• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

BIGGIE AND TUPAC - Documentary on CBC

organik

TRIBE Member
BIGGIE AND TUPAC

Monday February 2 at 10PM ET/PT on THE PASSIONATE EYE
Repeating Friday February 6 at 10PM ET on THE PASSIONATE EYE

"One of the gutsier documentaries in memory." - The LA Weekly

Biggie and Tupac uncovers astonishing details about the mysterious and unresolved murders of rap stars Tupac Shakur and Christopher Wallace (a.k.a. Biggie Smalls, The Notorious B.I.G.), as an in-depth investigation brings to light the possibility of police cover-ups and corruption, making the lack of official detective work on these cases all the more shocking.

In Biggie and Tupac, award-winning British director Nick Broomfield (Aileen: the Life and Death of a Serial Killer; The Leader, the Driver and the Driver's Wife) boldly ventures into a series of confrontational, and potentially dangerous situations to expose the truth behind the murders, and the conflict-ridden music industry. (see Meet the Directors for an interview)

To get to the heart of the alleged feud between Biggie and Tupac, Broomfield interviews family and friends-including Biggie's charismatic mother, who doggedly campaigns to bring her son's killer to justice. She helps Broomfield access Biggie's former bodyguard, who witnessed the shooting and who, in a captivating moment in the film, identifies the alleged killer. The documentary also introduces Russell Poole, an ex-cop with damning evidence suggesting the LAPD deliberately fumbled the case to conceal connections between the police, L.A. gangs and Death Row Records-the label run by feared entrepreneur rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight. Broomfield explores the theory that Biggie and Tupac were both murdered at the behest of Knight. To back up this incendiary claim, Broomfield boldly confronts Knight in the prison where he was incarcerated.

Last spring, Nick Broomfield was honoured at Hot Docs with an Outstanding Achievement Award, and a retrospective screening of his films-many of which have premiered on THE PASSIONATE EYE on CBC Newsworld.

Biggie and Tupac is directed by Nick Broomfield (who also acts as his own soundman and interviewer), and produced by Michele D'Acosta for Lafayette Films. Catherine Olsen is executive producer of CBC Newsworld Documentaries.

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/cinemareal/biggieandtupac.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just finished watching it, and I was very impressed... I've seen a few documentaries on this subject but none of them where this indepth in figuring out who was behind the killings of Tupac and Biggie.

I highly recommend watching this!

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Muad'ib
Caught most of it. It is much more engaging than most Tupac/Biggie docs. I quite liked it.
the journalist is no slouch...did kurt and courtney and the aillen wuernos documentary(monster)...he risks himself everytime he finds out a juicy tip on the subject at hand

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

HMHA

TRIBE Member
i saw this back in 2002 at bloor cinema (where the hell is my date now?). nick broomfield was there to answer questions and discuss the movie. i personally thought he was a slimball, but he did a great job of investigative journalism. he implicated the LAPD, the FBI, and more obviously suge knight.

only a foreign journalist could point so many fingers without getting into too much trouble.

all in all, it was a good documentary. poor christopher wallace was caught in the cross fire. at least that's the picture that was painted.

organik

TRIBE Member
you know whats messed up is that there is so much evidence and confessions in the film that you would think that someone would be charged for the crimes committed against both Tupac and Biggie... but not so!

where's the justice???

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by organik
you know whats messed up is that there is so much evidence and confessions in the film that you would think that someone would be charged for the crimes committed against both Tupac and Biggie... but not so!

where's the justice???
well, it's one thing to lay dwon heavy charges but it's another thing entirely to even QUESTION said individuals...that's nuts!! :(