• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Big 514 party in Montreal @ Bell Centre

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
WOW.

After a speedy drive up to montreal with myself, Jay (JRev) and Laura "i love massages" Madnezz... we were greeted with a party that was done up proper. Right when we walked into the Bell Centre (where the montreal canadiens play!) you knew they had spent the money on the event. Searches were very fast, coatcheck had sooo many people working it -- we were basically in the party within 10-15 min of getting to the front door. WOW

Walking in through the upper level your looking down at the party from the seating and it was pretty wild -- got my stomach churning with the anticipation of what was going to happen --- you just saw thousands of people on the main floor already goin off to Felix the housecat's grooves.

Looking around there were 5 huge Projection screens hanging from the ceiling so no matter where you were (sitting in the seats or causin trouble anywhere on the dance floor) you had a perfect view of what the DJ was up to....

On the main floor there was a vip area, elevated in the back.... 2 slightly raised dancing stages on either side of the floor.. then of course the elevated dj booth.

I found the sound was FAR better than what I had expected for an arena of this size --- the bass was POUNDING and they had 4 rows of hanging mid's & highs (2 on either side of the arena) providing ample sound. One bad mark on this was there seemed to be a problem with the delays for the speakers in the back near the vip area... was a constant trainwreck over there so we just stayed away from it. It was like that from the beginning to the end of the night but somehow people still partied in that area??

Lights were not overdone and not under.... a nice laser setup and some fiercly hot pyro that thankfully was not abused.....

As I looked around at the 7-10 thousand partiers around me I realized how odd it is how people used to travel to toronto for these types of parties.. and now here I was travelling from toronto for it. ironic i guess?

The DJ's:

11-1am --- Felix the Housecat --- enjoyed the beats right from when i walked in the door... a bit of an electro tip at times... brought things down for the countdown and then let her rip again.. the party was on :) -- mixing was VERY rough on a few mixes.. *cringe* *shrug* *dance*

1-3 -- a local.. sorry i wasn't payin attention.. it was 'mission' time for us.... :)

3-5 -- Roy Davis Jr... played some nice beats as well.. mixing was on from what I recall however he really brought the tempo of the party down towards the end of his set... did he forget this party was going till noon???? enjoyed it till it started droppin to a turtles pace.

5-7 -- Joubin (local) -- continued where RDJ left off... a bit more lively tracks.. but the montreal crowd was lookin for some tuff beats... the groove was nice.. but no one was ready to slowdown yet.

7-9am -- DJ RAP --- ahhhh my favourite part...... as we stand there and contemplate our possible early departure from the party... we had failed to notice RAP was steppin up to the decks... all of a sudden the track playin drops out... theres like an ev0l sounding voice.. and then a menacing beat! WHATS THIS... the party WAS ON AGAIN!! :) It was as if she had stoood back for hte past hour looking out and seeing what we wanted.. and dropped all the crowd pleasers we could ask for... her set was relentless and I couldn't believe the hard groove that was bein played at 7...8...9 in the morning... I had no idea what to expect from RAP..i'd heard she was a DnB dj... but she layed down the hard house.... proper. p.s. shes fawkin hot, to boot!

so just after 9 we decide to call it a morning... grabbed our jackets from coatcheck (which took less than 2 minutes!) and walked out into the brisk montreal air....

Happy new years :D

THANK YOU 514 for knowin how to throw a party...

(sorry about the novel.. i felt like writing)

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
514 have always been the best parties. Those guys throw down so proper. Great review dude... glad you enjoyed yourself.

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
i remember when i went to 514's NYE '99 party they sandwiched a local (lafleche) in between the headliners (jeff mills, richie hawtin, john acquaviva) and it was a total downer. the rest of the party was great, but it was a curious decision by the promoters..

but the sound - OMG!!!! never have i heard so loud and clear EVER.

CP89

TRIBE Member
^^^^^ lafleche a "total downer" ????? not quite.

10,000 people losing it to lafleche's killer beats is pretty good proof he wasn't a "total downer". Lafleche "owns" Montreal.
Based on his set times at most Montreal parties, local promoters don't treat him as a "local". He's always spins "prime time" 'cause
he deserves it.

I was there. He rocked.

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
haha - well i can respect your opinion, but it was hard to follow the energy and excitement of mills and hawtin starting the party off, instead of them playing in prime time.

a chacon son gout.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Celebration 99

Wasn't it mills then hawtin, then hawtin & aquaviva back to back?

That was an Ill party. Stripper's from 'frisco, and the Beachbaby. Legendary action.

Last edited:

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I'll agree with that schedule, add to it Rich & John played back to back for the most part of John's set time. Lafleche was not the auditory highlight of the night on that evening, hearing Prince in that evironment was...

Bean

TRIBE Member
dave: your experience reads like the one i had for celebration 99 (also by 514) a few years back: very organized, lots of energy, and the party continuing late into the morning ...

tommy: i have no memory of la fleche coming on after hawtin. i just recall it going mills - hawtpantz - aquaviva for some reason!

:)

peace,

sabina

Cho

TRIBE Member
SWIRL 2001 is all I have to say about 514 productions. The party that got cancelled in the morning and never got off even at an alternate location. According to this Hells Angels company, Richie Hawtin was to be playing at the Big O along side enuff other talent. Tickets around $65.
Thanks for the refund 514 were still waiting for it.

Proper!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Nesta

TRIBE Member
was that the party with richie hawtin, marco carola, laurent garnier, etc... ?

what a killer party that would have been.

cream 2000 was the best 514 event i've ever been to.

huggs946

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cho
SWIRL 2001 is all I have to say about 514 productions. The party that got cancelled in the morning and never got off even at an alternate location. According to this Hells Angels company, Richie Hawtin was to be playing at the Big O along side enuff other talent. Tickets around $65.

Proper!
That non-party WRECKED 514....they've NEVER been the same since.

If you people really want to get a dose of that good ole MTL love and felling, go to STEREO

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
I went to a 514 party in 99 that was in a huge volleyball gym at the University of Montreal campus. Paul VanDyk was supposed to headline but his wife had been in a car accident in Europe so Max Graham played a wicked 3 hour set.

On the Lafleche tip he and Sneak went back to back and were boring as shit, but Tiga played and absolutely owned that night.

But the music came second to the decor. They had 4 huge 20 speaker blocks suspended from the ceiling, they had a moving hydraulic sphere-shaped lighting rig that moved in all directions over the floor and they had a waterfall in front of the stage that rained into a blowup pool. That was the sickest visual experience I have ever witnessed at a party. Not to mention there were like 15 000 people there, and some of the hottest women on the face of the earth. I had an amazing weekend there that I will never forget.

sohaness

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Nesta
was that the party with richie hawtin, marco carola, laurent garnier, etc... ?

what a killer party that would have been.

cream 2000 was the best 514 event i've ever been to.
yup i remember laurent garnier being on the list...i think he spun an 8hr set @ sona that weekend (because of the swirl cancellation).

steve.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

UR

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JEMZ
I went to a 514 party in 99 that was in a huge volleyball gym at the University of Montreal campus. Paul VanDyk was supposed to headline but his wife had been in a car accident in Europe so Max Graham played a wicked 3 hour set.

On the Lafleche tip he and Sneak went back to back and were boring as shit, but Tiga played and absolutely owned that night.

But the music came second to the decor. They had 4 huge 20 speaker blocks suspended from the ceiling, they had a moving hydraulic sphere-shaped lighting rig that moved in all directions over the floor and they had a waterfall in front of the stage that rained into a blowup pool. That was the sickest visual experience I have ever witnessed at a party. Not to mention there were like 15 000 people there, and some of the hottest women on the face of the earth. I had an amazing weekend there that I will never forget.
Ya, I was at that one too!
Luke Slater was also on the bill.

And a killer hip hop arena with Kid Capri.

pricey
UR

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
it's all about connected 2000

Carl Cox
Trevor Rockcliffe
Mistress Barbara
Tiga
Ed Rush and Optical

and I can't even remember who else... most incredible event ever.

case sensitive

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cho

Proper!
Maybe they should pay you back after all this time........imagine hte intere$t!

matt