• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Best New Music 2016

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Best music 2016

Yeah perhaps this Board is not the place for this anymore, but fuck it, I’m bored. (“I’m the Chairman of the Bored”! Iggy Pop. haha).

Ok as far as these lists go, mine is ultimately entirely subjective, and not based on how much I “objectively” appreciate and respect an album/artist, and more on how much I actually listened to it.

So, here goes, my faves of 2016:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - “Skeleton Tree”: : Recorded before and after the untimely accidental death of one of his teenage sons, Nick Cave and Co. release an album of devastating grace, beauty, and power. But don’t don’t take my word for it. Still currently the #1 highest rated 2016 album on Metacratic (followed closely by Beyonce’s “Lemonade”). But whatevs. IMO, best Bad Seeds album, Ever.

Warpaint - “Heads Up” - This time, the girls decided to err on the poppier sides of their ongoing Cure fixation. And the results are… best album they’ve ever done. Also, they score bonus points for the truly superlative drumming of Mme Stella Mozgawa .What. Like the Police? Youve got a Stewart Copeland in your back pocket? (Yeah, she’s that good).

Chairlift - “Moth” : in the existential ecosystem of things, here I think the lovely Carloline P is somehow stuck between a rock and a meandering hard/soft place. Whatevs. She’s pushing her voice to the limits, and her producer partner is laying down immaculately textured sounds.
On repeat. All year.
….Which is to say, why the hell was this released in January? It’s got sunshine summertime vibes written all over it.
Also, they score a few extra points because they wrote a song called, um…. “Polymorphing”.
I feel validated here.

Jessy Lanza - “Oh No” : Hamilton’s girl decided to bounce back and up her game in the face of increasing competition in the female alt-r&b electropop spectrum, and it’s an excellent album. Also, she’s really great live. I saw her show this past summer.

M83 - “Junk” - On a sprawling double album there’s bound to be a few wack tracks, but the great stuff is a lot of fun. And, the great stuff = anything with Mai Lan singing on it.

Underworld - “Barbara Barbara” ….” Despite a couple underwhelming tracks, this album is a major retutn to form for these aging guys. I mean, Low Burn, I Exhale, Nylon Strung…. are, imo, among the best songs they’ve ever made. Basically, all the new songs they perform live.

Underworld - If Rah

Blood Orange - “Freetown Sound” - Solid album. Dev really knows how to pull a personal best from his (mostly) female collaborators, including Carly Rae, Debbie Harry, and the exquisite Empress Of.

Blood Orange - I Know (Official Video)

Kaytranada - “99.9%” : Ok, it’s great that Montreal’s newest claim to fame won the 2016 Polaris Prize (I personally would have went with Grimes or Jessy Lanza)…… honestly, his album reminds me of all the downtempo/trip hop I listened to, 15-20 years ago.

KAYTRANADA - LITE SPOTS

Teen vs. Kristen Kontrol - “Love, Yes”/ “X-Communicate” - All these ladies are showing their 80s/90s electropop roots. That being said, many solid songs across both albums.

TEEN - "Free Time" (official music video)
Kristin Kontrol - "Smoke Rings" | Pitchfork

El Perro del Mar - “Kokoro” : Yeah, maybe cuz she’s Swedish and over there they have less issues with *cultural appropriation” than us here, cuz Sarah’s appropriating Asian musical elements all over the place… However, the result is some genuinely pleasing songs.
She does lose some points, however, because her live show which I saw a month back was really fucking boring.

El Perro Del Mar - Breadandbutter

Also, I haven’t checked out their latest album, but this song and vid by Phantogram is really great:

Phantogram - You Don’t Get Me High Anymore

Also, this Solange song and vid are really great:

SOLANGE - CRANES IN THE SKY (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Ok, I don't know why all the youtube vids didn't load directly, and there's only the links. But whatevs. I'm not going to bother to edit.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
I do love an end of the year "best of" list.

Savages - Adore Life
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Diiv - Is The Is Are
Roisin Murphy - Take Her Up To Monto
Gold Panda - Good Luck And Do Your Best
Pinkshinyultrablast - Grandfeathered

I'm sure I'm forgetting things.

And I haven't listened to the full albums yet, but I'm pretty much loving everything I've heard so far from the following albums, so time to get cracking:
Agnes Obel - Citizen of Glass
Kate Tempest - Let Them Eat Chaos

The 1st single off the Nick Cave album makes me want to ugly cry. It's so good. I should really listen to the rest of the album.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Yussef Kamaal - Black Focus
Kamasi Washington - The Epic
Jordan Rakei - Cloak
Anderson Paak - Malibu
Theo Croker - Escape Velocity
NXWORRIES - Yes Lawd!

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
Favourite albums: