1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Best free anti-virus software?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rave jedi, Jul 12, 2010.

1. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

Used the ever so popular free AVG software for years, but I`ve heard it`s gone downhill for some time now. Anyway, I`ve got to install a much better free anti-virus program to this machine. What`s very good, free and known to be the most reliable anti-virus software out there today?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Microsoft Security Essentials for people with a valid windows license key, is the best rated and reviewed by most gadget and tech blogs, and its free.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Ad-Aware also just put out their newest free installer, with Spyware + Anti Virus, i have it installed as well, just to see if it picked up anything MSSE didnt, and comp was clean.

http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Free-Internet-Security/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

hope this helps.

[jai]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  3. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

whats wrong with AVG free these days?

4. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

what he said. Windows Essentials is easy to install and easy to use

5. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Another vote for Microsoft Security Essentials.

Lobo

6. g0nz0

g0nz0 TRIBE Member

+1

7. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

OK, nobody here has mentioned Avast or Avira free anti-virus which were on my google search as better substitutes for AVG.

It`s appears that Microsoft Security Essentials is the winner in this thread. However, my problem is that my new desktop was bought with Windows 7 pre-loaded. I`ve looked at everything that came in this stupid box from BEST BUY. I don`t believe it came with a product key since my OS came pre-loaded with the machine.

So what do I do now since everyone here is pushing Microsoft Security Essentials as the best free anti-virus software out there?

8. glych t.anomaly

LOL, just install it, the installation confirms its valid, you dont physically key in the License Key, the installation takes care of that.

just download and install.

voila :)

[jai]

ps - you can find the ID on your comp ... right click on your ' Computer/Properties '

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  9. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

for most microsoft product downloads, as long as the OS knows it's "genuine advantage blah blah blah" it will install and not ask for any serials as they are imbedded into the registry and the software can verify it as valid during the install. Actually, if you download it from the Microsoft download site it will probably as to verify your os before showing you the download button.

as for your computer that came pre-installed, it should have the os' serial number on a sticker somewhere on your hardware, if it's a laptop it's usually on the bottom, if it's a desktop it's usually on the side.

10. glych t.anomaly

the link i posted in the first reply, lets you download, and confirms Windows Validation in the installation process.

simple.

[jai]

11. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Avira. I would even pay for it.

12. glych t.anomaly

13. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

14. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

15. Silverback92

Silverback92 TRIBE Member

16. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

I would like to know the answer to this. I've been reading through forums, but haven't found anything wrong with AVG, just that MSE is more betterer,

17. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

18. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

whats the second best free one out there??

19. glych t.anomaly

AVG imo uses more resources, i dont believe it has as comprehensive a list for virues, malware etc, is not updated as frequently, and the worst part, it looks like, and is possibly the company that sent all those dick free trial periods, and infected your computer with a virus just to buy their fucking software.

PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT

@ Louie - 2nd best is MSSE as well, as well as 3,4,5 and anything below 5 can fuck off, cuz they are prolly trying to infect you as well.

[jai]

20. Silverback92

Silverback92 TRIBE Member

21. Kalemic

Kalemic TRIBE Promoter

I went from paying for antivirus apps, to MSE then found that MSE could cause RPC latency when used in conjunction with P2P apps.

Made the switch to Avast awhile ago and its been great. Catches stuff when needed, hardly any false positives and is quite unobtrusive. On top of that the new version can provide auto sandboxing for anything of question. I've tried a lot and have definitely been happiest with Avast, even over the paying ones (bitdefender, Nod32).

22. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

is everyone also running the OS with at least 2 user accounts - one that's Admin, and only used for admin stuffz like installs and updates, and a second account that's not got admin privileges for everything else?

23. glych t.anomaly

i never do that.

One Account Admin Login, partitoned HD's, so the OS is seperate from all storage. Zero guests.

why would you want to use a account that has no privileges ?

[jai]

24. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Less chance of malicious s/w being installed?

Jay

25. glych t.anomaly

ah i see what you mean, and im an idiot.

* picard facepalm *

ill go back to sitting in my corner.

[jai]