• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Best New Music 2015 edition

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Yeah I realize everyone here is all growed up and they don’t bother with this *list* shit anymore. But I do. So here gos:

Personally, I thought this year was exceptional for new music, with great stuff jumping out the gate all the way back in February. A refreshing change from 2014, where my top 10 list felt *compromised*. Also of note: Bands/Artists whom’ve made my top 3 in previous years released albums that left me, well, underwhelmed.
Anyhoo, this is my tops, more or less in order:

Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness - *Newsflash*: Some weirdo cat-lady/art-chick-next-door makes Best Album of the Year. What to make of this majestic cocktail? Mix one part 1960s psychedelia, one part Joni Mitchell in her *Mingus* phase, a bit of Nyman-esque chamber pop, some free-associative lyricism, and what you get is this powerfully strange gem where the most surprising quality is just how accessible and appealing it is. (cuz normally I would hate this). However, this album works completely on every level. Best album of the year, in no small part for being so refreshingly different from everything else out there this year.

2)Battle of the faerie-pixie weirdo chicks: Grimes vs Braids
- yeah, we had to wait for Grimes to drop her album, and the verdict is:
Grimes "Art Angels" - Claire B. clearly obsessed and worked her ass off on this disk, and it shows. And it's a mess of insane tracks, of which "Kill Vs Maim" is a standout. It's also loaded up with large-venue performance-ready bangers, and so, imo, Grimes still retains her crown of Queen of the weirdo pixie-faerie chicks.
That being said, Montreal's Braids dropped "Into the Iris" way back in February, and, on last listen, it's still an opulent, gorgeous faerie-synthpop album, one I had on repeat for many months. Also, I saw them live at their record release party in a puny club in Mile End, Mtl here, and that was a real treat. (also, totally sold out crowd. fun).
3) Oh, and sorry Purity Ring, but "another eternity" was just outright fucking boring.

3) Battle of the (Black) chick EPs! : Kelela vs Nicole Moudaber/Skin vs Fka Twigs:

-Kelela "Hallucinogen" - basically taking everything that made her *mixtape* Cut4Me and refining and improving it. My only complaint is there's only 5 songs. 9/10.

- Nicole Moubaber/Skin - (collaborative ep) : Honestly, this is channeling dark 1990s trip hop (aka Massive Attack/Tricky) more than anything. Highly effective reptile-brain techno 8/10

- FKA Twigs (weird numerically named ep) - this one bugs me, as FKA Twigs LP1 was, by far, my fave album of 2014. So I'm not sure why this ep left me almost ambivalent. Whatevs, It's still listen-able, so 7/10

Anyways, I continue with my tops list, later, as this actually involves a lot of work, and I need to go pee. So, To Be Continued.

Stop Bill C-10

diablo

TRIBE Member
Album of the year:

rhhead.jpg

I obvs heard various good dance music tracks, but no particular artist or album (ha!) jumps out at me. I think dance music in general is sliding more and more into "EDM" and wishy-washy genre-less blobs. Not too much stuff excites me these days. If I had to pick, I'd say that DJ Koze and D'Marc Cantu have popped up on my radar more often. "XTC" was a good tune:

[YOUTUBE]CYiTkGjO7Rc[/YOUTUBE]

diablo

TRIBE Member
Forgot about Jessy Lanza. She's good:

[YOUTUBE]dhvjL98MJEU[/YOUTUBE]

I also generally approve of the modest revival of quality acid techno.

diablo

TRIBE Member
ALSO the new album from Advance Base, who makes the best moping music in history:

[YOUTUBE]lvMn91xVosE[/YOUTUBE]

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Forgot about Jessy Lanza. She's good:

[YOUTUBE]dhvjL98MJEU[/YOUTUBE]

err.. no. I love Jessy Lanza, but that rmxed ep falls into the category of "I wanna be sedated", along with the two prozac fueled by Beach House this past year. (yeah, not one, but two sedative -nducing Beach House albums!... which, after the almost U2 like intensity of 2012 "Bloom: (er, and by that I mean 1980s U2),,,,,, I mean what the f*ck, are you you two heavily sedated or something? How could you release, not one, but two albums in one year that are just aural prozac.
Mais, entoutcas, I feel the same way about Jessy's lazy ep. eh.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
ok, to continue:

4) Courtney Barnett "Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit" -It’s like Nirvana with really great lyrics. Not that (RIP) Kurt’s lyrics were awful, but Courtney’s? Wow man… soooooooo smart and witty. Try getting through this without a shitfaced grin of glee. And somehow I'm not surprised that Grunge is making a resurgence from Australia.

5) Jamie XX "In Colour" - While The XX nailed a great sound and stuck with it, here, Jamie XX is like a new DJ who just absorbed a whole fresh whack of sounds and is trying to order and make sense of it. And the results are spectacular.

6) Natalie Prass "self-titled debut" - A somewhat strange leftfield alt-country album, where Ms. Prass is channeling old Disney theme songs as much as anything. However, the real reason she's in my top 10 is that I saw her and her band at the Mtl Jazz Fest this past summer, and "ok, this is why she got signed". She's utterly magnetic live.

7) Disclosure "Caracel" vs Big Grams - No reinventing the wheel here, just good fun

ok then, I'll finish up later

hummus

TRIBE Member
Floating Points - Elaenia
On heavy rotation, its a great album from start to end, album of the year?
[YOUTUBE]5ntcVE3AQsg[/YOUTUBE]

björk - Vulnicura
Shes back, and i don't mean in the "oh look, its björk's new album", no.I didnt connect with her last couple of albums for some reason, so I'm glad that this one is great. It just reminds me of that nice tingly feeling she always gave when someone tapped that inner vulnerability that you have deep inside, with out disrupting it. its her "release" album
[YOUTUBE]MWHpoJT3qK4[/YOUTUBE]

Four Tet - Morning side
[YOUTUBE]3x3lIW4M7ik[/YOUTUBE]

Missy Elliott is also back but it doesn't feel like she ever left. I was expecting news of her coming out as a lessie rather than an album, but her she is.
[YOUTUBE]KO_3Qgib6RQ[/YOUTUBE]

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Floating Points - Elaenia
On heavy rotation, its a great album from start to end, album of the year?
[YOUTUBE]5ntcVE3AQsg[/YOUTUBE]
Weird, Floating Points was going to be my number 8, along with Holly Herndon "Platform". Ms. Herndon's album basically sounds like Aphex Twin remixing the latest Bjork/Arca stuff, and if that sounds like something you might like, you're gonna love it.

"Missy Elliott is also back but it doesn't feel like she ever left. I was expecting news of her coming out as a lessie rather than an album, but her she is.
[YOUTUBE]KO_3Qgib6RQ[/YOUTUBE]

I need to check this out. That bass beat is just killer here. Btw, why did Missy Elliott disappear for so long? It's not like her last album was shit or anything.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
ok let's finish up:

9) Florence + Machine "How Big How Beautiful..." vs Marina and Diamonds "Froot": Both these ladies’ lyrics seem so self-absorbed and personal to the point of ‘oversharing’. That being said, they both engage in dynamic vocal pyrotechnics and effective ‘indie’ alt-pop arrangements, so it’s all good. Also, they're both kick-ass live performers.

10) Coeur de Pirate "Roses": Pretty much working directly from the Leonard Cohen playbook, and she’s good at it. Also, several songs are in French, and they don’t suck!

ok, that's it for now

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
I thought 2015 was a great year for music.

Roisin Murphy - Hairless Toys
U.S. Girls - Half Free
Pinkshinyultrablast - Everything Else Matters
Jamie XX - In Colour
Deerhunter - Fading Frontier
Kurt Vile - b'lieve i'm going down

I'm obsessed with one Julia Holter song, but I haven't listened to the rest of the album yet. So maybe she'll get added to the list.

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
Another year is disappearing quickly into the rearview mirror. Agree this has been a great year for music, in full length albums, singles and remixes. So much to choose from, and a few have been mentioned already:

Grimes, Panda Bear, Jamie XX all put out albums that exceeded expectations. Grimes was some time in the making, but tracks like California make up for the long wait.

In addition to these albums some love for:

- Majical Cloudz - Are You Alone - somber & melancholy all wrapped up into one. A great headphone listen.

- Beach House - Depression Cherry - Taking elements of some of my favourite bands and building with each release. Some great tracks on this album.

- Gacha - Send Two Sunsets - Some housey/summery goodness (with a little cowbell).

- Nick Hoppner - Folk - Some dirty beats, and some uplifting goodness. All tied up with one of my favourite tracks of the year "Come Closer".

Floating Points has potential to nudge into my top ten.

I have to give some love to Tame Impala. Maybe a little bit of overplay happening on this one, but it is a solid album from start to finish.

On the Canadiana front - Both Joel Plaskett and Great Lake Swimmers put out solid albums this year.

Also should throw in Valet - Nature. A quiet little album which captures a really nice showgazey vibe.

Loving the John Talabot dub remix of Jamie XX - Loud Places. Probably one of my favourite remixes of the year.

hummus

TRIBE Member
Another year is disappearing quickly into the rearview mirror. Agree this has been a great year for music, in full length albums, singles and remixes. So much to choose from, and a few have been mentioned already:

Grimes, Panda Bear, Jamie XX all put out albums that exceeded expectations. Grimes was some time in the making, but tracks like California make up for the long wait.

In addition to these albums some love for:

- Majical Cloudz - Are You Alone - somber & melancholy all wrapped up into one. A great headphone listen.

- Beach House - Depression Cherry - Taking elements of some of my favourite bands and building with each release. Some great tracks on this album.

- Gacha - Send Two Sunsets - Some housey/summery goodness (with a little cowbell).

- Nick Hoppner - Folk - Some dirty beats, and some uplifting goodness. All tied up with one of my favourite tracks of the year "Come Closer".

Floating Points has potential to nudge into my top ten.

I have to give some love to Tame Impala. Maybe a little bit of overplay happening on this one, but it is a solid album from start to finish.

On the Canadiana front - Both Joel Plaskett and Great Lake Swimmers put out solid albums this year.

Also should throw in Valet - Nature. A quiet little album which captures a really nice showgazey vibe.

Loving the John Talabot dub remix of Jamie XX - Loud Places. Probably one of my favourite remixes of the year.

That Beach House album rubbed me the wrong way, it sounds exactly like the one before(which i enjoyed for a period of time), now it made me not want to listen to either of them, to me they're like the Enya for our times, 39 albums and they all sound the same.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
well, now that more *official* publications are posting their year-end tops lists, it's fun to cross-ref and compare. (with my own tops list).
And of these, Courtney Barnett and Jamie XX are most consistently cracking the top 10 on these other lists.
In the meantime, both Grimes and Julia Holter are hitting #1 on a few lists, while not appearing in the top 20 of others, if at all.
Braids is nowhere to be seen, which is a surprise.
Also, some love and attention is being given to both Nathalie Prass and Holly Herndon on a few lists.

Seems like a lot of critics are in love with Kendrick Lamar, Drake, Future, and, um, Carley Rae Jepson, whose "Emotion" lp is getting a lot of love.

Seems to be the consensus that 2015 was indeed an exceptional year for new music.

hummus

TRIBE Member
Fatima Yamaha - Imaginary Lines
Citizens and Love Invaders, have been on my daily playlist.
[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/magnetronmusic/love-invaders[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
That Beach House album rubbed me the wrong way....

Yeah, agreed, both with Depression Cherry and Thank Your Lucky Stars.
Imo, if you take all the decent songs from both albums, you'd have a decent 5 song ep.
What's surprising is Depression Cherry is charting pretty high on all these other critic's lists.
However, to my ears, both albums are the equivalent of aural prozac, designed to put you to sleep pretty quick.

That being said, "Bloom" was, by far, my fave album of 2012. So, it's like, what? Beach House toured constantly and then came home and popped a bunch of sedatives and went into the studio?

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
Yeah, agreed, both with Depression Cherry and Thank Your Lucky Stars.
Imo, if you take all the decent songs from both albums, you'd have a decent 5 song ep.
What's surprising is Depression Cherry is charting pretty high on all these other critic's lists.
However, to my ears, both albums are the equivalent of aural prozac, designed to put you to sleep pretty quick.

That being said, "Bloom" was, by far, my fave album of 2012. So, it's like, what? Beach House toured constantly and then came home and popped a bunch of sedatives and went into the studio?

same here. i listened to depression cherry a few times and it was like an instant snooze fest. i love their last two albums, so i was pretty disappointed.