• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Best of Street View - Compilations

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Can someone explain this? Is Rafman an artist who is reappropriating or is he the one who uses the camera?

Because some of those were already posted online and frankly, if you're not screen capturing a moving image, this is borderline stealing and crediting yourself.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
It could be art, yes but I've seen those photos posted elsewhere already.

If he had screen captured a video, that's different. But if he just took the photos, blew them up, then... that's plagiarism.

acheron

TRIBE Member
dude is apparently an artist

Jon Rafman

he does other media as well - apparently this stuff is up in galleries. but yeah it's totally lifted.

I guess it's his choice which frames to appropriate and he's recontextualizing them by curating the series and blowing them up big time and putting them in a gallery. of course that might not fit everyone's description of 'art'...

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

dig this

TRIBE Member
shit... browsing around Google Street View all day and being a recognized as a respected artist for it... damn, I could be a modern day Picasso! If only I'd get off my ass and stop messing around at work all day.

edit: If this is art then the Amusing/Strange/Random Picture thread is the freaking Louvre.

edit x 2... still cool stuff though.

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
dude is apparently an artist

jon rafman

he does other media as well - apparently this stuff is up in galleries. But yeah it's totally lifted.

I guess it's his choice which frames to steal and he's plagiarizing them by curating the series and blowing them up big time and putting them in a gallery. Of course that might not fit everyone's description of 'art'...

fixed! :d

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
thats not really artistic.
thats more like ....i dunno.... a compilation of research ...

google street view is seriously the shit, you dont even need to go on vacation, you can just pick somewhere and drive all over it and see it all thru street view. like last night I drove all over the cabot trail.

I love google street view, Its like the greatest invention ever.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders