• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Best camp sites / parks in Ontario?

Re: Shoe

TRIBE Member
In terms of car camping for families:

- Another vote for Awenda.
- Pinery is awesome. Great beaches.
- Big thumbs down to Pres'quile. Backside is a swamp, so the bugs are terrible. No beach. When we were there we drove the kids to Sandbanks!

Going to book Killbear for car camping with friends this summer - heard good things from others, and good to hear it echoed in this thread. Family backcountry canoe trip to Killarney - I've never been, and we wanted to switch it up from Algonquin.

Maui

TRIBE Member
I've looked it up before because my parents always stay there when they come visit with the trailer. It didn't impress me so much from what I saw online.

They just moved to the Cambridge area and before they could say a word I made a demand that we were not going there but to Bruce National.

I'm sure the beach must be nice kind of similar to Sauble.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I hear ya about the online pictures. Not very flattering. Looks a bit crappy. Most beaches on Lake Huron are very nice. We can always head out to some other places, but i was hoping for a nice beach for the kids.

Liability

TRIBE Member
I hear ya about the online pictures. Not very flattering. Looks a bit crappy. Most beaches on Lake Huron are very nice. We can always head out to some other places, but i was hoping for a nice beach for the kids.
We went to Presquile last year and thought it had a great beach which is very kid friendly. Some of the sites suffer badly from bugs, but there are some more open sites on the water that still have shade.

orchid

TRIBE Member
Has anyone here utilized the campsite(s) at the Nottawasaga Bluffs Conservation Area? Or does anyone know of a spot to camp in the Creemore area, outside of a provincial park?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Campsite booked for summer vacation!

And for the record, 5 months in advance means 7AM 5 months in advance, not midnight 5 months in advance. Odd for an online based system...

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Going to try Charleston lake. I've heard good things and it's only about 90 mins drive from my house.

We were originally planning Achray in Algonquin which I really like but I think the kids are still a bit too young to take full advantage so we're going for a more "family" oriented park.

We did Bon Echo and Finlayson point last year

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I just found this thread and I am kind of dismayed to hear you have to book campsites like 6 months in advance... I am looking to treasure hunt some beaches in the Awenda area and I am wondering if there is any crown land around there I can set up a tent instead... I don't need programming or glitzy camp areas, just a place to bunk out for a night or 2...

Liability

TRIBE Member
I just found this thread and I am kind of dismayed to hear you have to book campsites like 6 months in advance... I am looking to treasure hunt some beaches in the Awenda area and I am wondering if there is any crown land around there I can set up a tent instead... I don't need programming or glitzy camp areas, just a place to bunk out for a night or 2...
Booking 6 months in advance only holds true for popular campgrounds and prime sites. Most sites will hold walk on spots available or have group or overflow camping for people who do not mind that sort of thing.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I believe it's actually ontario parks policy to keep a certain percentage of sites as non reservable (first come first served) Awenda is a bit of a hike to find out that you just missed the last site though.

You can find out where there is any crown land here. Depending what facilities you'd use at a provincial park crown land can be a much better deal. Note that you can bring your guns and your dirtbikes and your rowdy drunk friends onto crown land. That may or may not be to your advantage.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I would say between 2 and 7 hours depending on the date and time you left! I think that's a good question for google.

justin surdit

TRIBE Member
My parents used to live up that way in Port Loring, that is where I would always turn off the 400. Never camped there, nor have I heard anyone who has say anything good about it.

If you are looking for back country style, there is quite a few really well decked out crown land (re: free) sites nearby. If you want some hints let me know.

And I meant that in response to the Grundy Lake question...

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
cool thanks - that whole area is really nice. I would really like to do back-country camping somewhere along French River some time, but this particular trip is more of a glamping affair. :D

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Opeongo is my fave place to start a canoe trip.

Bon echo has sites that are close together, but one of the best views I'm the province

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I am hitting up the Pinery , McGregory Parks and a little backcounty up in Dorset. I'm renting a eight foottent trailer for the Pinery but my brother just bought a 12 footer. So jealous. Looks nice on the inside with plenty of room. As soon as the boys are old enough for a canoe we are paddling in to our sites.