• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Beyond Meat - Who's tasted this?

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
I love the burger and the sausage. A&W does a great job art both.

I bought the Beyond Meat burger at Summerhill Market and brought it home to try it. It's different than the A&W one but I still really like it. It's almost meatier and looks slightly different.

All in all, totally worth a try!!

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
I'll give it a try. My understanding from reading a few articles is that it tastes like a mediocre beef burger when in a bun with fixins (not so much on its own), has comparable calories (more calories than a lean burger), comparable fat, generally more sodium, zero cholesterol, and negligible fibre and other vege-qualities given that it's heavily processed.

I will buy a pack for our first summer family bbq, as my niece is vegetarian. I will probably throw some bacon on it.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I'll give it a try. My understanding from reading a few articles is that it tastes like a mediocre beef burger when in a bun with fixins (not so much on its own), has comparable calories (more calories than a lean burger), comparable fat, generally more sodium, zero cholesterol, and negligible fibre and other vege-qualities given that it's heavily processed.

I will buy a pack for our first summer family bbq, as my niece is vegetarian. I will probably throw some bacon on it.
My ex Ashley gave me a great recipe for a veg burger that contains chick peas, grated carrot, and other things that when mixed, formed into a patty, and grilled really does taste like a beef burger. Easy to make. I will see if I can find the recipe.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I just listened to a podcast about these meat substitutes, and apparently it is one particular chemical the generates the meat taste when you cook this stuff. You can add it to anything and it will taste like meat. Those options are endless, if you think about it.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I just listened to a podcast about these meat substitutes, and apparently it is one particular chemical the generates the meat taste when you cook this stuff. You can add it to anything and it will taste like meat. Those options are endless, if you think about it.
Yeah apparently this stuff "bleeds". And apparently it's our future.

Most 'meat' in 2040 will not come from dead animals, says report
Consultants say 60% will be grown in vats or plant-based products that taste like meat

Most 'meat' in 2040 will not come from dead animals, says report

praktik

TRIBE Member
Oh sorry, Mom's Across America, even worse than EWG but same shit different pile, they commissioned and popularized a "study" on Roundup being found in ppb In these burgers - nothing to worry about

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Oh sorry, Mom's Across America, even worse than EWG but same shit different pile, they commissioned and popularized a "study" on Roundup being found in ppb In these burgers - nothing to worry about
I take it you think this is bunk? Most people don't even think about this and assume hamburger meat is ground up various bits of various animals anyways, and you can't know unless you do it yourself, and accept that some part of this creation process is unknown albeit certified by some sort of authority, hopefully. I'd definitely prefer the non-Roundup hamburger though.