• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

BEST and WORST DVD Commentaries

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Anyone else obsessed with these? Ever since DVDs came out, I have been TOTALLY addicted to listening to the commentary. Especially if it's the director or the writer.

I like deleted scenes and alternate endings but nothing gets my cock harder than when I sit down with a good movie and a good DVD commentary.

Any particular ones that I should check out? Any ones that I should avoid?

BEST:
Michael Patrick King (Director and Writer) on Sex and the City. This is by far, the most concise, insightful and informative commentary. Not only is he articulate but he is also very entertaining. I really think his commentary highlights the soul of an artist's process. And really touches on how an artist gets inspired.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Not only is John Cameron Mitchell a brilliant director and actor, but he's a fantastic commentator. Some of the funniest shit I've ever heard. I could listen to him talk for hours and hours.

Clerks and Chasing Amy. Kevin Smith. Jay falls asleep because he's drunk. 'Nuff said.

Sharon and Jack Osbourne on the Osbourne DVDs. Kelly needs to fucking get punched in. But Jack actually gives a lot of great insight into the way the show is made.

WORST
American Beauty. Sam Mendes is a totally redundant and blabbering bore. Alan Ball does such a good job explaining and describing scenes but Sam Mendes goes on and on about cinema in general and really doesn't give AB too much focus.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I think Michel Gondry is one of the most amazing image makers. Ever. But god, his accent kills me. I get so annoyed by the end.

Does Napoleon Dynamite have commentary?

Last edited:

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
worst: oceans 11... brad pitt generally sucks in his talkovers but this one takes the cake.

best: I like the Futurama commentaries cause they are so keen on how awesome their show is. its really cute/funny.
The banter on mr. show is really good and I also chuckled at the Super Troopers commentaries.

saddest: okay... my friend Sam and I got a little pissed and decided to rent a bunch of movies and one of them was Dungeons and Dragons... with the guy who played Jimmy Olsen from Lois and Clark and Marlon Waynes.... horrible film, so we clicked on the commentary to distract ourselves while we sketched and they go on and on about how awesome this movie is going to be and how its going to be one in a series and all these other pipedreams that make really funny cause of how huge a bomb this flick was. poor bastards.

hopeful for: wrath of kahn with ricardo montebon... "in theeese scene, I am sitting in the captains chair upolstered in reeeech corinthian leather..."

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Good:

Fight Club. Even after I had seen that movie a half dozen times the Fincher, Pitt Carter and Norton commentary still pointed out stuff I hadn't noticed.

I've heard the Futurama commentary is pretty good.

Bad:

The Matrix commentary from the guy who invented the 'Bullet-Time' camera. He was so full of himself. He sounded like he had reinvented cinema or something

Best:

Ridley Scott's Gladiator
Trey Parker and Matt Stone's on any of their films (they're often drunk)
Paul Verhoven on Robocop (Criterion Edition)
David Cronenberg on Naked Lunch and the newly released special edition of The Fly (Criterion Edition)

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
ahh sunny! the eternal sunshine commentary is one of my all time faves!!
gondry is so incredibly stoked and insightful, and kaufman just has nothing to say. it totally cracked me up.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
ahh sunny! the eternal sunshine commentary is one of my all time faves!!
gondry is so incredibly stoked and insightful, and kaufman just has nothing to say. it totally cracked me up.
Maybe I missed that one? I don't remember Kaufman speaking at all.

Wait, I hope I'm not mistaking Eternal with Amelie. Shit, I have to check as now that you mention it, I think I actually cried while listening to Gondry talk about certain scenes....

Shit... I might have made a mistake..

ginsu

TRIBE Member
GOOD - I'm not the hugest fan of Kevin Smith, but his ones are often very funny since he and whomever is with him ends up making fun of Ben Affleck which is hilarious in itself.

The one for Fight Club with Fincher, Pitt and Norton is pretty good as they are all there and pretty casual with each other. I think the Se7en one with Pitt and Fincher again is well worth the listen.

Drunken Master - has a historian/fan on it very casually dropping facts on the cast and story. He's geek cool.

One day I'll try the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I've heard their commentaries are great.

BAD - Soderbergh's Criterion ed. of Traffic has him and the writer on it... it is very dull.

I love Brief Encounter by David Lean, but the commentary is basically by a historian reading comments of paper. Mind numbing.

The new Star Wars ones are meh.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
Good:

Fight Club. Even after I had seen that movie a half dozen times the Fincher, Pitt Carter and Norton commentary still pointed out stuff I hadn't noticed.
*GAAAAAAAAASP*

Scheduling a time to watch that this week..
In my underwear, total darkness, cigarettes...

Omg, I just came thinking about it. now WHY did I never think of checking to see if there was commentary???? WHOOHOO!

Stan

TRIBE Member
Best commentaries ever:

Quentin Tarantino - True Romance

Also, the commentary by the actual astronaut and his wife in Apollo 13.

ginsu

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
*GAAAAAAAAASP*

Omg, I just came thinking about it. now WHY did I never think of checking to see if there was commentary???? WHOOHOO!
I think there are 4 commentaries on that one...(including Chuck Palinuk (sp?)?

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ginsu
The new Star Wars ones are meh.
I can't imagine them discussing much except how awesome they used their own newly invented technology to waste a couple hours of our lives.

they should have a FAN track where we can complain or rave about the new movie with like four major keener-nerds (two for, two against) debating the "awesome-city" of the films!

if I ever make a movie, my mom has to do a commentary!!

Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
Bad:

The Matrix commentary from the guy who invented the 'Bullet-Time' camera. He was so full of himself. He sounded like he had reinvented cinema or something
True, but remember that that bullet time sequence that you see on the roof of the building while they were trying to steal the helecopter is probably one of the more memorable visuals that's comparable to the Millenium Falcon entering Hyperspace, the T-Rex in Jurassic Park and the T-1000 in Terminator 2. I'd be pretty fucking proud and full of myself if I was keeping that kind of company with my work.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ginsu
I think there are 4 commentaries on that one...(including Chuck Palinuk (sp?)?
I just died and came back as myself who just died.

4??? .......4???????
I feel like a fat kid at The Sizzler.
Maybe I'll watch one now.

I am really disappointed that Lost in Translation doesn't have a commentary. I mean, I know Sofia can be as interesting as drywall but it just seems wrong for her not to have one.
Same with Kill Bill. VERY disappointed.

Originally posted by MoFo
Same with Kill Bill. VERY disappointed.
There should be a much better one that Quentin Tarantino will record with the special edition he has planned somewhere down the line. The DVDs that were released were simply stop gap releases.

Last edited:

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
yeah the fight club commentaries really blazed the trail and set the precident for how they should be

other goodies: way of the gun and usual suspects (singer/mcquarrie)

another interesting one is spartan...more just because it's an insight into the running cuisinart that is the mind of val kilmer.

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
addendum: training day, borne id/supremacy, 21 grams, OLDSCHOOL, ANCHORMAN, confidence, big fish, love actually

and for the record i'll defend soderberg commentaries to the grave (including solaris)

Last edited:

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
the commentary on conan the barbarian, with ahnold, is hilarious. you HAVE to watch it with the commentary on, man - I keep recommending this to people and they keep passing on the word after they watch it.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
Best:

Evil Dead II - Collectors ed (the tin case one)

god in fact, any commentary w/ bruce campbell and sam rami = comedy gold

Worst: Alien

ridley scott puts me to sleep... what a fuckin boring commentary.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Brother Bear - as commented on by the two mooses (voiced by Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas)

It's pretty funny... not ground breaking at all... but still amusing.

zouk

TRIBE Member
The most entertaining and adoring one is definitley:

School of Rock

They have 2 commentaries, one with Jack Black & director Richard Linklater, which is freaking hilarious..

The other with all the kids. The Chinese keyboardist cracks me up!!