to hotel mogul Barron Hilton have signed on to the "Giving Pledge," an invitation Buffett and the Gates' extended in June for America's wealthiest families to publicly commit to giving away at least half of their wealth to charity within their lifetimes or after their deaths. The pledge stemmed from a series of dinners the two men held for the nation's billionaires over the past year to discuss the effects of the recession on philanthropy.

"Until now, I have done this giving quietly--because I have long believed that charitable giving is a personal and private matter," wrote Ellison in a public letter on the Giving Pledge's website.

"So why am I going public now? Warren Buffett personally asked me to write this letter because he said I would be 'setting an example' and 'influencing others' to give," Ellison wrote. "I hope he's right."

Other billionaires on the list, including New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens, had previously stated their plans to give away the majority of their wealth to charity but said calling attention to their plans will encourage others to follow suit. "

11. DaPhatConductor

DaPhatConductor TRIBE Promoter

yep.

he's amazing.

:D

12. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

pictured here:
    [​IMG]

13. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

he just wants to get rid of as much of it as he can before he dies and his retard daughters make a complete and utter mockery of the last tattered bit of his family name

14. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

A lot of people seemed to have a problem with Microsoft, kind of like how they hate Starbucks, but there is really no reason. Just cause they are the king.

That is truly awesome what him and others are doing.

Now Steve Jobs on the other hand, I won't hold my breath waiting for him to follow suit. Although I hope I eat those words.

15. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

Are you fucked? How about you earn more than $100,000 a year and then I'll be impressed.

16. glych t.anomaly

i lofl'd out loud at this.

just imagined Steve ' Jesus ' Jobs on conference calls, trying to convince FOXCONN CEO & friends to give money to the needy.

im actually dying.

and this is just after i watched the daily show, where the DOUCHEBAG CUNT FACED FUCKING AMERICAN HOUSE majority Democrats tried to pass a bill requiring a 2/3's approval so that the CLUSTERFUCK REPUBLICANS couldnt use it against them during an election year, so now, the people during 911, the firemen, paramedics, ANYONE that was there to help that is sick from the days of breathing in toxic fumes etc, well they dont get health care support from the federal gov't now.

unfucking believable how fucking pathetic and selfish some people are.

this is why we need more people like ' Gates & Friends ' everywhere, in all walks of life.

[jai]

17. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

first off... it has to be said...

....NERD!!!!!!

now that i got that off my chest....

You obviously know nothing about how microsoft became "the king".

actually Apple has become the most environmentally friendly computer company out there. They're miles ahead of most other "big" companies.

Granted a big reason they do this is because that's what the demographic that purchases their product wants, but that's better than nothing and at least they're looking after their own shit.

And just to confirm FOXCONN isn't Apple. FOXCONN is a separate company that manufactures components for MANY companies, such as Sony, Nokia, Dell, HP.....and OMG CAN YOU BELIEVE IT......Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Gates and friends....i don't want to shit on their parade because it's obviously a great gesture, but i'll still put it in the context that these billionaires have a truly OBSCENE amount of money, and even after giving away half of that money, their lives, standard of living, and material possessions won't change one iota. (not to mention that they figuratively stepped on the faces of thousands of poor people to amass their fortunes).

It is a nice start. But real change will only happen once corporate culture takes a backseat to human culture. (i just made that up!)

18. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

I understand what your saying with all the gorilla warfare, diamond trade and so on, but if you give the people Education and Health care it would make a world of a difference for those people. I really don't see how setting up schools and hospitals would be the wrong side of the sword.

19. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Sure I do, but please enlighten me.

20. glych t.anomaly

no you are.

:p

lofl. they did it by pissing off Apple & Steve Jobs, now Jobs & Friends is coming back to haunt them

I said help the ' NEEDY '.

and Bill Gates is imploring others, his peers and buisness people to contribute, so how is that not like Steve Jobs asking the CEO of FOXCONN to contribute, oh wait, thats why i made it a joke about it being laughable.

hooray for Apple and its green initiative to make sure they same demographic ( 90 % would buy a ' ibrick ' just cuz Apple told them to ) is buying up there shit.

that doesnt equate to them HELPING people in need around the world, and not only that, they STILL have their products made by a Chinese Company that rather than FIX its human rights violations and suicidal work force, they CLOSED DOWN A FACTORY that 400000 worked at.

so please, go suck Jobs & Friends off in another thread, so we can talk about people actually doing good for the world.

and those people with all those Billions, IF, and i mean IF, they give half their fortunes to this cause, that is FUCKING AMAZING.

WHO GIVES A FUCK if they have that much left, im sure they will continue to still help people in need, in the years to come.

i will end this rant with a big
    'sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss'

good day sir.

[jai]

21. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

This is a metric fucktonne of money. How are they going to distribute it?

22. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

[​IMG]

23. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

Embrace, extend and extinguish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so why exactly is this the responsibility of Steve Jobs?

Why doesn't Bill Gates do it? Why doesn't he call up his boy Ballmer to tell Foxconn to contribute or Microsoft will pull the Xbox 360 contract from them?

No doubt, Foxconn isn't exactly a benevolent company. (Hell, any company that has an Android R&D department is probably downright evil, right?). But again i ask, why is this Steve Jobs sole responsibility? Why not HP's CEO? Or Sony's? Or Nokia's? Or Microsoft? (did i mention that Microsoft uses Foxconn?)

LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOOLOLLOLOLOLLOLOOLLLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOL

The whole Foxconn thing that's obviously given you a massive misguided hard on is simply a symptom of the REAL problem with the corporate system.

A worldwide pyramid scam that siphons 95% of the worlds wealth to an exclusive 1% club. Want to know some of the members? Look at the Bill Gates philanthropic billionaire club for a few names.

A while back some dirty hippie with a beard said :

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God"

(although i really want to give a pass to George Lucas. However the prequels were the work of Satan, so he's going to hell. Ahh fuck....who am i kidding... i love that silver haired chipmunk!!)

Just to clarify, IF Bill Gates gave half his fortune away TOMORROW, he'd STILL have FOUR TIMES as much money as Steve Jobs.

WHAT A FUCKING GREAT HUMANITARIAN THAT BILL GATES IS, AND WHAT A FUCKING ASSHOLE STEVE JOBS IS!!!!!

Helping people is relative. It's hard to argue with giving away billions to charity if you look at that in isolation.

BUT if these billionaires AMASS their fortune through the exploitation of the poor while squeezing out the middle class then they're not REALLY "helping" are they?

It's an elaborate shell game where they give $500 million with a smile for the camera, while they pocket 5 billion behind their back.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  24. glych t.anomaly

its not his responsibility, neither is it Bill Gates, thats the whole point.:rolleyes:

Bill Gates earned his money, and if you think that its just some grand gesture on his part, to ' repent for past sins against humanity ' then you are fucked.

Yes some of the people on the roster may have amassed their fortunes through means we view as contemptible, but they ' are giving back ' and you have to start somewhere, or as Bill Gates is doing, get the money from somewhere to do some level of good.

wow is all i can say to this statement.

Maui said that they didnt see ' Steve Jobs ' exhibiting, or even having the same desire to do the same things as Bill Gates, and i wholeheartedly agree, Steve is basically finally achieving now, what Gates did over a decade ago.

And so by the time hes done doing what hes doing, and possibly becomes inclined to Humanitarian inclinations similar to Bill Gates, well good ol Billy Boy will have been at it for 20 + years, and i dont think Steve will have an App that will help him catch up.

regardless of all the above nonsense, good for Apple, and good for their green initiative that helps the world in a different way, but to imply that the positive impact that Bill Gates has had with the Gates Foundation, and his intentions world wide, through so many means, to judge how hes doing it i.e. getting money from people that may have made it in a undesirable means and affected them in a negative manner, is pretty fucking sad.

rather than appreciate what hes doing, you would rather get hung up on trivial nuances rather than see the potential good that could come of this.

[jai]

25. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

Why should he?
    He earned his money just like you or I. Gates earned his money by providing a product that, now, a good portion of thr world uses.

I'm impressed they all give any of it away. Hell, I'm impressed when people put a nickel into the salvation army bucket at Christmas.