• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Bestival Toronto

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Bestival, a UK music festival with a "summer of love" meets renaissance fair vibe, has announced its moving over the Atlantic and embracing Toronto's already bulging music festival market June 12-13, one weekend after Field Trip returns to Fork York, one week before NXNE, and just over a month before Bonnaroo's offspring WayHome Festival launches its first year near Barrie. This is just getting ridiculous.

The line up for the Isle of Wight Festival's Toronto version is TBA, but the UK installation's September line up includes some interesting stuff amid the regular fare, from The Chemical Brothers to Dean Blunt. The festival told the New York Times they'll be building a temporary space on the island to hold up to 20,000 people daily.

Last year NXNE had a successful time running their own boats to and from Vice Island, and while All Caps is gone, Electric Island throws regular summer parties across the water - but this will be the largest event on Toronto Islands since Virgin Festival.

Tickets to the four day UK Fest aren't cheap (200 British pounds is nearly 400 Canadian dollars), but we'll have to wait and see how much gouging the promoters think they can get out of already festival saturated (see 2014's stacked summer) Ontario fans.

[YOUTUBE]incNcpVo3LM[/YOUTUBE]

Stop Bill C-10
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Chemical Brothers won't be coming...they're playing a festival in Poland on the 12th.
UW are a possibility, maybe doing the Dubno album thing.( Rob Da Bank's tight with them too , and they're in LA on the 21st ).
Leftfield ? ( new material coming ).
Basement Jaxx live ?
Prodigy ?

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Amongst the crowded UK festival schedule, Bestival has consistently been one of the best because it sets itself apart from the others.

While it certainly would be nice to have a headliner or two of the Underworld/Chemical Brothers/Prodigy stature, I don't think it'll be a disappointment if their isn't. Though I would certainly welcome Bassment Jaxx/Groove Armada/etc!

I was excited with the Bonnaroo/Wayhome festival announcement and lineup, but I'm over the top with this Bestival announcement. Can't wait!

Primavera

TRIBE Member
Embrace is the local promoter for it.

Hope they don't fuck this up and make it just another EDM fest du jour.

Somehow I think maybe the legacy electronic acts like Prodigy, Underworld, etc are a pipedream.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
a few of my friends have been to bestival in the uk and said it was amazing. fucking dressing up box, wut? i'm curious to see the lineup - i am always pretty underwhelmed by most north american festival lineups, so fingers crossed. also, hopefully ticket prices aren't ridiculous. i'm intrigued and cautiously optimistic. ;)

The Truth

TRIBE Member
I'm placing a bet on Bjork being a headliner as she is playing the Governor's Ball Festival in NYC the week before..

I'm optimistic about the whole thing, but worried about the usual "Toronto Festival" problems like:

-early curfews
-sound limits
-long queues
-poor selection/expensive food & drinks
-aggressive security
-lame crowds

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Florence + the machine / nas

flume / caribou / sbtrkt (dj) / flosstradamus / jamie jones / robin schulz / zhu / clean bandit / wavves / jamie xx / rudimental (dj)/ owen pallett / keys n krates / born ruffians / omar souleyman / grandtheft / cashmere cat / bakermat / justin martin / dusky / skream / robert delong / dj tennis / cassy / shamir / lane 8 / nathan barato / matoma / museum of love / hunter seigel / shaun frank / kill them with colours / humans / tops / tei shi / whilk & misky / river tiber / harrison / coleman hell & more

meh

tobywan

TRIBE Member
leaked lineup?

Lqha51T.jpg

Primavera

TRIBE Member
Going to try for pre-sale tickets tomorrow.

The lineup isnt great. But it's good enough for me. I like Nas, Flume, Owen Pallett, Skream, etc and I'm curious to hear new acts and new music that I haven't heard before.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
I was considering going if i could get early birds, but seeing as they are sold out, it's a no go. The lineup isn't exciting enough for me to shell out $160+ after service fees and what not. I'm disappointed in the lineup, but also not surprised!

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
While I personally think its the best lineup released for any Toronto area festival thus far, I'm curious to know if there will be 1 day tickets available at some point? I'm surprised they are doing the event on the Friday and Saturday to begin instead of Saturday/Sunday.

edit: just found out Nas is on the Friday instead of Saturday, further reducing my interest in even a 1 day ticket, if they did end up offering them.

Last edited:

Primavera

TRIBE Member
Yeah the whole Friday / Sat thing rather than Sat / Sun is a bit of a pain in the ass.

I just took a vacation day from work for the Friday.