• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

BEST and WORST DVD Commentaries

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
Donnie Darko is pretty awful. All they keep repeating is how they had to cut this & this scene out & how when you're making a commercially viable flick you only have a 90 min timeframe & how you have to cut so much out even though it's so good. They did this throughout the whole film.

:rolleyes:

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I don't usually listen to the commentaries, but the fucking worst I've ever heard has go t to be on Rules of Attraction. It's Carrot-Top, who has nothing at all to do with the movie.

I guess they were trying to go for the experience of actually watching a movie with Carrot Top sitting next to you, and they achieved that. Oh god.

It's hard to pinpoint just one disgusting moment, but there's the scene at the beginning where he's literally like "oh, some sex...that's pretty hot...do it do it....oh. She's being raped."

Fuck.

rod_g

TRIBE Member
Favorites that i can think of right now

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (the original) ... If you are a fan it's great. It's all kids from the original movie doing the commentary, doing the usual scene play-by-play

Swingers - Vince Vaughan + Jon Favreau talking shit telling stories and laughing, just like in the movie. Good times

Oh and Napolean Dynamite's commentary was a let down. The director is pretty boring, and Jon Heder is "ok". Nothing too creative, and he actual just repeats alot of the script

Brandon

TRIBE Member
Futurama totally spoiled me on TV series commentaries...great ones on EVERY episode! Pure jokes. I was expecting the same thing with Firefly, due to the similarities (geek/fanboy demographic, anti-Fox attitude, cast and crew totally dedicated and obsessed with the project, etc.) but there were only three or four commentaries scattered throughout...luckily the Firefly commentaries are good...quality over quantity I suppose.

Galactic Phantom

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Flashy_McFlash
I don't usually listen to the commentaries, but the fucking worst I've ever heard has go t to be on Rules of Attraction. It's Carrot-Top, who has nothing at all to do with the movie.

I guess they were trying to go for the experience of actually watching a movie with Carrot Top sitting next to you, and they achieved that. Oh god.

It's hard to pinpoint just one disgusting moment, but there's the scene at the beginning where he's literally like "oh, some sex...that's pretty hot...do it do it....oh. She's being raped."

Fuck.
Best:
You Got Served
Rules of Attraction - Carrot Top commentary.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Strangely, I have to say one of my favourite commentaries is on Love Actually. I found Hugh Grant to be hilarious on it. Bizarre and a little embarassing I know . :)

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Galactic Phantom
Best:
You Got Served
Rules of Attraction - Carrot Top commentary.
I've heard of the Carrot Top commentary on Rules of Attraction but never actually got around to checking it out - why does Carrot Top make an appearance?

Access

TRIBE Member
Good:

Ali G season 1. It's hilarious because Sasha Baron Cohen comments on what was going through his head while he was interviewing these people. He talks about stuff they shot that they had to take out because his cover was blown.

In the one when Borat goes speed dating he said the woman who was told she would be crushed if she cheated on Borat actually wanted to arrange a second date.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Stan
Best commentaries ever:

Quentin Tarantino - True Romance

but there's also a slater/arquette commentary that's godawful. they have nothing to say about the film or to each other.

i loved the time bandits commentary (gilliam is funny, i'm sure that's no surprise to anyone.) spinal tap's is hilariousness.