• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Bilingual

EltrikSoulCntlr

TRIBE Member
Maybe this should be in the jobs forum but,
Has anybody been hired for a job which was advertised as bilingual but you only speak English?I often see bilingual job openings advertised & I am hesitant to apply to these positions because I only speak english and really don't want to waste their or my time....
Altho it has been suggested to me that what the company may be looking for is the " ideal person" but they may be willing to hire somebody who is not bilingual but does have the other required qualifications. I would expect that any government job it would be a requirement.
Any suggestions?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Go for it, and if they call you on it just say you thought “bilingual” meant something else.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
If you send your resume for a bilingual position and you aren't. God will strike you down with the wrath of every ex girlfriend you've ever had.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
The Watcher said:
God will strike you down with the wrath of every ex girlfriend you've ever had.

Jesus christ death really would be easier, just the last two would be deadly if they actually worked together

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
EltrikSoulCntlr said:
Why is this funny?

:confused:
Because if you don't speak the language, but you get the job and you are expected to speak to clients in French, the mental picture of you being fired is funny.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
What you do is show up for your job and talk with a crappy quebecois accent. When they ask you say that you want to prove you english ability so you'd much rather do the interview in english. When you do the interview improve your english quickly until there is almost no bad quebecois accent. The interviewer will be lead to believe that your english is good but will never question your french because obviously its your first language.

(can't tell I lived in Ottawa...)

EltrikSoulCntlr

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
So what does it say about the company then? Do you really want to work there?
Yes! Since it clearly indicates that the present employees are useless! I should be in line to get a promotion pretty fast. :D

m0ff

TRIBE Member
The Watcher said:
If you send your resume for a bilingual position and you aren't. God will strike you down with the wrath of every ex girlfriend you've ever had.
If it's a job with the federal government they'll test you on it, and in the process make you feel like a fucking sped...the tests are hard, I'm bilingual, and I walked out of there feeling totally dejected, and wondering why the hell my ass was sore.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i am bilingual and for (pretty much) every single job, i have had to show that i can speak french during the interview process.
usually if the HR person is anglophone, they will ask me to speak with one of the francophone employees to show that i can converse in french.
also, if you are being interviewed for a bilingual position, its likely because they have plenty of english speaking employees already and need to fill a specific need for a french speaking employee.
point of the story: don't do it. you will quickly be revealed as a fraud and not hired.

EltrikSoulCntlr

TRIBE Member
Well I was thinking that perhaps there could be some openings that may not require one to be bilingual but are advertised in that way because that would be "the ideal" I wouldn't try to pass myself off as bilingual when I'm not. Unless...."Uh ya sure I speak swaheli..." Not much chance of that.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
no, they say stuff like "should possess 3 to 5 years experience handling blahblahblah" in order to get an ideal candidate.
they only say bilingual if they want a bilingual employee.

rizzlah

TRIBE Member
go for it. tell them you are willing to learn, i have been hired before where the "ideal candidate" is bilingual and i don't speak much french other than avec, sans, oui and champaignons.

if they really like you, they will hire you and hopefully pay for your french lessons.

:)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories