• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Best smart phones currently in the market

AdamAnt

TRIBE Member
Hey guys

It's been another stretch since I've peeked in here and I wanted to reach out to you to see if you could recommend the best smart phone currently on the market. My BlackBerry torch is on life support and I don't think I can wait for a new release.

So what's currently available that you would recommend? I would prefer to stay away from the iPhone so I'm thinking Android but would hear arguments to stick with BlackBerry.

Thanks in advance!

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
It really depends on your needs/activities. There are far more superior apps on the Android platform vs Blackberry. Do you want to watch streaming media on your phone? Do you use google maps as a necessity? Things like that.

AdamAnt

TRIBE Member
Good questions!

I will be using it partly for my small business though I don't send an inordinate amount of emails. I prefer the touch screen keyboards that feel like you're touching the buttons (not sure of the technical term).

*watch video files that I load on myself.
*Surf the web
*Games
*Google Maps

There are probably a lot of other things I would do with my phone if I had a good phone capable of many things.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I am also in market for new phone but gonna wait til next flagships come from HTC/Samsung - see how that shakes out

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

AdamAnt

TRIBE Member
I am also in market for new phone but gonna wait til next flagships come from HTC/Samsung - see how that shakes out
Yeah the Galaxy S4 is apparently coming out end of April but I don't think my torch will make it that long.

I am considering the LG Nexus 4 if anybody has any input on that.

Karim

TRIBE Member
How technical are you?

If you're the kind of guy that likes to figure out and use every feature of whatever electronics you own, then go for the android, you'll get a lot out of it.

But if you are an average user, you'll do more with an iPhone than you would with an android as the user interface elements are more consistent and catered towards normal users.

AdamAnt

TRIBE Member
How technical are you?

If you're the kind of guy that likes to figure out and use every feature of whatever electronics you own, then go for the android, you'll get a lot out of it.

But if you are an average user, you'll do more with an iPhone than you would with an android as the user interface elements are more consistent and catered towards normal users.
Not overly technical but I have an iPad2 and I decidedly do not want an iPhone.

I have considered the Z10 but I've been with BlackBerry for two phones in a row (8830 World Edition & 9800 Torch) and I feel like it is time for a change. The amount of apps available for the Z10 is comparatively slim and I feel like developers are not focusing on BlackBerry much.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Yeah the Galaxy S4 is apparently coming out end of April but I don't think my torch will make it that long.

I am considering the LG Nexus 4 if anybody has any input on that.
Here is a good articls from an Iphone fan and App developer on switching to Android and never looking back. I refer to it as the device that sold him is the LF nexus 4.

An iPhone Lover

g0nz0

TRIBE Member
I can/do recommend the Google Nexus 4

When moving away from a BB to any smartphone, expect that the battery life of 2-3 days is no longer possible. Push email BB environment is significantly different than Android pull. There are many ways to reduce battery consumption, but I have come to the realization that in order to continually get all my emails the same time I got them with my BB i kept the radio on and battery consumption is what it is. Get a QI wireless charging station for your house and battery use doesn't really matter.

*edit* <3 my nexus4

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Buy the LG Nexus 4

i would get it over the samsung for the below reasons.

- Stock OS updates with each new release, no waiting.
- Hardware wise its pretty much comparable to the Galaxy S3

and IMO stock OS and updates > touchwhiz and delayed OS updates.

i still have my Galaxy S2 and while its a solid phone, i root and install custom roms, i would not have to do that with the LG Nexus, as i find the Stock OS experience to be the nicest IMO.

AdamAnt

TRIBE Member
Here is a good articls from an Iphone fan and App developer on switching to Android and never looking back. I refer to it as the device that sold him is the LF nexus 4.

An iPhone Lover
EXCELLENT article - thank you! I think I've made my choice!

Thanks to everybody that replied. I've been out of touch with the non BlackBerry phones and living in my BB bubble for years.

rawd

TRIBE Member
That article is confusing. He claims to be not your average smartphone user, but doesn't mention about JB'ing to customize iOS and his apps. High five

lobo

TRIBE Member
Another vote for the Nexus 4 phone.

I just got mine this week and love everything about it with the one small exception of battery life. All reviews seems to point out that the battery life could be a tad better and I've noticed this too. If you play around with the phone a lot you'll suck it dry. If you leave it at your side and use it sparingly (like I did today) you'll see battery life to be pretty decent. I'm at 58% right now from a full charge at 6:00AM.

For the price of this phone, you get one of the best Android products out there, a world unlocked phone plus stock Android which gives you the latest updates first.

Lobo

P.S. I'll be selling my iPhone4 soon just in case. :p

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
That article is confusing. He claims to be not your average smartphone user, but doesn't mention about JB'ing to customize iOS and his apps. High five

He is co-founder of a major mobile devlopment shop dealing primarily in IOS apps. I don't think he would be Jailbreaking his phone or using that as a criteria in an article.

derek

TRIBE Member
i also have a rooted s gII but would most likely get the nexus 4 today if i needed a new phone for the same reason glych pointed out.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Another vote for the Nexus 4 phone.

I just got mine this week and love everything about it with the one small exception of battery life. All reviews seems to point out that the battery life could be a tad better and I've noticed this too. If you play around with the phone a lot you'll suck it dry. If you leave it at your side and use it sparingly (like I did today) you'll see battery life to be pretty decent. I'm at 58% right now from a full charge at 6:00AM.

For the price of this phone, you get one of the best Android products out there, a world unlocked phone plus stock Android which gives you the latest updates first.

Lobo

P.S. I'll be selling my iPhone4 soon just in case. :p
Did you buy it off google.com? Or at a retailer? Where the hell does one get one of these?

lobo

TRIBE Member
From play.google.com

A few of the local providers are selling them now but at hundreds of dollars more.

Lobo

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
i kind of want to order the Nexus 4 now -_-, all this talk of new phones !!!! ahhhhhh

Who wants to buy my used galaxy S2 rooted with Jellybean 4.1.2 on it :)

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
If you don't mind the size, the Samsung Galaxy Note II has been an excellent phone for me so far. I'd definitely recommend it.

I thought about Nexus, given the update cycle is faster for versions of android, but decided that was of less importance to me.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories