1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Beware of child crossing road.. or not.

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by NemIsis, Sep 10, 2010.

1. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Canada 3D Road Safety: Speed bump of girl crossing road 'appears' before drivers | Mail Online

It sounds like a terrifying experience that would make even the most seasoned of drivers panic or even crash.

But a school in Canada is using a bizarre 3D optical illusion of a young girl crossing the road to try and make drivers slow down.

The image of a girl chasing after a ball is painted on the road and elongated to make it appear three-dimensional when seen from an approaching car.
    The image of a girl rears up out of the road to alert drivers to their speed.

Critics say that the child’s image could surprise drivers so much that they will slam on the brakes or even swerve off the road if they do not realise the girl is just an illusion.

At a distance it just looks like a marking on the road but when the car is 30 metres away it appears to suddenly rise up from the road.
    When the driver is closer than 30 metres the image appears to sink back into the road.

If a car is travelling at the speed limit for the road, 30km/h, then he should be able to stop in time before he reaches the image.
    Safety experts say the alarming image is designed to teach drivers to always be prepared for the unexpected.

The illusion is to be placed on the road outside École Pauline Johnson Elementary School in West Vancouver in Canada and will be accompanied by a sign which reads: ‘You’re probably not expecting kids to run into the road.’
    Council bosses in the area say that the illusion will encourage drivers to drive defensively, as though a child could run out into the road at any moment.

Wonder how long it takes before people start speeding towards the image for fun.

2. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

Sounds like a horrible idea, but I guess it depends on how real and sudden the illusion appears.

One of my closest friends is just learning to drive @ 30, and she's easily startled/flustered/perplexed @ times.

Throwing something like this @ her, or other drivers that are timid is going to cause problems, and likely lawsuits against whoever is responsible for the initiative if something happens.

I can just see the headlines now.."elderly driver plows into sidewalk full of kids".

3. Isosceles_CAT

Isosceles_CAT TRIBE Promoter

...Yet another elderly driver plows into sidewalk full of kids. In a completely unrelated story, controversy brews over a bizarre 3D optical illusion of a young girl crossing the road.

4. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

eeyyuuuutt.

[jai]

5. DaPhatConductor

DaPhatConductor TRIBE Promoter

it'll work the first time people see it, but then later they'll basically be trained NOT to stop for children in the road.

plus: how realistic is that image going to look after 6 million cars drive over it.

bad idea.

6. derek

derek TRIBE Member

^^^

kind of like the sign the had merging onto the 401 eastbound from the dvp where it would flash a message you were going too fast, people would purposely try to trigger it. it's no longer there.

7. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Derek, that's exactly what I was thinking of. That and the Humber hump on Gardiner before they fixed it. Idiots would speed up and fly over it.

I got some good air there ;)

8. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

this sounds more dangerous than helpful.

see image-slam on brakes-car behind rear ends you.

drive by there all the time-become immune to image-real girl runs out on road after ball and you ignore it thinking its a hologram-splat.

should have spent the money making crosswalks that are actually noticeable, instead of these stupid ones that you drive right thru without even noticing they are there.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  9. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

fuck all that. What they need is those police academy gangster cardboard cut outs which pop up all over the road. But in this case its kids, holding guns.

hilarity ensues.

10. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

yeah. that's pretty much it really.

One day, GPS and school zones, speed limits even, will be tied into your car automatically, throttling your max speed.

I could see that happening.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  11. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

I miss the Humber Hump. :(

12. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

I too have fond memories of a girl that lived in their dorms.