1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Best Man

Discussion in 'Guys Stuff Forum' started by Big Harv, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Big Harv

Big Harv TRIBE Member

I would appreciate your thoughts on whether there are any circumstances where it would be appropriate to turn down a groom who wants you to be their best man and if so what the etiquette is of doing so to avoid hurt feelings.

2. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Why would you ever want to do that? It's an honour! Unless you really don't like the guy, in which case I suspect maybe you shouldn't be friends..

3. Big Harv

Big Harv TRIBE Member

what if you are not friends and you are asked anyways?

4. ian

ian TRIBE Member

5. octo

octo TRIBE Member

with out knowing details of the situation i would say suck it up and be his best man. maybe the guy has no friends, you'd be doing a good deed.

6. Big Harv

Big Harv TRIBE Member

that is the impression I've received.

7. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

i would hate to go through all the hard work and time commitment of being someone's best man/maid of honour if i didn't think of them as a close friend. it would seem like a bit of a sham. i would make an exception if the person was related to me.

ugh. i don't know how i would graciously back out of that situation though. i don't envy your position.

8. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

Its dicey all around, especially if its family. I think this isnt one of the moments you should be selfish and do whats right for you, and your significant other? Clearly they want to be involved, so let them, there are tons of roles to go around yes?

9. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

I'm curious as to know how you were asked to be the best man to someone you're not even that close with? Does the guy's family live in another city or something?

10. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Unless you are boinking his wife, do it. Free drinks brah!

11. Big Harv

Big Harv TRIBE Member

let's say hypothetically the answer to your first question is that the groom to be is marrying your sister after a very brief courtship and a combination of a well intentioned but perhaps not the most socially astute sister who thinks of this as a great honour calling the shots combined with the fact that said groom may not have any friends to speak of perhaps as a result of being somewhat socially awkward himself and the answer to the second question being "yes" led to this hypothetical person being asked to potentially being the best man depsite not being friends nor particularly liking or having anything in common really with the groom. hypothetically.

12. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Well if this were hypothetically the situation, one might be able to get out of it by telling one's sister that it's somewhat inappropriate to be one's future brother-in-law's best man.

Other than that, you're sorta stuck...

13. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

the dude is marrying your sister?
    assuming you dont totally hate your sister, you have to do it. its basically just like being your sisters maid of honour, except you cant cause youre a boy, so you have to be the guys best man.

perhaps you could say you are not comfortable being the best man, but would be honoured to be a groomsman.

dude cant help that he has no friends, it was a probably embarassing for him to have to ask you in the first place. He'll be CRUSHED if you turn him down, CRUSHED BEYOND BELIEF, HE WILL PROBABLY WEEP FOR A WEEK. how could you do that to someone. You bastard. :p

14. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

This happened to me. Buddy from University asked me to be his best man. He thought we were friends.

I sat him down over a beer and gave him this straight goods. Told him it was a honor to be asked but I couldn't fulfill the obligation of being bestman and did not want to be added stress on what should be a stress free day.

He understood and found someone else.

15. derek

derek TRIBE Member

do it for your sister.

16. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

you cold bastard!

did you at least pay for his beer?