1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Bike Nerds To Create a Low Cost Bike Sharing System For New York

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by glych t.anomaly, Aug 11, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Bike Nerds To Create a Low Cost Bike Sharing System For New York

[​IMG]

A group of charming fellows have created something they’re calling “Social Bicycles,” a bike-sharing system that allows you to drop bikes off almost anywhere there is a bike rack, locate them, and access them with an iPhone app. And it’s all outside of the confines of traditional urban bike-sharing systems.

While we all know that humans are intrinsically violent and destructive, the lads at Sobi are betting that at least some of them won’t destroy the bikes they borrow. The system uses a lock fastened to the bike’s wheel with a GPS system and transmitter built-in. When the bike is locked, it appears on the SoBi app and when you check it out you’re responsible for it.

read more here.

pretty sweet idea, it would be cool to see something like this start up in toronto.

[jai]

2. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

in Toronto, all those bikes would have their front tires stolen, no ?

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

To heck with that I'd be stealing the electronics

4. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

Bixi is coming Not as hi-tech but progress none the less

has anyone see where the racks are?

5. gl*tch

gl*tch TRIBE Member

it's really too bad about all the thieving assholes.

6. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

had my POS bike stolen from my front porch 2 days after i moved to Hamilton...bike lock was around seat post, but i couldn't remember where i put the keys.
    posted this on the mailbox in front of my house.
    [​IMG]
    within days, a nice lady from 1 street down talked to me, and gave me a mens Norco front suspension bike, much nicer than the one i had.

7. gl*tch

gl*tch TRIBE Member

LOL awesome stuff

8. glych t.anomaly

interesting, thanks for the link.

yeah it really is.

if they looked as nice as that one, yes probably for sure, unless they use special hardware that requires specific tools to remove it, but i believe that would take away from the ' cheap ' aspect of it.

and people say Karma doesnt exist.

[jai]

9. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Yeah, Toronto had an international award winning bike share program with the yellow bikes years ago, but the city wouldn't come up with 85 grand to fund them and it died. They dont' seem to have any problem giving out loans for millions of dollars for corporate entities though.

10. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

Whatever Toronto does will undoubtably be expensive and overly complicated. Yearly membership plus fees on top of that per ride over half hour = lame. I wish T.O. had an awesome bike culture like Amsterdam.

11. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

yeah, BIXI has been set up in Montreal since a couple years. And by all accounts, it's been a huge success.
    It the best way. I believe the city has even designated more bike paths to accommodate them.

fuck you, cars

12. cosmiK-Cat

cosmiK-Cat TRIBE Member

Wondered what happened to that program.
    Yes, Toronto loves big biz and it shows.

13. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

why limit this to an iphone app? Gawd I hate the all consuming i-culture

14. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

That's awesome. I hope you lock your bike up properly from now on, or move it inside, behind a locked door. Bike theft is rampant and most people I know who've had a bike stolen did not have it locked when it happened, or did not have it locked securely.

Word.

15. glych t.anomaly

im hoping once it catches on, that they development towards other platforms would then become something viable.

[jai]